• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Fanfiction Awards - General Discussion

I said this when the "you must vote for all of the category" rule was implemented: it's almost counter-productive to require readers/voters to vote for categories/genres that they are not interested in. This rule led to the 'popularity vote' problem that we have now because unfortunately readers are more likely to just vote for the fics they've heard are good in a category they don't like instead of doing the required reading.

Obviously, our goal is to get more exposure to more of the fics on here, and finding the best route to that goal is a work in progress. But yeah like I said back then, forcing people to read fics that they have no interest in just to be able to vote is not the way to go.

I honestly think the only way to handle this if we keep the voters system and don't go to a judging panel would be to offer a "Best Reviewer" Award as part of the Awards. This would encourage people to not only read a high number of fics, but to leave meaningful responses in each fic's threads. This would be good for everyone. I don't remember who to credit with this idea, but yea. If reviewers as well as authors have the incentive to do their due diligence, I think the quality of voting AND year-round reviewing will go up. If reviewers know they could win an award (although it's a bit sad that it takes an award to motivate them), they will be more likely to read more fics and offer constructive thoughts, which again, would be beneficial to everyone (and not just in terms of the awards either).

I honestly think this very small remedy would help in a far bigger way than banning previous winners from competition. Because I admit that my fic has several readers that I know ONLY read my fic (or only a few fics on this site). I'm sure this is true for a lot of fics on this forum. The thing we are missing here is that this is not necessarily a bad thing... it's simply an inevitibility.

I mean, obviously we want exposure for everyone, but it kind of makes sense: My fic is an anime-based story... there are some people in this whole big community that are mostly interested in the anime and aren't necessarily interested in the slightest about reading a fic about game-only characters or anything else really. Conversely, there's people who hate the anime and aren't the least bit interested in reading a fic based on it. My point is that, by removing fics from the running, you can't expect those voters to offer meaningful responses to fics that they don't care about. They are far more likely to not vote at all. Now, perhaps if they were only voting for a certain fic because it's the only one they were interested in reading in the first place, you could argue that you wouldn't want those people voting anyway... but I'm just saying that this is the issue we face when we have open voting in a competition like this.

This is why I think offering the "reviewer award" would be the best remedy. It's the only real way to encourage people to actually read and comment on more fics, which will prepare them the way we want before the voting. It's the only way to do that without losing a great deal of the voters altogether. Now, I know we want quality over quantity like Zekurom said, but I think if we included the "best reviewer category," it would be a fair compromise to everyone who has voiced differing opinions on this manner.

Last edited:
Due to the inordinate amount of flaming and overly-harsh debating, we, the Writer's Workshop moderators, have decided to close this thread, until such time as we feel this subject can be discussed civilly.

Thank you for your understanding.

At this juncture, I would like to announce that the Workshop mods will soon take a formal vote as to how the next set of awards will be styled. We will announce the finalized plan in this thread, so stay tuned.

I think there should be some sort of contingency plan for when a winner of an award is banned. It is too late to implement this now but for another time.

Like perhaps, the person with the next highest number of votes gets the award? And if the person is permanently banned, their fic is disqualified from the competitions. If they are suspended, I guess we can treat them like they are still on the forum.

Barred (not banned) fics wouldn't be entered in the first place, so it's a non-issue.

What do you mean by barred fics? Do you mnean fics that have already won an award?

I am talking about fics written by someone who was banned/suspended.

And I am also talking about what to do if someone does win and later gets banned/suspended. Do we rescind their award or do we pass it to a runner up?

The award will be rescinded and handed to the runner-up if the winner is permabanned before the awards are handed out.

I guess bannings after the awards are handed out have no bearing on whether they get to keep the awards.

For the Christmas contest, could the story be simply Winter based? Is it allowed to be two or three chapters, or can it only be one-shot?

For the Christmas contest, could the story be simply Winter based? Is it allowed to be two or three chapters, or can it only be one-shot?
I don't see why not. But, personally, I'd exploit the fact that Christmas is a romantic holiday in Japan to the fullest.

And we have yet to define the rules for the contest this time around. We'll keep you all informed!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom