• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rules Bulbagarden Forum Rules (Updated: August 22nd, 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bulbagarden Forum Rules (Updated: March 13th, 2012)

That would fall in the same category.

I would like to fully apologize for not reading the rules before I made this sockpuppet. I would like to close it. How would I do so? And do you need my main account username to give me the infraction?

I've notice that the rules mention flaming and baiting, but do not address specifically, trolling. That is, posting in such a way as to purposely annoy and get a reaction from another user, whether they know they are being trolled or not. Would you consider amending the rules to include this?

I've notice that the rules mention flaming and baiting, but do not address specifically, trolling. That is, posting in such a way as to purposely annoy and get a reaction from another user, whether they know they are being trolled or not. Would you consider amending the rules to include this?

"Posting in such a way as to purposely annoy and get a reaction from a user" is a pretty good definition of baiting. So we've got trolling covered already.

The first line only covers a user themselves, not necessarily an attack on their opinions. Its one thing to disagree and another to disregard them completely and try and shove your own opinion in their face.

The 3rd line states;
"Continuing to post inflammatory opinions in an excessive amount of threads or where they don't belong after being asked to stop." Why does it mention only excessive amounts, and only after being asked to stop? IMO I guess I'm just being observant, but it feels like this section could be defined a little better.

Why does it mention only excessive amounts, and only after being asked to stop? IMO I guess I'm just being observant, but it feels like this section could be defined a little better.

Because we cannot be modding solely based on the perception of the user who feel wronged or attacked. For outright attacks or mocking, we have the flaming rule, but if someone states a strong opinion that contradicts other users, an opinion that is on-topic and doesn't contain no direct attacks on other members, then there's no reason to assume that the user is posting to anger anyone. We generally ask our users to give other users the benefit of the doubt unless they see clearly rulebreaking behaviour. If the strong opinion is however not on-topic and spread across multiple threads, and continues to do so after being asked to stop, then we can determine that someone is trying to elicit a negative response from users. Which is exactly what is said in the rule whose already pretty clear as is.

If you or anyone feel offended by a post or that a user is trolling, report it or bring it to the attention of a staff member and we will look into the situation and determine whether or not there is cause to intervene.

I would like to fully apologize for not reading the rules before I made this sockpuppet. I would like to close it. How would I do so? And do you need my main account username to give me the infraction?

Thank you for your honesty. What we do is ban sock accounts, and then decide on further action from there. Because you were honest about this, there is no need for further action. The same goes for anyone else. If you have created a sock account in the past, and have now realized that it is against the rules, you can get in contact with a staff member and we will be happy to assist you.

We have banned the sock account, but you may use your main account for your activities on the forums. :)

On the Bulbagarden forums, we value honesty from our users, and when a user makes an honest mistake, we will be as helpful as possible.

Some updates were made to the rules today. I've highlighted the new stuff in bold.

Final draft. I'll make the updates live tomorrow unless someone spots an error.

2. Multiple Posting (2 points, 1 month)

• Each post should be unique; please do not post twice in a row if you do not have new information to post.
“New Information to post” is regarded as either an article, new information, fanwork updates or game updates.
• Posting three or more times (for non new information), or just to "bump" a thread is always prohibited.
• Certain forums may be more lenient on double posting for non information posts. Please read each section's rules before double posting.

• When you would like to make a small adjustment, you can use the edit function, and when you want to reply to several posts at once, you can use the multiquote function. For a how-to on using these functions, please go here.
You won't be penalized for multiple posts caused by glitches.
• You can also receive an infraction for multiple posting if you create a thread identical to one already on the front page, including the sticky threads.
• More specifically, you can receive this infraction if you ask a simple question in its own thread when the forum has a Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread.

6. Pointless Post (3 points, 1 month)

• All posts have to say something useful and be relevant to the thread topic or the discussion.
• With the advent of the “like” button, just saying “I agree,” or any equivalent, to a post is a pointless post. Please add more thought to your posts.
• Posting to say “we already have this thread” is pointless, as is pointing out that someone else is breaking the rules (unless a moderator is doing one of these things). Use the report function instead of pointing it out in-thread.
• Posts that are not relevant to the topic or to the discussion fall under pointless post: make sure your post is relevant.
Posts reporting Japanese news that are translated using online translators (such as Google Translate or BabelFish) also fall under Pointless Post. Please post the original Japanese text and wait for someone proficient in Japanese to translate it.
• Furthermore, if a thread is user-specific (for fanfic, art, or for trades), it is for that user (and interactions concerning that user) only. Do not talk about other artists’ work, they have their own threads.
• Making a post about a banned topic is also considered a pointless post.
• Don’t post to say a thread is useless or boring -- instead of making one of these posts, just don’t post at all.
The Anime forum uses Bulbapedia’s translations of Japanese episode titles and is closely associated with Bulbapedia in general. Criticisms of titles (including alternate translations), as well as Bulbapedia in general should be taken to the Bulbawiki General forum. Posts made in other parts of the forum about these issues will be counted as pointless posts. Similarly, criticism of Bulbanews articles should be constructive and point out what the error is. Comments in Bulbanews threads should also stay relevant to the article.
• Finally, repeatedly reporting rule-abiding posts is considered Pointless Post.

7. Copyright Violation (4 points, 2 months)

• Users should not request or provide help to illegally view copyrighted material such as fansubs and scanlations or to download illegal programs such as emulators.
• They should also not claim fanworks as their own if they are not the creator and wish to post them.
• When posting fanworks that are not yours, please cite the original creator. Failing that, you may say that you don't know where it's from.
• Discussion of fansubs and fan scanlations is allowed as long as no translation group or hosting site is identified.
• Links to legal/licensed subs and scanlations (such as those hosted by Crunchyroll) are allowed.
• Youtube links to full or partial Pokémon episodes, movies, shorts, or specials are not allowed if they are longer than 2 minutes.
• Discussion on ROMs is allowed; however, do not mention or link to specific ROMs or emulators, mentioning/showing specific ROMs, or ask for help in using them.
The discussion or posting of Pokémon fan-made video games is not allowed.

8. Flaming & Baiting (5 points, 3 months)

• Users should never attack or insult another user or a group of users via posts, their signatures, avatars, usertitles, blog entries and comments, social groups, visitor messages or private messages.
• Mentioning a user or a group of users under the guise of another name still counts as flaming and baiting.
• Picking on a user for their grammar, spelling, or the content of their posts is unacceptable.
While criticism of their work is fine, any expressions of a desire to physically or otherwise personally harm a member of staff involved in the Pokémon franchise (anime, games or otherwise) will not be tolerated. There is never a need to resort to violent or malicious threats against other people.
• Continuing to post inflammatory opinions in an excessive amount of threads or where they don't belong after being asked to stop is unacceptable as well.
• Threats such as reporting a user, gloating and mockery are unacceptable behavior as well.

11. Violent Acts (10 points, 4 months)

Wishes or threats for another person (regardless of whether they are a user or not) to suffer or die are unacceptable. However, it is permissible in the News of the World and Nicoleta’s Bus subforums ONLY in regards to discussions on serious issues (such as the death penalty, abortion, reacting to a horrible crime and force used by a state).
• Similarly, posts supporting crimes against humanity (murder, genocide, rape, etc.) are unacceptable.

Feel free to ask any questions about this.

Could you explain why fan made games are prohibited to talk about?

And do you mean like Pokemon game hacks?

Could you explain why fan made games are prohibited to talk about?

And do you mean like Pokemon game hacks?

Nintendo doesn't approve of fans making their own games with Pokemon in them. (Not necessarily hacks.) Therefore, we don't allow them here either.

But yes, Pokemon game hacks are included.

Have you considered bumping up the signature size rule? I'm not gonna name names, but I see many people having them larger than 500kb, including staff.

Have you considered bumping up the signature size rule? I'm not gonna name names, but I see many people having them larger than 500kb, including staff.

Staff are allowed to have slightly larger-than-normal (within reason) signatures; much like the larger avatars, it's one of the perks of the job. If you see regular users with signatures that exceed the limitations, feel free to report them and we'll see if action needs to be taken. :)

Okay. I was never told that. And as someone who has gotten in trouble with signature sizes more than once, I'm not gonna report people about it. I'm sure you can understand that.

Last edited:
Okay. I was never told that. And as someone who has gotten in trouble with signature sizes more than once, I'm not gonna report people about it. I'm sure you can understand that.

Fair enough (I've been pinged for an oversize signature before tbqh). 'Tis in the rules, though:

• Signatures should not exceed 600 pixels wide and 160 pixels talls, or have a file size larger than 500 kB. Spoiler tags may not be used in signatures. If you are concerned that your signature is in violation of these rules, you can use this thread for help.
  • Mods, in exchange for their commitment, are allowed larger signatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom