• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Roleplaying Section Conversational thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone be interested in being in a simple Pokemon tournament RP? Im working on a few other RP ideas but i think itd be good to shake off the three years of GM rust with something straightforward
I might be interested too.

Hey guys, does anyone have any advice on how to get more life out of an RP? All of the ones I've entered have just died after a month-ish tops, not even given an ending, just died, in the middle of an event even. Since I'm GM-ing one now (sign-ups shamelessly plugged in my sig), I want to be able to get the maximum life out of it as possible. Any tips on how to do that?

Well, this is actually a bit of a hard one to answer cause it kind of falls on a lot of factors. First of all I'd say it depends on what the RP deals with and how you present it to your players. It's great to have what you're going to do planned out and to know what's going to happen, but you have to give the players insight and leeway into what's going on too. This is something I myself still struggle with as usually everyone has some sort of idea of what they want to do and can be afraid to let others change it too much, but I think creating something that attracts people and then allowing those people to mold it and have a say in what's going on is a good way to get things started.

The rest of that I think is to always keep up the momentum, if it seems like the players want to interact with each other then let them until you think that it's starting to drag the RP's momentum down a lot or if you feel that it's time to move on. A lot of the time RPs can die because the story loses momentum so eventually people just get tired of whatever's happening and when you want to get the momentum back it's already too late.

And lastly, and this relates to the first point, do thing sthat will keep your player's interests on. You have to keep a good eye on what your players respond to the most and try and take advantage of that to keep them hooked. If something is going on and they don't seem to be too interested in it then that means that the next time you do something like it you have to approach it in a way that'll catch their eye more. Also a good way to attract people to what you're doing and keep them there is also to include them in what's going on and making them feel like what they're doing matters.

It's kind of confusing and hard to effectively do every single time, that's why it's not something that can work 100% of the time no matter how much you try.

Also another way to keep the momentum going is to at least have an idea of what you're going to do ahead of time, I'm not saying you have to plan every little detail down but at least know what you want to start with and what's coming afterwards and such, doing things spontaneously can work yes but only when you already have a basis of what you're going to branch out from, I've had a lot of RPs that have died because I had no idea what I was going with besides the basic idea and thus I couldn't keep up mine or my players' interests for long.

Interesting. So, what I'm getting here is to have a plan, but be flexible in how it turns out; let the players shape things. But make sure to keep things moving at a decent pace. I've copied and saved that post into a word document too so that should be helpful, thanks for the tips.

Hey everyone. It's been a long time. Time to look and see what RPs I can get into.

That Rp has been archived for a little while now, so it would probably be a better bet to restart the RP all over (if the creator so chooses).

If I do restart it, it'll be after I shake off some rust. I need to just join an rp and get the feel back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom