• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

Hollywood got The Hobbit wrong, in my personal opinion.
Yeah, The Hobbit could have been a lot better. If they had just made it a movie adaptation of the book instead of trying to make it the LoTR prequels, it probably would have been much better. The effects were also so over the top, the Legolas jumping on the rocks of the fallen bridge thing was just ridiculous.

Yeah, The Hobbit could have been a lot better. If they had just made it a movie adaptation of the book instead of trying to make it the LoTR prequels, it probably would have been much better. The effects were also so over the top, the Legolas jumping on the rocks of the fallen bridge thing was just ridiculous.

And I hate how they tried to make Orlando Bloom look so much younger! It didn't work for me. Plus...who even likes elf grills, anyway?

My main flaw was that the original trilogy was so raw...but they simply used too much technology. One of the coolest things about the original trilogy for me was the fact that you can actually visit so many of the movie locations on-site...but it was all computer-generated in the Hobbit trilogy. *shrug*

To be fair, a straight adaptation of the novel would have - in addition to being frankly quite boring - had more casual viewers and moviegoers who aren't very well-versed in Tolkien's work (i.e. the people the studio makes the Big Bucks off of) complaining that it wasn't more of a prequel to LOTR.

You gotta pick and choose your battles, and frankly it's astonishing to me that The Hobbit got a film adaptation that did as well as it did, since IMO it's easily Tolkien's driest work.

To be fair, a straight adaptation of the novel would have - in addition to being frankly quite boring - had more casual viewers and moviegoers who aren't very well-versed in Tolkien's work (i.e. the people the studio makes the Big Bucks off of) complaining that it wasn't more of a prequel to LOTR.

You gotta pick and choose your battles, and frankly it's astonishing to me that The Hobbit got a film adaptation that did as well as it did, since IMO it's easily Tolkien's driest work.
So did you actually like the films, or are you playing devil's advocate?

tumblr_mv6sqlF4yM1r3yxp8o1_500.jpg

I go away for months, and y'all go and get a new website and start posting Simpsons. I wouldn't have expected anything different.

So did you actually like the films, or are you playing devil's advocate?
I liked the films just fine. I didn't think they were amazing, but I'm not the biggest fan of Tolkien's universe in the first place. Good, solid fantasy that made the most of a fairly dull source material.

Barely listen.

Anyway this is not RM, so we expect depth. At least more than the other thread. Otherwise I would eating salt from the shaker instead of actually using it to season food.

Back
Top Bottom