• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapp

I just sent in my answers but I now realise I've answered question 3 incorrectly due to seeing clarification on your FaceBook page. Is there any way I can change my answers or am I too late?
Link? I never saw such a clarification and question 3 was one of those I was really confused over due to the wording...

Re: Bulbagarden ORAS Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapp

OK, I just sent my answers but I am not sure about #3 . Couldn't think anything better, so ... Good luck everyone!

THE CONTEST IS OVER! We are now free to discuss the answers without helping potential rivals. Here are what I sent, let me know if you have any of them different, so that we can figure out the correct answers. Though I'm pretty confident.

1. What was the first Pokémon video game to be released in Japan after Bulbagarden launched the Bulbapedia wiki?

> PokéPark: Fishing Rally DS was released on May 10, 2005.

2. There is a minor recurring character from the English dub of Pokémon during the Advance Generation series, who has the same name as a recurring character from a later Pokémon season. What is their name?

> The name is Shauna.

3. Apart from being forced to switch out as the result of a Pokémon's attack, how could a player in the Generation III core series Pokémon games (ie. R/S/E and FR/LG) have one of their Pokémon start to execute an attack before they switch out on that exact same turn?

> Picking Focus Punch on the first Pokémon in a Double Battle and then cancelling that order when asked about the action of the second Pokémon (pressing "B" to go back to the first one) and instead recalling said Pokémon would, in Generation III, result in a glitch making the Pokémon tighten its focus and switch immediately afterwards.

4. Which three Generation III Pokémon were given Pokémon Trading Card Game cards prior to the actual start of Generation III?

> The Pokémon in question are Latios, Latias and Wailmer, all three of which were featured in the Theater Limited VS Pack ― released on July 13, 2002, while the first Generation III games themselves, Ruby & Sapphire, were released in Japan on November 21 that year.

5. Name two occasions on which Team Aqua and Team Magma were seen to co-operate with each other, from any kind of Pokémon media (Pokémon anime, Pokémon manga, or Pokémon games).

> The two teams formed a truce in Pokémon Adventures (Pokémon Special) manga in order to successfully reach Groudon and Kyogre in the Seafloor Cavern.
> Team Magma Admin Tabitha and Team Aqua Admin Matt battled side by side in the Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Special Demo, trying to defeat the player and Steven Stone in a Double Battle.

any one stuck on Question 3 hear is a bit more then a hint Theater Limited VS Pack (TCG) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia is the season of giving :)

This is.... blatantly giving away the whole answer. I find it a bit unfair that some people have been throwing hints (or a full answer as in this quote) through this thread...
Like some of us sent our answers before seeing these posts and that could help a lot... anyway, I guess I can only hope for the best now.
I wish the staff would be appreciating of full detailed answers (I tried to make my answers well-written and always providing the bulbapedia links too) so like maybe you can pick 5 winners based on the most well written answers (especially these sent a bit earlier before all hints and answers shared here...) and then choose 5 at random from all the other correct entries? just saying...
Either way, praying to Arceus I can win this... it's my only chance to play ORAS at release date...

THE CONTEST IS OVER! We are now free to discuss the answers without helping potential rivals. Here are what I sent, let me know if you have any of them different, so that we can figure out the correct answers. Though I'm pretty confident.

1. What was the first Pokémon video game to be released in Japan after Bulbagarden launched the Bulbapedia wiki?

> PokéPark: Fishing Rally DS was released on May 10, 2005.

2. There is a minor recurring character from the English dub of Pokémon during the Advance Generation series, who has the same name as a recurring character from a later Pokémon season. What is their name?

> The name is Shauna.

3. Apart from being forced to switch out as the result of a Pokémon's attack, how could a player in the Generation III core series Pokémon games (ie. R/S/E and FR/LG) have one of their Pokémon start to execute an attack before they switch out on that exact same turn?

> Picking Focus Punch on the first Pokémon in a Double Battle and then cancelling that order when asked about the action of the second Pokémon (pressing "B" to go back to the first one) and instead recalling said Pokémon would, in Generation III, result in a glitch making the Pokémon tighten its focus and switch immediately afterwards.

4. Which three Generation III Pokémon were given Pokémon Trading Card Game cards prior to the actual start of Generation III?

> The Pokémon in question are Latios, Latias and Wailmer, all three of which were featured in the Theater Limited VS Pack ― released on July 13, 2002, while the first Generation III games themselves, Ruby & Sapphire, were released in Japan on November 21 that year.

5. Name two occasions on which Team Aqua and Team Magma were seen to co-operate with each other, from any kind of Pokémon media (Pokémon anime, Pokémon manga, or Pokémon games).

> The two teams formed a truce in Pokémon Adventures (Pokémon Special) manga in order to successfully reach Groudon and Kyogre in the Seafloor Cavern.
> Team Magma Admin Tabitha and Team Aqua Admin Matt battled side by side in the Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Special Demo, trying to defeat the player and Steven Stone in a Double Battle.

Oh, so I did do the same as others in Question 3 haha. For Question 5, I selected two different pages of the manga, I hope that was ok, I didn't even think about the ORAS demo. Question 4 I selected Kecleon, Latios and Latias, seeming Kecleon had a card Kecleon (P Promo 1), which was released in the P Promotional cards between July 2001 - July 2002, before Gen III began, so I'm guessing all four are correct answers.

Although I've seen around 220 entries have had 5 correct answers according to their Twitter. Yeah, I'm not winning this contest haha!

I can almost guarantee there is another accepted answer. If Bulbagarden actually expects this answer, I'll be dumbfounded. This is just utterly specific and requires so much digging... This may be in the trivia section of Focus Punch's page, but still, the chance of even visiting Focus Punch's page and then happening upon the trivia section on top of that...eh.

I came up with the following answer, although to be fair, it isn't necessarily less convoluted: On the turn the Pokemon uses a move with a charge turn, such as Fly or Solar Beam, the opposing Pokemon faints due to indirect damage via hail for example, and then the Pokemon has the chance to switch before the move fully executes only if it's a Single Battle against a non-battle facility NPC and you have the Battle Style in the Options menu set to Shift.

Last edited:

Huh, well here were my answers:

1) PokePark: Fishing Rally DS (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness if DS Download play demos don't count as video game releases) - I wasn't sure, since I don't count the DS Download play stuff as actual games, more like mini-games...

2) I found 4 characters, according to Bulbapedia's character listing there are a huge amount of "recurring" characters that appear more than once, so I just listed them all: Shauna, Kenny, Joshua (Technically both AG but different dub seasons), and Grace

3) I...must have missed the glitch bit. If anything, I got this question wrong. I said if I were to use focus punch and my opponent were to have their ghost-type Pokemon curse while under half health, it would faint without dealing damage to mine and I would be asked if I wanted to switch out, since the rounds didn't end in Gen III once the pokemon was knocked out. I also listed a sort of technicality answer that if I were to be in a double battle, I could have my first pokemon switch out and my second use pursuit on my first pokemon, causing me to both "start' and "finish" an attack before voluntarily switching out, but I'm not sure if that's a legit thought process or just overthinking on my part.

4) I found Latios and Latias and it took me 3 HOURS to find the third, Kecleon. When I found out the page with the latios and latias had wailmer too, I was REALLY annoyed at myself for not paying closer attention...

5) Pokemon Adventures round 232 where the leaders call a temporary truce to get to the seafloor cavern, and the OR/AS demo where Matt and Tabitha teamed up to fight the PC. I was REALLY tempted to go into a very long, drawn out explanation about how the ending of Pokemon Emerald includes Archie and Maxie working together on both a psychological and personal level to overcome their flaws and garbage like that, but I didn't want to push it and make whoever was looking through these even more annoyed at my already long responses (due to 2 and 3...).

So yeah, not sure if mine counts as all 5 points or not, but regardless good luck to everyone!

Correct Answers according to Bulbagarden Twitter (I'm sure they'll be posted soon elsewhere) - I'll update as the answers are posted.

1) PokéPark: Fishing Rally DS

3) Focus Punch glitch (Other answers acceptable: TBA)

My Score (so far) 2/2

BulbaTwitter is giving out the correct answers, I got #1 right after all! And that was the most difficult question apparently.

Question #3 was about the Focus Punch glitch, obviously. And no, I don't agree it was difficult to find, it's literally the only single-turn move you can "prepare to execute".

I didn't actually enter the contest, but I found some of the answers just out of curiosity. Question 3 just screamed a glitch to me since it specified that it only happened in the main series Gen III games, and the Focus Punch thing is easily findable on the Gen III glitch page.

I didn't actually enter the contest, but I found some of the answers just out of curiosity. Question 3 just screamed a glitch to me since it specified that it only happened in the main series Gen III games, and the Focus Punch thing is easily findable on the Gen III glitch page.

Actually, they didn't say it worked ONLY in gen III (could've been possible due to something gen III introduced, like Abilities or… Focus Punch), but yeah, not really hard.

> The name is Shauna.

I got slightly different answers but I'm sure there acceptable. For #2 I got Kenny, who appeared in a few episodes of AD and became recurring in Sinnoh Kenny (Hoenn) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia Kenny (Sinnoh) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

For 4 instead of Wailmer I got Kecleon, who was released in this: P Promotional cards (TCG) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia . It's funny because I put the Theater Limited VS Pack as my source for Latios/Latias but didn't notice Wailmer...

I can almost guarantee there is another accepted answer. If Bulbagarden actually expects this answer, I'll be dumbfounded. This is just utterly specific and requires so much digging... This may be in the trivia section of Focus Punch's page, but still, the chance of even visiting Focus Punch's page and then happening upon the trivia section on top of that...eh.

This was the easiest for me, the description screamed 'glitch', so I went to List of glitches in Generation III - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia and found it immediately

220 is a lot more that I was expecting, given how obscure pokepark fishing rally is... edit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_games_by_release_date - never mind... this page would have certainly made my search easier, I was looking at every game page....

5 out of 5, congratulations.

I've still got another 50 or so entries to grade, but here's the quick and dirty answer summary.

1. PokéPark: Fishing Rally DS. Found via the List of Games by Release Date. The most common incorrect answer was XD.
2. Multiple valid answers, but easiest to find is Shauna. Simplest way was to look at the List of Anime Characters. Other popular valid answers include Kenny and Grace.
3. Multiple valid answers, but the intended (and easiest) one is the Focus Punch Glitch. Other accepted answers included more esoteric uses of abilities or natural weather effects (ie. things not initially triggered by an attack) to cause a KO. The question was indeed worded to make people think of glitches, and could easily be found on the List of glitches in Generation III page. The most common invalid answer was Baton Pass.
4. Multiple valid answers, but the intended (and easiest) are Wailmer, Latios, and Latias from the Theater Limited VS Pack. A link to this set (along with the other Japanese promotional sets where other valid cards are found) is on the main Pokémon Trading Card Game page.
5. Multiple valid answers, but the most obvious are the incident in the ORAS demo, and the team-up in the Adventures manga.

BulbaTwitter is giving out the correct answers, I got #1 right after all! And that was the most difficult question apparently.

Question [URL=http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] was about the Focus Punch glitch, obviously. And no, I don't agree it was difficult to find, it's literally the only single-turn move you can "prepare to execute".

Well, #3 had some tricks in the wording that could be interpreted differently, resulting in different solutions. For example, it says start to execute its attack, but it never says that the move doesn't successfully occur. From that, other possible scenarios (and we'll see how many end up being accepted as alternate answers) spring up, such as causing the other Pokémon to faint and then shifting Pokémon (having "Shift" enabled), or dying to something that was not an attack and being forced to switch out that way (i.e. status condition, Sandstorm, Rough Skin, etc.). Heck, depending on what exactly constitutes a move, if a confused Pokémon started to execute an attack, but ended up being confused and killing itself in its own confusion, that would fulfill all the criteria as well.

I personally had thought of Focus Punch as a possibility for the exact reason that you described, as being the only move that does that automatically. But, since I didn't see the part in the trivia section, and I had no prior knowledge of the glitch, I had thought the wording had led me astray, and so I searched elsewhere and came up with an alternate explanation. While I understand why the expected answer best fits all the criteria in the question, and in retrospect it makes a great deal of sense, I just thought it would be useful to show why exactly things might not have been so simple for everyone.

TL;DR The English language is flexible to a fault, and different people think differently about questions posed to them.

Well, #3 had some tricks in the wording that could be interpreted differently, resulting in different solutions. For example, it says start to execute its attack, but it never says that the move doesn't successfully occur. From that, other possible scenarios (and we'll see how many end up being accepted as alternate answers) spring up, such as causing the other Pokémon to faint and then shifting Pokémon (having "Shift" enabled), or dying to something that was not an attack and being forced to switch out that way (i.e. status condition, Sandstorm, Rough Skin, etc.). Heck, depending on what exactly constitutes a move, if a confused Pokémon started to execute an attack, but ended up being confused and killing itself in its own confusion, that would fulfill all the criteria as well.

I personally had thought of Focus Punch as a possibility for the exact reason that you described, as being the only move that does that automatically. But, since I didn't see the part in the trivia section, and I had no prior knowledge of the glitch, I had thought the wording had led me astray, and so I searched elsewhere and came up with an alternate explanation. While I understand why the expected answer best fits all the criteria in the question, and in retrospect it makes a great deal of sense, I just thought it would be useful to show why exactly things might not have been so simple for everyone.

TL;DR The English language is flexible to a fault, and different people think differently about questions posed to them.
And this is exactly why we decided to accept some other answers for this question. We didn't accept every scenario people put forward, but if your scenario relied on something introduced Gen III (since we did clearly say the questions were based off Gen III) like Abilities or some areas always having certain weather effects, we probably accepted it.

So if we're going by the answers:

1 - Correct
2 - Correct
3 - Correct
4 - I'm guessing I got it Correct despite choosing Kecleon instead of Wailmer.
5 - Again, I'm guessing I got it Correct seeming I chose two chapters of the manga.

But with 275 people with 5/5, I'm not holding out for an email!

1. PokéPark: Fishing Rally DS. Found via the List of Games by Release Date. The most common incorrect answer was XD.

I said in my answer there are two possible options depending one if you only count "real games" or even minor ones, then listed both XD and Fishing Rally. It should count as a correct answer then, right?

2. Multiple valid answers, but easiest to find is Shauna. Simplest way was to look at the List of Anime Characters. Other popular valid answers include Kenny and Grace.

For this one I again suggested two possibilities, Kenny and Shauna. Again I'd assume it should be ok since they're both valid answers.

4. Multiple valid answers, but the intended (and easiest) are Wailmer, Latios, and Latias from the Theater Limited VS Pack. A link to this set (along with the other Japanese promotional sets where other valid cards are found) is on the main Pokémon Trading Card Game page.

I listed 4 pkmn, the three found in this set + Kecleon. Again, I guess it should count then since I was just covering all possible answers I found.

Also, just saying again I really hope more well-written / detailed / with links / etc... entries would be appreciated, especially these sent earlier before all hints and answers flying around. But that's up to you to decide.
The anticipation is killing me haha... this will determine if I will play ORAS on releate date or not.

I said in my answer there are two possible options depending one if you only count "real games" or even minor ones, then listed both XD and Fishing Rally. It should count as a correct answer then, right?

For this one I again suggested two possibilities, Kenny and Shauna. Again I'd assume it should be ok since they're both valid answers.

I listed 4 pkmn, the three found in this set + Kecleon. Again, I guess it should count then since I was just covering all possible answers I found.

Also, just saying again I really hope more well-written / detailed / with links / etc... entries would be appreciated, especially these sent earlier before all hints and answers flying around. But that's up to you to decide.
The anticipation is killing me haha... this will determine if I will play ORAS on releate date or not.

I don't know, because most competitions usually don't allow people listing multiple answers, seeming everyone could just list all the possible answers to widen their chances.

Well, I definitely got all five right.

I was definitely sure that the answer for the first question was PokePark: Fishing Rally DS, but I also gave the answer to the first retail/main series game (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness) released in Japan since Bulbapedia launched as well, since I wasn't sure because Fishing Rally was a limited release game that closed down a few months later.

The second answer is easy. What I did was looking at the Advance Generation section of the list of anime characters page and sorting for recurring characters. Shauna definitely came into mind here, given that she only recently appeared in the games and the XY series (complete with a link to the recurring character in Hoenn) makes it pretty obvious.

I was similarly stumped by question 3, since the attack has to go first before switching out. I originally thought the answer was Pursuit, but that would also be applicable to gen 2 as well, considering that the trivia questions are gen 3-specific. Then I realized that Focus Punch in gen 3 has a priority of 8 and looking at the trivia section gave me the answer to this question.

Question 4 is also pretty easy. Looking at the list of Pokemon revealed before the release of gen 3 gave me the answer: Kecleon from the P promotional cards, (Ross's) Wailmer from the Theater Limited VS Pack, and (Alto Mare's) Latias and (Alto Mare's) Latios from the Theater Limited VS Pack and the J promotional cards.

Question 5 is fairly obvious. I'm sure many knew of the team-up in the ORAS demo, but the other took me some researching. I eventually found out that Team Magma and Aqua collaborated with each other during the Seafloor Cavern portion of Pokemon Adventures/Special.

I already sent the answer yesterday. All and all, I had fun finding all these answers once I started to figure it out. I'm also kinda surprised that many missed the first question, even though they can just search for the list of Pokemon games on Bulbapedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom