• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Battle League: Season 3 [CLOSED]

Reaction score
Banner6_zps62335c67.jpg
---------------
Third time's the charm, here we go!

Welcome to the Bulbagarden Battle League! Challenge yourself and battle against our gym leaders and earn badges, so that you can make your way to the Elite 4! This is a good opportunity for you to be introduced to competitive Pokémon battles, as well as hone your skills and put yourself to the test. So whether it's your first time in Hoenn or you've been to every region of the Pokémon world, we welcome you!

Season 3 is ongoing! Sign up now!
Feel free to sign up, this season starts December 28 and ends Sunday March 29. We will also be accepting all participants who sign up throughout the season if you choose to join us later on.

When signing up please provide your 3DS FC with your trainer name, as well as what game (within XY or ORAS) you will be using. We're also available to battle on Pokémon Showdown! so if you have an account there you can use that for battles as well. Have fun and hope to see you soon!
---------------
Format: Single Battle, Normal Rules, 6 versus 6
Clauses:
  • Pokémon above OU are banned (The latest XY tiers can be found here: XY Tiers - Smogon University)
    Note: The ORAS metagame is still settling as it's a recent release, but we'll be keeping up to date on any changes by Smogon and applying them to the league as they happen.
  • Species Clause (Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.)
  • Sleep Clause (Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induced sleep via Rest does not count.)
  • Item Clause (All Pokémon on a team must hold different items.)
  • Evasion Clause (Moves that boost evasion i.e. Double Team and Minimize are not allowed.)
  • OHKO Clause (One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.)
  • Banned items: Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Mawilite, Soul Dew, Salamencite
  • Banned abilities: Moody
  • Banned moves: Swagger
  • Baton Pass Limit: The move Baton Pass cannot be found on more than 1 Pokémon on the same team.

Substitutes:
The BBL aims to cater to all players, no matter your experience in battling. Our goal is to establish a competitive setting for our challengers so we limit substitutes on the challenger's side and allow gym leaders to rotate their lineup at any time, so that challengers may showcase their teambuilding and strategy in their battles.

On the opposite side of this, we also want to foster a nurturing environment for those who are new to competitive battling so we encourage players to consult with gym leaders on advice regarding their teams. Gym leaders are a helpful source of information and experience so feel free to talk to any of them with any suggestions or concerns about your team.

This season challengers are allowed to bring one(1) substitute Pokémon of their choosing that they can swap out any time during their challenge. Added onto this, challengers can ask gym leaders for advice on their teams and are allowed to make replacements based on a gym leader's recommendation, as needed.

Examples of such replacements would be:
- Adding a new Pokémon to the team
- Changing a Pokémon's moveset/item/nature/EV spread
- Replacing your substitute Pokémon

Feel free to approach any gym leader for help but it's suggested to ask someone who's battled your team. Once you choose to make a replacement please notify the gym leader so that we can update your lineup accordingly.

League:
  • A challenger will challenge the league using a team of 6 Pokémon and is allowed one(1) substitution.
  • You are free to change your team as often as you want, given that you have not won any badges.
  • Upon winning your first badge, your lineup cannot be changed. This includes changing natures, Abilities, items, moves, EVs/IVs, etc. on any member of your team. While a substitute is not mandatory, once you have used a substitute Pokémon you may not change any of its attributes.
  • Challengers may fight against the gym leaders in any order.
  • Gym leaders may change their lineup without prior notice.
  • If a challenger loses, they may not request a rematch with that gym leader until 24 hours have passed.

Elite Four:
  • After obtaining at least 8 badges you will be able to challenge the Elite 4.
  • To complete the season you will need to win against all members of the Elite 4 undefeated.
  • Like in the games, use a team of 6 out of your lineup in an attempt to defeat all members of the Elite 4.
  • You may not change your lineup in the middle of your challenge (if you have any current E4 victories).
  • Losses against any member of the Elite 4 will cause your E4 progress to be reset, requiring you to challenge all 4 members again.
  • At the beginning of the challenge or following a reset of your progress, you can change your team within your lineup that was used to get to the Elite 4.

Battles:
  • Any battle between a challenger and gym leader is recognized as an official gym battle.
  • Send notifications to gym leaders before challenging them to a battle. No random battle requests.
  • Any disruption of a battle will award the victory to the gym leader. Any persistent issues with disconnection may be brought up with the BBL.
  • A disconnected match will count as a battle and rematches will follow the same mechanic as above.
  • Be courteous and respectful to your opponent.

*We're all here to have fun and learn more about battling so we trust that you'll abide by the rules. We will be keeping track of challengers' lineups to ensure fair play but gym leaders will not be using this to scout challengers. Any concerns/issues may be brought up with the BBL.
-------------
Gym Leaders:
Bug† [X Dragoon]
3DS FC: 5026-4464-6733
Trainer Name: Cobalt
PS! Username:
Ninetales Prower will be covering the Bug gym's duties from time to time.

Dragon [TheRealJDawgz]
3DS FC: 1590-4826-6540
Trainer Name: JDawgz
PS! Username:

Electric [sharkshocker]
3DS FC: 3394-3742-8499
Trainer Name: Kevin
PS! Username: BBL sharkshocker

Fairy [Ninetales Prower]
3DS FC: 2363-6506-3033
Trainer Name: Alex
PS! Username: BBL BAG

Fighting [MachDragonX]
3DS FC: 0147-0109-5669
Trainer Name: Scott
PS! Username: BBL MachDragonX

Fire [DragonEspeon]
3DS FC: 1134-8042-2719
Trainer Name: RED
PS! Username: BBL DragonEspeon

Flying [Kimono Dragon]
3DS FC: 2595-0003-0803
Trainer Name: Kestron
PS! Username: BBL Kimono Dragon

Ghost [AnybodyAgrees]
3DS FC: 4725-8612-4948
Trainer Name: Samuel
PS! username: Skyward Popsicle

Ground [Zyrenus]
3DS FC: 1547-5965-3689
Trainer Name: Skyler
PS! Username: BBL Zyrenus

Ice [BadAssKoala]
3DS FC: 3668-8127-4779
Trainer Name: Doug
PS! Username:

Normal [MachDragonX]
3DS FC: 0147-0109-5669
Trainer Name: Scott
PS! Username: BBL MachDragonX

Poison [sharkshocker]
3DS FC: 3394-3742-8499
Trainer Name: Kevin
PS! Username: BBL sharkshocker

Rock‡ [Kimono Dragon] and [sharkshocker]
Contact either of the gym leaders to schedule a battle. As the Rock gym's management
is shared equally challengers will be battled based on who's available.

Water [JustTheFx]
3DS FC: 2466-2920-6005
Trainer Name: Jeffhay
PS! Username: BBL Jj

Elite Four:
Dark [-Glory Blaze-]
3DS FC: 3754-8456-7753
Trainer Name: Serena
PS! Username: BBL Glory Blaze

Grass [Alexey]
3DS FC: 4570-8235-1086
Trainer Name: Alexey
PS! Username: BBL Alexey

Psychic [Slife]
3DS FC: 1134-8042-2719
Trainer Name: RED
PS! Username: BBL DragonEspeon

Steel [Lunacy]
3DS FC: 4253-4478-0493
Trainer Name: Mani
PS! Username: BBL Lunacy

Participants: Upon defeating a gym leader a ★ shall be placed next to your trainer name.
ChallengerTrainer Name (XY/ORAS)3DS FCPokemon Showdown! Username
Marcquo21Ice Snow
TerraTFTerraTF
ApawnPalkia0061-0809-4165superbobbobbob3
Iggysauriggysaur
-Polaris-
Phantom16Scott3582-9077-2660Phantom16
Fairy Type ArceusFrank3153-4454-8518pokehokage
FieryFennekinIsabel 2595-2869-0097
Stardust_TrainerThe Champion3582-9334-1839StardustTrainer
Blue CobraNikolaj3454-0728-9992
dooziexxErik4038-6320-2057
MachDragonXScott 0147-0109-5669ZiggX
LifePoisonManiac
Infinity StormInfynity
Emperor PalpitoadFisken Sune
Lord ReshiramJoel2809-9008-4037RPJ
[/td]

Last edited:
Re: Bulbagarden Battle League: Season 3 [SIGNUPS]

In. TerraTF on Showdown and no WiFi whatsoever.

Is this 3DS only or can i just do PS! ?

I dont have a 3DS and would like to join :) @sharkshocker;

IM IN
Friend code:0061-0809-4165 IGN: Palkia (OR Name)
PS Name:superbobbobbob3

I dont actually have a PS! account that i remember, but I'm in!

(Never done competitive battles before. So yah.)

I dont actually have a PS! account that i remember, but I'm in!

(Never done competitive battles before. So yah.)
Not a problem! You can provide your 3DS FC if you prefer to battle over Wifi or check out Pokemon Showdown! so you can learn the ropes. Good luck and hope you enjoy your first step into competitive battling!

I am in. I will either post after christmas my 2DS friendcode

Sign me up, I am ready to have lot's of fun.
Code: 3582-9077-2660
Name: Scott.
Pokemon showdown user: Phantom16

I don't have the new game so I'll be sticking with X/Y.

Question: because they're two rock type gym leader's can I find myself a partner and do a tag-battle.

Question: because they're two rock type gym leader's can I find myself a partner and do a tag-battle.
Ah sorry but the Rock gym will still be done as a Singles battle. Kimono Dragon and I are sharing management of the Rock gym to help lighten the load, as we're already managing gyms of our own apart from Rock.

That's fine to use XY for the league but I would recommend looking into Pokemon Showdown as most gyms make use of the new features brought on by ORAS. I can accommodate battles on both versions (through Pokebank) but a majority of our teams have been updated and would not be compatible with XY.

Ah sorry but the Rock gym will still be done as a Singles battle. Kimono Dragon and I are sharing management of the Rock gym to help lighten the load, as we're already managing gyms of our own apart from Rock.

That's fine to use XY for the league but I would recommend looking into Pokemon Showdown as most gyms make use of the new features brought on by ORAS. I can accommodate battles on both versions (through Pokebank) but a majority of our teams have been updated and would not be compatible with XY.

well the good news is that I am getting the new game on Christmas so it will be easier for other's. And if I have not beaten by then I can still use poke. showdown.

Darn no tag battles, those are really fun to do.

well the good news is that I am getting the new game on Christmas so it will be easier for other's. And if I have not beaten by then I can still use poke. showdown.

Darn no tag battles, those are really fun to do.
Ah you should be fine then. We won't be starting the season until after Christmas so feel free to challenge us at your own pace.

Yeah multi battles are always fun but they would be hard to coordinate since we're scattered everywhere :p

I would like to sign up like my post mentioned above. My trainer names will be as follows:

Y: Isabel
OR: Isabel

I would like to sign up like my post mentioned above. My trainer names will be as follows:

Thanks a lot! I suggest sticking to one game when going through the league to help simplify things, if possible ORAS would be preferred for compatibility purposes. Can you also provide your FC?

Thanks a lot! I suggest sticking to one game when going through the league to help simplify things, if possible ORAS would be preferred for compatibility purposes. Can you also provide your FC?

I will be able to provide my FC on Christmas because thats when i get Pokemon Y and my Crystal Red 2DS

Re: Bulbagarden Battle League: Season 3 [START]

Season 3 is now underway!

Note: Currently Greninja is undergoing suspect testing by Smogon (follow the thread here and feel free to discuss it on our suspect testing thread.) The verdict on whether Greninja stays in OU will be decided on January 4.

If it ends up being banned out of OU then it will be reflected on the rules of the league and challengers and gym leaders who would be using Greninja will have to update their teams accordingly. On previous instances of a Pokemon being banned from OU (like Aegislash) we've allowed challengers to make a free substitution to replace the banned Pokemon from their team and we will do the same in this case.

To challengers: although you might plan to stick with Greninja until a verdict is out, I advise to read into discussions about the topic and feel the winds to see how the suspect testing will turn out. Along those lines it's suggested to plan for a replacement in the event it gets banned and you planned to use Greninja in your teams. There is no rush to complete the league so it's advisable to take some time to plan for either outcome of the suspect testing. Best of luck to our challengers.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom