• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

How far did you get into your piano studies? Currently right now, I'm going through the Circle of 5th for minor scales where I have to play all the minor scales four octaves in both parallel and contrary motions. I'm also studying Bach's Chorale to help me learn voicing.

I already did those four octave exercises for all the major keys. And I have a feeling that I'll be doing arpeggio drills soon once again.

How far did you get into your piano studies? Currently right now, I'm going through the Circle of 5th for minor scales where I have to play all the minor scales four octaves in both parallel and contrary motions. I'm also studying Bach's Chorale to help me learn voicing.

I already did those four octave exercises for all the major keys. And I have a feeling that I'll be doing arpeggio drills soon once again.
About 6 years. I have played lots of scales and arpeggio exercises and some Bach pieces, even some of the easier Mozart and Chopin ones. My voice is not really good enough for this, though, and I quit in high school to focus on the major exams at the time, so I never got to the class that would introduce me to playing some Bethoven.

uhhhhh what music genres do you like
My dad always insisted on listening basically only to country as a kid so that's also become my music taste: in particular I've found that I'm especially fond of older country, think like 60s-90s for the most part, though there are also modern artists I like. Recently I've also been introduced to folk punk, which is pretty enjoyable for me, and I also listen to a bit of rock when it's on the softer side.

I am absolutely not used to that kind of music, and in fact I am not a big fan of the Greek folklore genres like rebetiko either, it feels a bit... annoying to the ears, unfortunately.

Another unpopular opinion, not a huge fan of jazz. It sounds a bit... melodically boring.

My music taste is all over the place, from your classic alt rock to sea shanties LOL. It ultimately depends on my mood or if I’m drawing. I like whatever I’m listening to to fit the vibe of the piece I’m working on. If I’m gaming or need to focus I listen to vocal-less EDM, trance, hardstyle stuff— sometimes even jazz. If I’m chilling out for the night I often gravitate to low synthy stuff, piano or anything minecraft OST adjacent.

Do you guys have a song that makes you feel uplifted and overall a bit happier? For me it’s Look At The Sky by Porter Robinson. It resonates with me I think, and the song overall has a very summery, blue sky feel.

Call me crazy but All Star by Smash Mouth never fails to make me happier whenever I listen to it. Probably a combination of nostalgia and the general upbeat feel of the song.

There's a lot of songs from Kirby that always cheer me up when I listen to them, stuff like Pop Star from Kirby 64, Sky-High and Smitten from Kirby: Planet Robobot, and Sky Tower from Kirby's Return to Dream Land. It's weird but sometimes really intense aggressive-sounding songs can also lift my spirits, a lot of Mega Man X music is like that for me.

Do you guys have a song that makes you feel uplifted and overall a bit happier?
I could literally say all the songs on the first three Beatles albums would put me into a better mood. I wouldn’t say any of them are revolutionary, (later Beatles albums are from a certain point of view) but I still enjoy them. And it’s not to say that later Beatles albums don’t have happy songs, there are just more slower songs that aren’t as happy but at the same time, still good music.

I just had a very random, almost silly, thought... My gut reaction when I read a post I can kinda relate to and feel like comforting the one who made it is to tap "Hugs".

Except many of those recently are complaints about summer heat, and a hug is like the last thing one needs in the heat, so I double take and switch it to "Love" instead :)

Music!? yesss...

As for me... well, I guess I kind of have a varied taste in music too? Here goes:

Progressive metal, mathcore, metalcore, easycore, pop punk, skate punk, ska punk, hardcore punk, emo, emocore, twinkle emo/midwest emo, skramz, twinklecore, math rock, prog rock, jazz rock, japanese fusion jazz, citypop, 90s/2000s k-pop, j-pop, j-pixie, idol music, girlbands, drum and bass, trance, and vocaloid.

And my favorite artists from those genres:

Dance Gavin Dance, Fall of Troy, Takamachi Walk, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, AIRFLIP, ELLEGARDEN, POTSHOT, Pay money To my Pain, Origami Angel, that same street, Medoed., the cabs, Guitar Fight from Fooly Cooly, JYOCHO, Chinese Football, susquatch, Masayoshi Takanaka, Wink, Two Two/BoA, the peggies, The Winking Owl, Ganbare! Victory, 'Lucie,Too', Soichi Terada, KatakunaP, and livetune.

...I have probably listened to all of these in a day at some point LOL. My current favorite band is probably The Winking Owl!
Do you guys have a song that makes you feel uplifted and overall a bit happier?
I do!! For me, it's actually a whole album. (non?coincidentally, I have sent you this album 5000 times LOL) 'Somewhere City' by Origami Angel is, bar none, my favorite piece of music ever created, and it's genuinely a masterpiece to me. Over the years, it's... taken on a few different meanings to me, essentially, but it's just about always lifted my spirits, especially when things were not as good.

JYOCHO's 美しい終末サイクル is the same way for me.

For me it’s Look At The Sky by Porter Robinson. It resonates with me I think, and the song overall has a very summery, blue sky feel.
This one actually makes me think of spending time with you!! It's legitimately a very good song in its own (Porter Robinson is so good omg)... I also really love Plane Theory by niki — aside from the above reason, it makes me think of spring... and a few songs from Hellogoodbye, as well. AND ANYTHING BY TAKAMACHI WALK!!! I know that sounds kind of odd given the fact that they are a relatively heavy band in terms of them being metalcore, BUT! it brings back good memories! (we still need to listen to the new album of theirs!!)

I could talk about this at length, so here are two reccomendations instead!

This is a new artist/genre I found... lately I've been into 90s and 2000s k-pop (new k-pop is not for me), and BoA is probably my favorite solo artist from the genre as a whole.

Atlantis Princess by BoA!

Hysteric Blue's Grow Up has like... idk, been something of a comfort song to me throughout this year. I love their style as well, and this live performance is a joy to watch. (Their lead singer Tama's outfit is SUPER neat also omg, I'm totally wearing something like that sometime..)

Last edited:
for genres i like, i like inhales
art pop, indie pop, indie rock, hyperpop, dariacore, breakcore, future bass, j-pop, j-rock, vocaloid, city pop, math rock, weirdcore, alt rock, alt pop, synthpop, electropop, synthwave, new wave, vaporwave, bubblegum pop, edm, complextro, experimental pop, avant garde pop and pop-metal... I'm probably forgetting some.

artists i like a lot include lady gaga, marina, a bunch of vocaloid producers, paramore, grimes, charli xcx, poppy, rina sawayama, porter robinson, madeon, pogo, tv girl, penelope scott, jack stauber, yorushika, magdalena bay, lemon demon, kyary pamyu pamyu, kate bush, mgmt, I don't know how but they found me, eve, kero kero bonito, mother mother and lorde.
Forgot me it’s Look At The Sky by Porter Robinson.
i love love love love that song, that album and that artist-

for a song that makes me feel happy whenever i listen to, there's a lot but recently it's been be sweet by japanese breakfast and m'lover by kishi bashi.

So many genres I have not heard of before, seems like I have to do some Googling around...

When younger I used to prefer Nightcore remixes of songs, these days I prefer the lower pitches of Daycore, but sped up to like 1.25x or 1.5x

Another unpopular opinion, not a huge fan of jazz. It sounds a bit... melodically boring.
I find Jazz way too chaotic for me to listen to for long periods of time. I don't mind sudden changes in terms of song but Jazz tends to really overdo it for me.

There is a difference between the music I enjoy for the melody and harmony, the sequence of frequencies, the sound itself, and the music I get emotional towards because of the lyrics, a story or memory associated with it etc. Ideally any song that hits both is even better

I was kinda into rock when I was younger(teens and early 20s),nowadays its just pop and maybe a tiny bit of EDM. Id like to get more into EDM but Im kinda lost to what to look into unless Grimes counts and a lot of her stuff is real good,but she has def gone more into the pop side of things in recent work but still has quite a few dancy tracks. Welcome to the Opera is one like that,a sorta club type track,though th.ats not her song alone. Idk I vibe to that sorta stuff nowadays while enjoying pop like Taylor Swift. When I get into an artist,I tend to get super into them and cant listen to anything else.

I have tried getting more to EDM but it is not a genre I find myself usually reminded about randomly within the day. Pop and rock etc just feel more "catchy" and I end up going through them more in Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom