• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

I mean in all honestly you should upgrade to Windows 11 just because support for Windows 10 is ending next year lol.

It's literally just Windows 10 but with some slight improvements (and downgrades, why the fuck do I have to click 'show more options' when I right-click stuff to see all the options, why can't you move the damn taskbar, ugh).

Like literally that's just what Windows 11 is for the most part: a slight reskin of Windows 10 that really makes you wonder why the Hell was this marketed as a new Windows version at all.

(Also if you have an Intel CPU that's 12th gen or later with performance and efficiency cores, Windows 11 just works better with them than Windows 10 does lol)

gotcha, and yeah the support ending is what i meant by being forced to. i’m glad to hear it’s not as bad as i thought at least

Yeah Windows 11 is very much not a Vista situation or an ME one either, it's just a victim to the now-standard 'every other version of Windows is considered bad/disliked' thing. But it's also the least bad out of all of the 'bad' versions of Windows, y'know?

People loved 98, hated ME, loved XP, hated Vista, loved 7, hated 8, OK maybe saying 'love' is too much but 'think it's better than the previous one' 10, and dislike 11.

I guess there is Windows 8.1 in there between 8 and 10 but most people just skip over that one or just consider 8 and 8.1 to be the same thing pretty much.

yeah, more of my trepidation about 11 is more in the direction of not liking ultra-sleek minimalist modern design and like. restriction of customization and access, along with mandatory implementation of dumb shit. i will admit i don’t know the specifics of these when it comes to win 11 and should probably do some research. i know it isn’t terribly egregious, but i just remember hearing some things.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the Vista haters as a kid, and kind of remember hating it being trendy for the people I surrounded myself with lol. But nowadays I look back on my memories with it fondly. I played a lot of PC games, especially MMOs, at the time and knowing almost all of them are closed now with no idea what all those friends I made are doing now.. cries.

I mean Vista objectively did suck ass though, for a bunch of reasons.

UAC-prompt-Users-of-Windows-Vista-or-7-saw-this-prompt-in-the-experimental-condition.png

Loved seeing this fucking pop-up pretty much every fucking goddamn time I was trying to run something on my old Vista laptop.

Like maybe among your friend group they were just hating it because it was trendy, but it really was awful. I remember when Microsoft ran ads showing off their 'new version' of Windows called Windows Mojave to people who had never used Vista but heard it was bad and they'd have someone from Microsoft helping them as they tested Mojave. Only at the end to reveal that Windows Mojave was actually Windows Vista and it wasn't really as bad as everyone said it was.

And honestly looking back on those ads as an adult, they read like 'Yeah Vista is actually pretty good when you have someone from Microsoft there to literally guide you through the damn OS'.

What does it mean when someone says "they were at the wrong place at the wrong time"? I think I get it, I'm just not sure.
Here is a scenario for context/example:
Kelly is abducted by bandits because she is the village chief
Amy is abducted because she was at the wrong place at the wrong time

What does it mean when someone says "they were at the wrong place at the wrong time"? I think I get it, I'm just not sure.
I’m pretty sure it means that it didn’t happen because (let’s use your example) Amy is Amy, it happened because she was in the specific place at the specific time (which people refer to as the wrong place and wrong time because the people who abducted her were there)

Sorry if this is wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s what I understand

I’m pretty sure it means that it didn’t happen because (let’s use your example) Amy is Amy, it happened because she was in the specific place at the specific time (which people refer to as the wrong place and wrong time because the people who abducted her were there)

Sorry if this is wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s what I understand
Don't worry. I was simply asking for clarification. I figured that's what it meant (that Amy was also taken, not because she was related to Kelly, but because she just happened to be there when the bandits attacked).

I'll get confused when I see some kid who's into something older than they are like 'How do you even know what this is?' as if I'm not the queer autistic dipshit born in 1996 who's super into 80s tech and fashion.

"wrong place at the wrong time" is a figure of speech for unfortunate coincidences, like if a car drives by and you get splashed then you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyone else think all fandom wikis would be improved if they just took from the utterly chaotic energy of the Transformers Wiki?

Other fandom wikis: We must treat this subject with utmost importance. We must be like a serious encyclopedia for this franchise.

Transformers Wiki: lol. we'll give you actual info and shit about everything from the most mainstream aspects of transformers to the most niche of niche things (like a transformer that was a completely original mold that was only released in argentina in 1987 that transforms into a working AM radio that, for some reason, includes a sword accessory that's basically exactly the same as the sword included with japanese releases of megatron just with a different handle) but also this is a wiki about changey robot toys. it ain't that serious and jokes and other bits of humor are OK as long as they don't get in the way of providing accurate information (or if it's blatantly obvious that it's a joke, like no one is gonna think the article for a mcdonald's happy meal transformer from 1996 called 'panther' claiming that he transforms into a heavily-armed humvee with electronic lights and sounds, plus a spring-loaded missile is anything but a joke. even if the very next line wasn't 'no, just kidding, he transforms into a panther with no othre gimmicks')

Anyone else think all fandom wikis would be improved if they just took from the utterly chaotic energy of the Transformers Wiki?

Other fandom wikis: We must treat this subject with utmost importance. We must be like a serious encyclopedia for this franchise.

Transformers Wiki: lol. we'll give you actual info and shit about everything from the most mainstream aspects of transformers to the most niche of niche things (like a transformer that was a completely original mold that was only released in argentina in 1987 that transforms into a working AM radio that, for some reason, includes a sword accessory that's basically exactly the same as the sword included with japanese releases of megatron just with a different handle) but also this is a wiki about changey robot toys. it ain't that serious and jokes and other bits of humor are OK as long as they don't get in the way of providing accurate information (or if it's blatantly obvious that it's a joke, like no one is gonna think the article for a mcdonald's happy meal transformer from 1996 called 'panther' claiming that he transforms into a heavily-armed humvee with electronic lights and sounds, plus a spring-loaded missile is anything but a joke. even if the very next line wasn't 'no, just kidding, he transforms into a panther with no othre gimmicks')
Would love it if some of the wikis I use were like this. Can you imagine if wiki’s for series like Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure or Beyblade wouldn’t take themselves so seriously? It’d be awesome!

also the only transformers media i’ve seen is the War for Cybertron Trilogy on Netflix and vague memories of watching Bumblebee so do with that what you will

Hey, did anyone happen to be in the path of the total solar eclipse that occured in the Americas yesterday? I wasn't, which meant that the extent of an eclipse that I experienced was a weird-looking sun and a slightly dimmer-than-usual sky; I didn't bother to really look up at the sun if I couldn't get the whole thing. But that's what TV is for, right? Seeing people's reactions was more entertaining than the actual eclipse for me, to be honest!

genuine question: is it wrong of me to have a policy of never donating to anyone who is asking for monetary assistance online, whether or not they're a stranger or someone you allegedly know?

for clarification: i'm not talking about something like supporting someone on patreon or donating to their ko-fi if they produce content you enjoying, but when someone posts their cashapp or whatever and say they need $600 to help pay their rent or for groceries or whatever

it might seem callous of me, i know, but it's just too damn easy to lie about this kind of stuff (which unfortunately ruins it for everyone who genuinely does need help)

plus, i'm active on another forum where someone actually did that: a user got banned after the mods learned he had obtained around $9000 from users under false pretenses.

and then a few weeks after he got banned, said user stopped repaying the users who he owed money too, began to make major financial decisions, and then the mods got information that he'd actually obtained around $75,000, which actually left some users unable to financially support themselves (with evidence that some of this money was obtained through embezzling)

the risk is just too damn high imo.

plus tbh i'm not really in any financial position to even donate to something i can 100% trust. i'll donate cans of food at the library tho lol

Hey, did anyone happen to be in the path of the total solar eclipse that occured in the Americas yesterday? I wasn't, which meant that the extent of an eclipse that I experienced was a weird-looking sun and a slightly dimmer-than-usual sky; I didn't bother to really look up at the sun if I couldn't get the whole thing. But that's what TV is for, right? Seeing people's reactions was more entertaining than the actual eclipse for me, to be honest!
I wasn't in the direct path, but I was very close! (You could still see a tiny sliver of the sun peeking out, easily appearing thinner than a crescent moon.) Pretty uncanny experience, having the outdoors be so dim in the middle of the day. Sunny yet not..

genuine question: is it wrong of me to have a policy of never donating to anyone who is asking for monetary assistance online, whether or not they're a stranger or someone you allegedly know?

for clarification: i'm not talking about something like supporting someone on patreon or donating to their ko-fi if they produce content you enjoying, but when someone posts their cashapp or whatever and say they need $600 to help pay their rent or for groceries or whatever

it might seem callous of me, i know, but it's just too damn easy to lie about this kind of stuff (which unfortunately ruins it for everyone who genuinely does need help)

plus, i'm active on another forum where someone actually did that: a user got banned after the mods learned he had obtained around $9000 from users under false pretenses.

and then a few weeks after he got banned, said user stopped repaying the users who he owed money too, began to make major financial decisions, and then the mods got information that he'd actually obtained around $75,000, which actually left some users unable to financially support themselves (with evidence that some of this money was obtained through embezzling)

the risk is just too damn high imo.

plus tbh i'm not really in any financial position to even donate to something i can 100% trust. i'll donate cans of food at the library tho lol
No, I don't think it's wrong, especially for those struggling financially. It's entirely true that people use these kinds of services to scam others out of money, and if anything I'd argue it's a good thing that you're exercising caution by not donating to everyone you see online who claims to need money, because, yes, while some are indeed telling the truth, there are most certainly frauds as well, and they can be very difficult (sometimes just impossible) to distinguish from real cases before it's too late.

TL;DR: you're perfectly fine!

Sometimes I remember the Nutty Putty Cave and what happened in that cave and god I just cannot even begin to comprehend that.

TW: DEATH, CLAUSTROPHOBIA
In November 2009, John Jones ended up stuck in a narrow crevice in the Nutty Putty Cave that he had mistaken for a passageway known as 'The Birth Canal', which was a tight but navigable passageway with a turnaround at the end.

The crevice Jones ended up stuck head-first in measured only 10 by 18 inches. Rescue efforts were hampered by the position Jones found himself in and the narrow crevice itself, as Jones feet would hit the low ceiling when they tried to pull him out and the space itself was too narrow for them to pull him backwards without breaking his legs, the shock of which could have proven fatal for Jones as he was suffering from the effects of being upside down for so long.

In the end, Jones ultimately passed away after being trapped in the cave for 27-28 hours.

Following his death, it was decided that it would be too dangerous to try and extract his body from the cave. With Jones being dead, he couldn't push himself up to try and assist the rescue workers, he couldn't twist his body through the corkscrew leading out of the tunnel he was trapped in. They couldn't put the rescuers in any more danger (one rescuer had already suffered an injury when a stone arch had shattered under the pressure of Jones' body and the rescue crew's pulling, sending a heavy metal carabiner straight at his face)

Explosives were used to seal the entrance to the tunnel in the cave where John Jones was trapped and passed away and the entrance to the cave itself was sealed with concrete.

His body, or what decayed remains remain of it, is still in there to this day, the cave itself his grave.

Back
Top Bottom