• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Academy Quiz (RESULTS ANNOUNCED)

Rules + Biology Questions

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Welcome, students, to the Bulbagarden Academy Quiz. During this test of knowledge, you will compete with your classmates for the title of Top Student in five different subjects: Biology, Math, History, Language, and Art. The student(s) who answers the most questions correctly from each category will win a commemorative badge. There is also a grand prize in store for the student who earns the highest overall points across all subjects.

Rules
  1. Answer submissions for each subject will close after 48 hours, at which time the next round will open.
  2. Submit your answers as a private message with @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono as recipients so that we can grade your responses. Include the words "Academy Quiz" in the title so we can easily find your answers.
  3. If you submit answers to multiple subjects, please use the same conversation to do so. Do not start a new conversation for each subject.
  4. You may research your answers before submitting, though some answers may be more difficult to find than others.
  5. Do not reveal your answers publicly until after the current round has concluded.
  6. You will earn 2 points per correct answer, adding up to 20 points per subject and 100 points in total. You will not be deducted points for incorrect or missing answers, so guessing is encouraged if you are unsure of an answer.

Below are the questions for the Biology portion of this quiz. You have 48 hours to submit your answers as a private message to @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono.

Biology Questions
  1. I hang from tree branches or the eaves of buildings using the suction cup on my head. Who am I?
  2. What real-life animal species was once named in a Pokédex entry but was edited out in later editions?
  3. According to its Pokédex entries, which Pokemon is capable of looking in all 360 degrees at once and generating enough force with the flapping of its wings to shatter glass?
  4. Out of the evolutionary stones available at the time, which could be used to evolve the least number of Pokémon species in Generation 1?
  5. I feed off of negative human emotions using the horn on my head. Who am I?
  6. What environmental condition in the Alola region allow the Exeggutor living there to take on a different appearance?
  7. What Pokémon type's attacks are resisted by the most other types?
  8. I create ice to encase my opponents using the crystals along my body. In the region I was discovered in, I am only obtainable by trainers at night. Who am I?
  9. What two Pokémon are tied for having the highest stat increase upon evolution?
  10. The highest number of unique abilities on a single Pokemon species is currently 6. Two Pokemon species can have this number of abilities, name one of them.

Last edited:
Mr. Clavell! Mr. Clavell! I looked everywhere around the Academy, but I couldn't find Ms. lisiathus! I think Ms. iono is substituting for her today. You should probably add Ms. iono's name to the board, just to be safe.

lisiathus seems to have changed her username to iono at some point between when Clavell made the post and right now. As a result, I had trouble sending the private message since lisiathus does not show up in the autocomplete. Could the Rules post be modifed to reflect lisiathus' current username?

• Staff
Mr. Clavell! Mr. Clavell! I looked everywhere around the Academy, but I couldn't find Ms. lisiathus! I think Ms. iono is substituting for her today. You should probably add Ms. iono's name to the board, just to be safe.

lisiathus seems to have changed her username to iono at some point between when Clavell made the post and right now. As a result, I had trouble sending the private message since lisiathus does not show up in the autocomplete. Could the Rules post be modifed to reflect lisiathus' current username?
Thanks for pointing this out, I'll correct this in the announcement shortly. If you've only been able to send it to me so far your answers will still be counted.
Oh, hey there Director! I was so busy catching Pokémon for the Pokédex that I didn't get to realize this was happening XD!
You still have a bit over an hour to respond to this subject's questions if you haven't yet!

Math Questions
  • Staff
Time is up! Responses for the Biology portion of this quiz are now closed. Click the spoiler below to reveal the answers.
  1. Chimecho
  2. Indian Elephant
  3. Yanma
  4. Thunder Stone
  5. Shuppet
  6. Strong sunlight
  7. Bug or Grass
  8. Aurorus
  9. Gyarados and Milotic
  10. Lycanroc or Mr. Mime

Points of Clarification:
1. Many said Pineco or Burmy. These are good guesses, but neither technically use a suction cup to stick to surfaces.
6. We accepted several different wordings, as long as you identified sunlight as the reason for the change.
7. As a couple of people pointed out, there were two answers to this one. When writing the questions we actually missed Grass as another option, hence why the question seemed to suggest there was only one answer. Credit was given for either Bug, Grass, or both.
8. In Pokémon X and Y, Aurorus was only obtainable outside of trading by evolving Amaura at night.
9. Both Magikarip/Feebas and Gyarados/Milotic are acceptable answers here.
10. Lycanroc has six abilities between its three forms. Both Kantonian and Galarian Mr. Mime have three abilities each with no overlap.

Below are the questions for the Math portion of this quiz. You have 48 hours to submit your answers as a private message to @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono. If you have submitted answers to previous rounds, please use the same conversation to submit for this round.

Math Questions
  1. Snorlax eats approximately 880 pounds (400 kg) of food every single day. How much food (in pounds or kilograms) does the average Snorlax consume in one week?
  2. How many Magnemite would be equal to the mass of one Magneton (measured in kilograms)?
  3. What is Munchlax’s base HP divided by its base Speed?
  4. In Generation 8, if a Farfetch’d holding a Leek uses Leaf Blade, what is the chance of the move being a critical hit?
  5. In Scarlet and Violet, what is the lowest price a player could pay for 20 Poké Balls of any type at the Poké Mart?
  6. Which Deoxys Forme has the lowest median of base stats?
  7. In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, between Potions, Super Potions, and Hyper Potions, which is the least cost efficient in terms of healing per cost to buy?
  8. In generation 6 and later, what is the probability of the move Detect being successful on the fourth consecutive use?
  9. In Generation 4 and beyond, If a Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on a Pelipper while holding the Magnet, what is the total damage multiplier?
  10. In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, when the player reaches Kanto, they can challenge gym leaders in any order desired. How many possible ways can the player challenge the Kanto gym leaders?

Last edited:
i knew about lycanroc for the last question, but i was surprised to find out mr mime was the other! i was expecting it to be like...deoxys or another pokemon with more than 2 forms (like lycanroc)!

Gyarados and Milotic
oops....i misunderstood this question xD i put magikarp and feebas..........:bulbaFacepalm:

• Staff
um...director, can we edit our answers after we send them in if it's still within the time limit? or..is it too late? :hmm:
I'm fine with you editing your answers before the answers are posted, just resubmit them in the conversation.

History Questions
Time is up! Responses for the Math portion of this quiz are now closed. Click the spoiler below to reveal the answers.
  1. 6160lbs or 2800kg
  2. 10 Magnemites
  3. 27
  4. 100%
  5. 3800 Pokémon Dollars
  6. Defense Form
  7. Hyper Potion
  8. 1/27 or approximately 3.7%
  9. x7.2
  10. 40320 different ways
Points of Clarification
5. Regular Poké Balls sell for 200 each. Buying 19 of these for 3800 would also result in a bonus Premier Ball. As some pointed out, this was inspired by Tyme's questions in Scarlet and Violet, though hers were flipped, asking how many balls could be obtained from a certain amount of money.
6. Defense form's base stats have a median of 80, which is lower than the other three forms.
7. The Hyper Potion heals for 120 HP and can be bought for $1500, which means it has a cost efficiency of 12.5 poke dollars per HP healed, which is higher than the other two potion types.
8. The question does assume the first three uses were successful, sorry for any confusion there. (1/3)^3=1/27.
9. A couple people pointed out that some bonuses affect damage and others affect power, but for the purposes of this question we lumped them together. Type effectiveness bonus = x4. STAB = x1.5. Magnet = x1.2. 4 x 1.5 x 1.2 = 7.2
10. 8! (8 factorial) = 40,320.

Below are the questions for the History portion of this quiz. You have 48 hours to submit your answers as a private message to @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono. If you have submitted answers to previous rounds, please use the same conversation to submit for this round.

History Questions
  1. Which Pokémon was the first to be conceptualized, according to designer Ken Sugimori?
  2. What is the exact date (month and day) that the Mythical Pokémon, Mew, was given its name by the scientists who discovered it?
  3. What was the very first episode of the Pokémon anime to be aired in the United States?
  4. Which town in the Pokémon world was built on top of a colony of Pokémon?
  5. What naturally occurring objects were the original Poké Balls crafted out of?
  6. What was Ash’s partner Pokémon planned to be in the original Pokémon anime before Pikachu?
  7. What was the last Pokémon game Nob Ogasawara localized for Game Freak?
  8. What type was represented by an Eeveelution in the Pokémon Gold and Silver beta version but was changed in the final version?
  9. Which Pokémon region has a local legend about a terrifying monster that fell from space and devours both people and Pokémon?
  10. What protein discovered in the human eye in 2008 is named after a Pokémon due to its role in carrying electric impulses quickly to the brain?

Last edited:
Language Questions
Time is up! Responses for the History portion of this quiz are now closed. Click the spoiler below to reveal the answers.
  1. Rhydon*
  2. July 10
  3. "Battle Aboard the St. Anne"
  4. Pacifidlog Town
  5. Apricorns
  6. Clefairy*
  7. Pokémon Platinum (also accepted Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)*
  8. Poison
  9. Unova
  10. Pikachurin
Points of Clarification
Clearly, History is not this educator's strong suit. There are a handful of answers listed above that are, as many pointed out, dubious at best. Because of this, we were very lenient on our scoring for many of these questions.

1. Rhydon has been stated to be "one of the first" Pokémon designed, and its title as the first ever is supported by the fact that its index number is 001 in Generation 1. However, declaring it as such is still ultimately speculation.
2. According to the Pokémon Mansion journal entries, Mew was discovered on July 5th, but it was not named until July 10th.
5. The answer we were looking for was Apricorns, but I commend those who also listed tumblestones or other materials historically used as well.
6. This was probably the most egregious example of our poor research. Clefairy being Ash's original intended starter is a "fact" that's been circulated around the internet for decades now, but there does not seem to be any verifiable source for this information. Clefairy did appear in much of the early promotional material and served as Red's partner Pokémon in the Pokémon Pocket Monsters manga that pre-dated the anime by a year. Anyone who listed Clefairy or pointed out our mistake here was given credit for this question.
7. The original answer we had intended for was Explorers of Sky, but as some pointed out, this game was not actually developed by Game Freak, so by the wording of the question it would not apply. However, because we felt it was only fair to give credit to those who made the same mistake as us in this scenario.
8. In the Gold and Silver Spaceworld '97 Demo, "Burakki," which served as the prototype for Umbreon, was Poison type.
9. This question referred to the legends surrounding Kyurem.

Thank you to all of the quiz-takers who are vigilant enough to fact check us and hold us accountable. While questions are more or less locked in for the rest of this event, if we run it again in the future we'll be sure to be more diligent in our question writing.

Below are the questions for the Language portion of this quiz. You have 48 hours to submit your answers as a private message to @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono. If you have submitted answers to previous rounds, please use the same conversation to submit for this round.

Language Questions
  1. What does the "mirai" in Miraidon's name translate to in English?
  2. Which Pokémon world region shares its name with a real world geographical region?
  3. What Japanese word for an animal is contained in Pachirisu's name?
  4. What Spanish word meaning “hey” or “look” does Nemona often greet the player with?
  5. What is the first Pokémon in the Pokédex with a space in its name?
  6. Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are named using the motif of the Spanish words for “one,” “two,” “three.” Which evolutionary line is named using these same numbers in a different language?
  7. Out of the first four generations, which is the only Gym Leader to have the same name in the Japanese and English versions of the games?
  8. In how many non-English languages does Salvatore teach the player to say “thank you” in the English versions of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?
  9. Which character(s) does Ash’s Pikachu refer to when he says “PiPi-kachu?”
  10. Translate the following Unown language into English:
    Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 6.51.47 PM.png

Art Questions
Time is up! Responses for the Language portion of this quiz are now closed. Click the spoiler below to reveal the answers.
  1. Future
  2. Kanto
  3. Risu (Squirrel)
  4. "Oye"
  5. Mr. Mime
  6. Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
  7. Erika
  8. 5 langauges
  9. Team Rocket
  10. "I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST STUDENT LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS"

Points of Clarification
I don't have many for this round, it seemed to go pretty smoothly.
6. Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon contain "ein (a corruption of eins), zwei, drei," German for "one, two, three."
5. Salvatore teaches the player "gracias" (Spanish), "merci" (French), "xièxie" (Chinese), "arigato" (Japanese), and "danke" (German).

Below are the questions for the Art portion of this quiz. You have 48 hours to submit your answers as a private message to @Clavell, @TheCapsFan, and @iono. If you have submitted answers to previous rounds, please use the same conversation to submit for this round.

Art Questions
  1. How many Pokédex color categories are represented by the Eeveelutions collectively?
  2. Which real life composer wrote the music that plays in the Battle Tower in Pokémon Sword and Shield?
  3. In the English dub of the anime, which of Ash’s traveling companions was named after their hobby of drawing Pokémon in the wild?
  4. Which real life artist designed Eevee and all of its Generation 1 evolutions except Vaporeon?
  5. Which town in the Pokémon world could I go to find many statues of Sunflora?
  6. Which trainer class in Pokémon Sun and Moon wears a dress featuring an Exeggutor?
  7. Which Pokémon has designer Ken Sugimori said to be his least favorite due to its complex design?
  8. Which island in the Orange Archipelago is known for its production of quality glass Pokémon sculptures, forged from the island's unique deposits of blue crystal?
  9. Which Gym Leader fashioned their own outfit in an attempt to feel like a Pokemon?
  10. Who is the TCG artist known for hiding PokéBall in their artwork?

Art Answers
Time is up! Responses for the Art portion of this quiz are now closed. Click the spoiler below to reveal the answers.
  1. 7 colors
  2. Toby Fox
  3. Tracey Sketchit
  4. Motofumi Fujiwara
  5. Artazon
  6. Dancer
  7. Venusaur
  8. Sunburst Island
  9. Valerie
  10. Saya Tsuruta
Points of Clarification
Just one this time, but feel free to comment if you have any further questions.
1. Glaceon and Vaporeon share the color blue. The full list is Blue, Yellow, Red, Purple, Black, Green, and Pink

Academy staff are now grading your responses. We will update you with the final results as soon as they are available.

Results
Grading is complete! Below is the list of top students who received the highest scores in each category.

Biology (10/10)
Math (9/10)
History (10/10)
Language (10/10)
Art (10/10)
And our grand winners who both received the highest total score of 98% are @SadisticMystic and @ExLight. Congratulations and well done!

Our academy art department is still hard at work putting the finishing touches on your prizes, so I will make a separate announcement when those are available.

Special thanks to all of the academy faculty (aka the Bulbagarden staff) who submitted questions. Special shoutouts to @TheCapsFan and @lisianthus for helping out with selecting and editing final questions and tallying results.

I also want to acknowledge @Orchid and @Lone_Garurumon for playing along and receiving perfect scores of 100%. Since they had the ability to submit questions I did not include staffers in the list of winners but this is still an impressive feat.

Back
Top Bottom