• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

~Bulbagarden Community Question of the Week~ Final Question - What was your favourite previous question from this thread and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turn everything off except music (literally can't sleep without music playing, and if the music stops for whatever reason during the night I will wake up), and then I dissociate (I have a dissociative disorder but I can also make it happen). Dissociating has been described as "extreme daydreaming" so logically it'd be a pretty good segue into actually dreaming.

I take a tablet of melatonin

Well, in addition to that, I have running storylines that I try to think about when I'm laying down. Some are super self insert-y fluff (look, if I want to fantasize for, like, over a decade that I'm from Glacia in the Skies of Arcadia world and I'm in disguise as an air pirate in Vyse's crew, nobody is going to stop me lol), but others are me brainstorming ideas for stories and fics that I'll never get around to actually writing. Usually, by the time I'm actually moving the story in my mind forward, I'm already drifting into sleep.

Reading helps me too, but I don't do that enough anymore. I should probably change that. Ever since I started exercising for at least an hour a day though months ago, I've been falling asleep much more easily.

Sadly, medication in my case. And even then I end up falling asleep at the 3:00 a.m. mark, which kind of affects the way I post here. If something sounds off in a post I made, it might be because of that.

This is a relevant topic for me seeing as I've had a VERY hard time sleeping this week...sigh

Like other people have mentioned, I take melatonin, which USUALLY is the most effective way to help me sleep (the past few days not withstanding). I also always have to play a game on my 3DS to help me wind down - I know you're supposed to avoid screens before bed, but doing this is almost a guaranteed way to both tire me out and keep my mind from racing (anxiety's so fun, isn't it?) until the melatonin kicks in. And I always need either my AC or white noise machine running - I absolutely cannot sleep in total silence.

An important question indeed.

So I'll do (or would do) a variety of things to try to get to sleep if I cant just doze off.

My main method use to be, well there was this channel called Weatherscan. (If you never heard of it basically it was a channel that just showed the local weather with no words spoken, just generic relaxing music playing) The music on there was so backgroundish? that it always put me to sleep, whether at night or for a nap, after laying down for a few moments. But of course like all good things they took that channel away. Sometimes I'll still put headphones in and listen to that music on YouTube but it doesn't have the same effect.

Beyond that nowadays I'll use the old school method of counting sheep jumping over a fence. I usually dont get 10 in before getting bored and losing count and starting over. Once I lose count a few times I know it's working and I'm asleep shortly.

Besides that sometimes I'll play an app game to distract myself from trying to sleep and usually doze off that way since I can't easily sleep sometimes when thinking about sleep.

No matter what though I need to sleep with a little fan on next to me, and with the tv on usually as I can't sleep without some form of background noise.

Oh and when I'm sick I take Nyquil and it puts me out within a half hour for a solid uninterrupted 6 hours.

Last edited:
My main method use to be, well there was this channel called Weatherscan. (If you never heard of it basically it was a channel that just showed the local weather with no words spoken, just generic relaxing music playing) The music on there was so backgroundish? that it always put me to sleep, whether at night or for a nap, after laying down for a few moments. But of course like all good things they took that channel away. Sometimes I'll still put headphones in and listen to that music on YouTube but it doesn't have the same effect.

I LOVED Weatherscan! My mom put it on for me once back in high school when I was nervous about a test, and ever since it became a huge source of comfort to me. Still so upset they got rid of it - the music it played always helped me relax. I never tried it to help me sleep, though - I'd love to see if it's uploaded to YouTube or something and try it out.

Head downstairs and play Touhou on my laptop, or maybe write some fan fiction/original stories. Both of them help me to stop thinking too much at night about said stories or whatever random stuff keeps racing through my mind.

I usually can't get to sleep unless I have ambient noise, such as a fan going in the background and I have to be listening to music, usually classical off my phone.
Otherwise the other way I manage to get to sleep is staying up until I'm exhausted I'll just nod off easily.
I also have tablets that can help me sleep, which really help if I need to get up early in the morning, Phenergan, they don't knock me out or anything, but they make me drowsy.

(15/05/2019) - What sports are your favourite to play or watch?
nj0.png

Question of the Week:
What sports are your favourite to play or watch?
nj0.png

I love watching football. I can sit there 10 hours on a Sunday watching football and I'll be as happy as I can be. It honestly is something that makes me feel truly happy. Even when the team I like isn't doing well you know once I get the cursing out of my system that is

As far as teams go I'm a big Carolina Panthers fan. Been ever since I was young and their colors and panther symbol lured me in. Beyond that I have no problem with the Giants since I grew up in a house with mostly Giants fans due to living in NJ. Knowing football season is coming is a main thing that gets me through work in the summer.

I'll watch baseball casually but that's about it since I never entirely got into it.

As far as playing sports? Uhhh I learned young I did not have the talent and I'm better off just watching them lol. unless you count videogames in which case I get madden once every few years and do a career as a quarterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom