• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Bulbagarden Reviewing Secret Santa 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misfit Angel

Normal is an illusion
Reaction score
RgDlVUo.png

December is soon upon us, and that means a month of holiday celebrations! This year, we'd like to celebrate our community's writers by hosting a review exchange. In the spirit of giving, those who participate will both give and receive reviews and other creative gifts; there's also some hefty Review League points up for grabs, too! A gift from us moderators to you.

What could be better than curling up under a blanket and warming yourself with a good story? Or, I guess sitting in front of an AC unit, for our antipodean friends.

bv2XPFK.png

Are you interested in participating? It's as simple as signing up, awaiting your assignments and then reading and reviewing!

We're not asking for folks who participate to build the most comprehensive review possible (though that is certainly welcome, and certainly lucrative in terms of Review League points), we're simply trying to encourage an increase in the reviewing culture. What does a review mean for you? A full story read, in which you comment on each chapter, the way characters grow and change and how they interact with the plot? Or something simple, where you comment on a chapter or two in greater detail? However you review other stories any other time of the year is how we would like you to review those that you are assigned. This isn't meant to be a stressful event, but a fun event for all!

Not confident in your reviewing skills, or not much of a reviewer in the first place? That's fine! We have an old article in the Workshop Academy dedicated to helping people form a review! Or you can check out reviews left by other people to see how they do it for inspiration on how to form your own critiques of your assigned story.

Reviews can be posted any time between December 21st and January 1st. Reviews made as part of the official review exchange are worth double points in the Review League! In addition, if you'd like to attach an extra gift to the review, such as a banner, a piece of fan art, a musical piece inspired by the story or even a short work of your own featuring the story's characters, that extra bit of effort is worth a hefty bonus of 10 Review League points!

However, reviews that are posted after the January 1st deadline are not eligible for bonus Review League points.

UQ7I9Ar.png

Interested in participating? You can sign up to enter here! What we'll need:

Author name:
Primary work:
Secondary work:
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?:

If we have enough participants and the math works out, we may be able to arrange for another story of yours to be reviewed as well! You'd still only get two reviews out of this event, but they would be split between your primary and secondary works. If you are only interested in reviews for one story, please leave the secondary work section blank.

When submitting your works, tell us how long they are. We'll try to distribute stories in a manner that's comparative between story lengths, with fairness in mind. Similarly, if you're willing to tackle a longer story (think of the potential bonus points for a larger review!), specify that with your author name as well!

Signups close on December 5th.

We hope to see lots of participation here! Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
What a swell idea.

Author name: AceTrainer14
Primary work: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps (Story is very long. Too long. Oh gawd why isn't it finished yet. Two potential options for reviewers: most recent arc/s for returning readers, or first two arcs for newcomers. Would prefer recent arc/s though)
Secondary work: Dreams That You Dreamed (only seven chapters at time of posting)

Since I am inflicting 8ES on someone, I cannot say no to reading a long story myself!

Last edited:
Well, this looks like it will be interesting. Sure, why not?

Author’s name: Namohysip (Namo)
Primary work: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Hands of Creation
Length: Long. I do NOT expect a cumulative review for the entire work. I can give subsections as desired, especially if my reviewer has already read much of the work up to this point.

I generally don't mind reading Mature fics, though it's not my preference. I definitely prefer Teen fics, but I'm not against grabbing M or E fics.

Each chapter is ~5k words, and the forums have 24 of them as of this post, as well as a 1k prelude and a 9k special episode.

Last edited:
Can I try this? I've been wanting to read some more stuff here.

Author name: Juliko
Primary work: Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey (My long fic, not finished yet. If anyone wants, they can read the first few chapters if they want, not the whole story)
Secondary work: Echoes In The Dark, my Bambi one-shot fic, and Open Book, a Harvest Moon oneshot I wrote.
Length: Any review length is fine, though I do like long reviews. But I'll leave length up to the reviewer themselves so as to not make them feel pressured.
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: Yes

Last edited:
ho ho ho-oh, fam

Author: kintsugi
Primary Work: some rise by sin (I’d say it’s average for ongoing chaptered fics here, maybe leaning a bit on the shorter side. Nineteen chapters + four interludes + an assortment of meme chapters.)
Secondary Work: Dungeons & Dragonite (short boi. Currently two chapters. Currently being edited to one chapter. Hoping to get the entire story posted before Christmas for reasons, but even at full length it’s mostly a meaty-one shot.)

I’m still making half-hearted attempts to crack the RL ladder, so I’m okay with reading a lot!

Author Name: UselessBytes
Primary Work: Snowfall. It's quite short at the moment, but I'll be posting more before the review deadline on the first of January. However, it'll still be short enough by that point where reading the whole thing won't be too much of a task.

I'm not opposed to reading something long, but I don't have all the time I used to, so something short to medium length for me to review would be fantastic!

Author name: Patrick Haines
Primary work: The Archsage War. I am still in the process of posting, but I hope to have most of it up before the deadline. I would like a full review.
Length: I will more than willingly take anything length since mine cracks 100,000 words. I am kind of interested to read How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps, if we can make requests. Thanks.

Author name: lucarioknight56
Primary work:
PMD: Twilit Destinies
Secondary work:
PMD: Unequivocant
Not really.

Hopefully my mind will feel clear again by the time the reviewing period comes up...

Author name: unrepentantAuthor
Primary work: Different Eyes
Secondary work:
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: sure

I'm trying not to over-commit to things as I have done, but I've got holiday time over Christmas! I can handle one extra review!

Author name: Cutiefly
Primary work: A Journey of Different Heroes
Secondary Work:
Yes

I hope I did this correctly. :)

Author name: Ereshkigal​
Primary work: Multiple Dimensionality Redux. It's uh... Somewhere around 20,000 words? There's a bit of a mismatch between what is posted and what is in the save file, so I need to get an accurate count sometime. But, yeah, it's long and going to get longer.
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: I'm writing one, so I better be!

Author name: pbugle (would prefer to review story of relative similar length to my own)
Primary work: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Pathways of Aspiration
Secondary work:
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: Prefer teen fics, but I am fine with reviewing anything
Length: My stories a little less than 30,000 words, spread out between 10 or so chapters

Last edited:
Author name: Ryoma Maser
Primary work: Orre: The Desert
Secondary work: None.
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: Depends on the topic for the fic, but yes I would be.

Well, I finally would have an excuse for reading stuff and reviewing, so I’m in!

Author name:
Cresselia92
Primary work: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Delta Dossiers
Secondary work: Pokémon x Kingdom Hearts - Fateful Crossing
Am I willing to read MATURE rated fics?: Err… I’d rather not, especially not graphic stuff.

Both fics have just started, so you shouldn’t have troubles with reading and finishing them up. The chapters are longish, though, at around 10k.

So, it's entirely possible I've been very quiet due to work/physical health/negative mood/etc. Perhaps this would be a good excuse to shake some of the rust off? I hope so. ;~;

Author name: Ambyssin
Primary work: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light (Vol. 2). Only has a half-dozen chapters, but is technically part of series. That said, I have a summary blog post that can get anyone up to speed.
Secondary work: Restarting, I guess? It's a brief oneshot, but it's done, been judged for awards, and I don't plan on making changes to it. Only putting it here because I have to... I think?
Will I read M-rated fics?: Sure. Did it for the awards, so I don't have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom