• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

Bad example, I totally forgot that they finally gave Girafarig an evolution. Playing Scarlet made me feel very old and I thought all the Gen VIII Pokemon were new ones introduced in Gen IX.

I am so not used to Gen 8-9 species compared to 1-7, and most not being yet available in GO is not helping. Although Greedent, Dubwool, Falinks and Zacian/Zamazenta are some I regularly see.

There are some super cool ideas like Palafin who is what I would hope Wishiwashi would be but this time it worked out better.

Yeah we should not generalise over age groups. But it is a noteworthy statistical pattern.

toast, you probably are an old soul. I also loved the collection aspect, and this is why I like GO so much after all, it is like the one game in the post-Dexit era with the most actual amount of species available to register (although they are not all activity appearing all the time, you need trades or patience, but I do not mind either, this is the same game over 7 years now). Also the easiest one to get huge amounts of shinies, probably.

I do miss those mythical pokemon events like the whole sequence with Darkrai and the nightmares.
I do genuinely miss the mystical feeling of each of the mystery gift events, I'm sad they don't do it anymore, but I think Gamefreak is too busy playing catch-up with understanding Switch software to focus on making these sorts of things-- but that's another conversation all together.

I also loved the collection aspect
Agreed! I am much more a collector than a battler now, I was suuuuper into Battle Facility stuff as a kid, from every battle facility in each game and even the Wii game Battle Revolution! I loved that game soo much. I was hardcore into competitive team building, but I've definitely chilled out in my 'old age'. Now I just like collecting and trading mons, and making a living dex every region.

Blanc talking about the "old age" of 24, when I am 26 and should feel like retired and tired :)

But there are (a bit less than) two whole generations yet to release in GO, I cannot just give up. Until my super old age fails me, at least :D

I am still reluctant to spend $60 on SWSH. Patiently waiting for a sale which could be in about three years. One thing that has never changed is Pokemon games stubbornly holding their value. I would trust a currency backed by used Pokemon games more than anything else. Thinking back, the biggest reason I decided to skip Gen VIII was the seemingly arbitrary cap on Pokemon available. Now I understand it really isn't feasible to have over 1000 Pokemon in one game. A canon, in game explanation would be cool even though mystery is the spice of life.

As an aside I typed bmgf.bulbagarden.net and saw a bunch of links to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. My age is showing in more ways than one.

i'm in the minority of the minority that likes pretty much every gen roughly equally aside from gen 5 a bit, which was my least favourite.
Now we must duel because Gen V is my favourite, although I have been reassessing that notion because I love Fairy Types and Megas too much. I hope Megas return someday.

i'm sorry, but as someone who was high off the excitement off battle frontier in gen 4, battle subway disappointed me a lot, which disappointed me even more when game freak came out with pokemon world tournament in b2w2 which blew battle subway out of the water, proving they could've done better the whole time. :c

i think gen 5 was also the turning point of when spinoff games became way less frequent iirc (or just ones i wasn't really all that interested in), so i didn't have the opportunity to develop many memories beyond just the version games at the time, and because bw didn't leave that good of an impression to me initially i was just... meh on it until b2w2.

Those are fair critiques. I think I was took taken with moving sprites to really notice the faults. Plus comparing the differences in Unova between the two years gave a certain satisfaction. Hard to believe it was barely a decade ago.

i will give credit where it is due though and say unova has some banger 'mons. volcarona is still one of my favourite bug (and fire) types to this day. such an excellent design!!
We're in the same boat. Volcarona has been a mainstay of all my teams in every game where it is available. It's a shame that both Slither Wing and Iron Moth don't hold a candle to the original. I even named the Volcarona on my Scarlet team after my (late) cat. Other fire types always have some shortcoming to them.

As an aside I typed bmgf.bulbagarden.net and saw a bunch of links to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. My age is showing in more ways than one.
I have so totally done this before tbh :(
Old links also do not work, but I think the move from vBulletin to XenForo and the domain change is for the better. The site looks so much more modern now. Even if we might have lost old Blogs.

Gen 5 had one of my favorite games, BW2. Gen 6 had the coolest mechanics but games started being more barebones. Then Gen 7 had like the most # of Pokemon and mechanics for its time, for me those 3 gens were the peak.

Gen 5 had lots of awesome mons, Volcarona Hydreigon are certainly up there. But Chandelure Darmanitan Zoroark are so cool as well.

I don't mean to interject but the Random Messages thread is long gone, as is every person I remember from here...and the email address to my old account. Six years really does not seem song until you come back to an old forum. I recently started playing Pokemon again at my ripe old age of 27 after a boycott of about 5 years. Very pointless! I hope everyone here is having fun with SCVI.
Oh hey! I remember you from years ago,welcome back! I was Shiny Celebi but Ive rebranded fairly recently as Ive dropped the Pokemon theme for my online identity for different interests.

I havent bought them myself and have kinda refused given what I hear about them being glitchy messes,it just seems inexcuable to release a game in that state at this point in time. Idk if I will end up getting them.

You are right a lot of the old crowd has moved on,I recently came back myself after a long time away and a hiatus I didnt really intend,I just got distracted with other stuff myself.

i will give credit where it is due though and say unova has some banger 'mons. volcarona is still one of my favourite bug (and fire) types to this day. such an excellent design!!
unova and galar are tied for having some of my favorite pokemon, they rlly went off.

also i just wish there were more spinoff games, they were always so fun and have more interesting stories than most pokemon games

Unpopular opinion maybe, but in between GO and Sleep plus just being around here, and well work and other social life, I think there is just enough Pokemon in my schedule. Playing through SwSh, BDSP, PLA and SV the same way I could fit Sun, is just not going to cut it, in terms of time.

And this is not necessarily about being a cheepskate, I have given Niantic and by extension TPCi a lot of money through GO. Only Nintendo is losing hard cash from me because I have no interest in Switch, but when so much can be done from phone I just see no appeal to it. Glitches are not my problem though, GO has enough of those anyway but I insist on not quitting it against all odds and most local peers.

Oh hey! I remember you from years ago,welcome back! I was Shiny Celebi but Ive rebranded fairly recently as Ive dropped the Pokemon theme for my online identity for different interests.

I havent bought them myself and have kinda refused given what I hear about them being glitchy messes,it just seems inexcuable to release a game in that state at this point in time. Idk if I will end up getting them.

You are right a lot of the old crowd has moved on,I recently came back myself after a long time away and a hiatus I didnt really intend,I just got distracted with other stuff myself.
Great to see you again! I would say go for the plunge. SCVI, despite their glitches and flaws have a compelling story and lore, plus its cool seeing Pokemon run around the overworld.

In other news (news that I don't know where to post), I transferred around 40 mythical and legendary Pokemon from Bank to Home and suddenly found that my entire Pokedex up until gen VIII was completed in Home, including Pokemon like Zeraora that I never even caught. I am perplexed but also relieved. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Great to see you again! I would say go for the plunge. SCVI, despite their glitches and flaws have a compelling story and lore, plus its cool seeing Pokemon run around the overworld.

In other news (news that I don't know where to post), I transferred around 40 mythical and legendary Pokemon from Bank to Home and suddenly found that my entire Pokedex up until gen VIII was completed in Home, including Pokemon like Zeraora that I never even caught. I am perplexed but also relieved. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
I may still try it when I can but Im just conflicted on giving Game Freak money when they do this kinda stuff.but I think I will when I get some money.

Back
Top Bottom