• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapp

I don't know, because most competitions usually don't allow people listing multiple answers, seeming everyone could just list all the possible answers to widen their chances.

Well, if they wanted a single answer they should've made sure to ask questions that only have one correct answer. If I'm presented with questions that definitely have more than one correct answer, I thought it only made sense for me to cover all bases and list all valid options I find. It'd be quite unfair if I were forced to choose, say, between XD and Fishing Rally, when both can be valid depending on one's view of what should count as a game. I see they chose to go with Fishing Rally and that's cool, as long as I don't get disqualified just for suggesting it could possibly be XD instead, depending on their view. Archaic seemed to imply it's ok earlier but I just wanted full on confirmation my answers specifically were all ok.

Re: Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapp

I don't know, because most competitions usually don't allow people listing multiple answers, seeming everyone could just list all the possible answers to widen their chances.

Well, if they wanted a single answer they should've made sure to ask questions that only have one correct answer. If I'm presented with questions that definitely have more than one correct answer, I thought it only made sense for me to cover all bases and list all valid options I find. It'd be quite unfair if I were forced to choose, say, between XD and Fishing Rally, when both can be valid depending on one's view of what should count as a game. I see they chose to go with Fishing Rally and that's cool, as long as I don't get disqualified just for suggesting it could possibly be XD instead, depending on their view. Archaic seemed to imply it's ok earlier but I just wanted full on confirmation my answers specifically were all ok.

I agree, it's not like you listed every gen 3 pokemon there is and said 'it's 3 of these'

I'm trying to figure out exactly how Fishing Rally is "less game" than XD. You can play it, it's a game.

The winners have been mailed… Nothing in my mailbox. Dang it…

Emails are out, not got one :( Oh well.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how Fishing Rally is "less game" than XD. You can play it, it's a game.

Seriously? It's an extremely minor obscure release that hardly anyone heard of and who's probably more deserving to be called a "mini game" if anything. It's hardly a proper game release of the Pokémon series. Again, I'm not complaining at it being the answer, that's all cool considering we were told to use Bulbapedia and the answer was just there, but you can't blame me for listing both XD and Fishing Rally because it is totally possible they could go with either of these. I just wanted to get some confirmation from Archaic that listing both would be ok, I don't really care how anyone personally chooses to view the status of Fishing Rally...

We have that saying in Polish ― "Hope dies last". So… What would happen should one of the winners not respond to the e-mail?

We allow it under certain circumstances. Namely...

1. For a question along the lines of "name X that fulfill these conditions", you name more than is required while asserting that they all fulfill the conditions, and they do actually all fulfill the conditions.
You're basically just giving us more info than we need here. If one of the ones you gave us was wrong however, we wouldn't take it.

2. You clearly state how you see two possible interpretations of a question, and give us the answer for each of the interpretations you see.
We just take the answer from the interpretation that was intended with the question (which is always going to be the most expansive one that could be read into the wording).

Last edited:

I take it that things like listing both XD and Fishing Rally are ok then. That said, guess I didn't win since no e-mail...

Congrats @Fennekin the fox; =)

I've had 3 winners reply to their emails so far, including Fennekin. Waiting to hear back from the other winners, expect I'll probably have a few waiting for me from the American entrants tomorrow morning.

Prizes for our Christmas Contests in December will include copies of ORAS, as well as 2DS and New 3DS consoles.

Okay, I'm SO entering all the categories in December.

Congrats to the people who won.

No email. *Sigh*
Guess I'll have to wait until Christmas...

Wait would, the default answer of speed values for roar/whirlwind cancelling out the opponents count, or do you need to switch out for sure? Cause I got Grace/Kecleon-Latios-Lati as my Q2/Q4 answers, meaning I either got 4/5 or 5/5 depending on Q3.

Well, no email in my inbox, so I guess regardless of whether or not my answer for #3 was accepted doesn't matter now. What's this December thing that's going on though? I don't see any info on it for this year.

... I even found the right page for #1 . When I checked, which I did about eight times, I sorted by Japanese release date and somehow didn't see Fishing Rally. It really confused me that I ended up with XD too, 'cause I was sure it would end up being an obscure title. But I guess it had to have been there, 'cause I checked today and it was there, and editing Bulbapedia has been locked for a while.

Well, I had all the answers correct except for number 4; never did find that half deck. Since I didn't have an answer for that question, I ended up not entering. Oh well, it was fun anyway. Here's how I found the answers I did.
1. I grabbed Bulbapedia's launch date from the Bulbapedia article, then worked through "Pokémon games". XD popped up first, but I knew it couldn't be that easy, and soon found the Fishing Rally game.
2. I went to "List of anime characters", then used Notepad to write down every character from the AG series that was marked as recurring. Then I used the basic Find function to see if each name was mentioned more than once. After weeding out false positives, I came up with Shauna, Grace, and Kenny.
3. The wording immediately rang a bell, and I headed to "Focus Punch" to confirm the answer. This question was the only one where pre-existing knowledge helped me.
5. I searched Bulbapedia with Google, using "site:bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net <search query here>". After trying "team aqua team magma truce" and variants for maybe half an hour, I came upon the article "PS230", in which Archie and Maxie agree to a truce. Since I didn't get the ORAS demo, the answer from that came from another user, who shall remain anonymous.

Last edited:

So I wasn't a member previously, and I didn't win anything. But this was fun! Managed to get all the answers correct other than being uncertain if "Released" meant a game that was sold or included the Fishing Rally game (So I put both in)) and needing a prompt to look into Focus Punch some more, I almost suggested one mon using Pursuit on a switching opponent while your other mon switched out.

Anyway, wanted to say congrats to the winners and thanks to the people who put the work into providing the contest! Maybe I'll stick around for a while now that I'm getting back into Pokemon after a few generations of hiatus :)

I sorted by Japanese release date and somehow didn't see Fishing Rally.
Yeah, I made the same mistake. Here was the problem with that: By sorting the columns, the games are listed by year correctly, but the trouble comes with the months. By sorting, the months are not listed chronologically (January, February, March,...) but alphabetically (April, August, December, February, March, May, January, June, July, November, September, October). That threw me off too, but when I checked the page without sorting (unfortunately after the competition ended), it became obvious that Fishing Rally was right.

Well. That's annoying. Guess we need to work on our sorting algorithms. Good heads up, though. Wouldn't want this to happen in the Christmas contests. Those things are way more coveted, and it'd suck to lose out on a perfect score because of the way the columns are sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom