• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

What is your favorite animal?
Cats. Ideal pet, except for the vet bills.
What's you're favorite TV show?
Frasier. Cracking show. Close runners up include The Thick of It, The Wire, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, The Office, Only Fools & Horses, Bruiser
How much time do you spend on Bulbagarden? Also, how many notifications, on average, do you have every time you go onto the forums?
Probably a couple hours a day, divided between the forums and staff discord. I use Bulbapedia as a resource, but it's not something I edit, though as Chief of Staff I do give some input in the running of it, and the other projects.

What is your favorite animal?
I have a favorite sea creature and land creature! Those would be the flamboyant cuttlefish and the western hognose snake.

How much time do you spend on Bulbagarden? Also, how many notifications, on average, do you have every time you go onto the forums?
It really depends on what I have going on both online and offline. I check in on the forums and Discord periodically throughout my day and I post when I can and feel like it.

I really don't get that many notifications. I watch a few individual threads but I never found it worthwhile to follow an entire section or even the busier threads when I can just go check those out when I have the time. I'd say it's usually 0-3 on the forums (if I have 3 then I consider myself very popular that day) and maybe one or two on Discord.

Favorite books/book genres?
I'm not really much of a book person but I enjoyed all the Harry Potter books, I also liked the Red Dwarf novels which are set in a different canon to the TV show though I still haven't read Last Human yet, I need to get round to reading it at some point but I always run out of time to set aside for it.

I don't read nearly as much books as I probably should :confused: Reading can be pretty hard with ADD. Though I am currently reading a book that argues that (most) humans are intrinsically good. It's an interesting read. I'm generally more into reading comics though (European comics, I have a decent collection of various titles) and recently I've been reading more manga as well.

More time than you'd think, less time than I'd like. My main problem is just getting pulled so many different ways by different things that need doing, when it'd be so much easier if I was able to focus on just one issue at a time.

Fantasy and sci-fi. Lately, that's been mostly Japanese works, like Banner of the Stars, Ascendence of a Bookworm, and Youjo Senki. I have an extensive collection of western fantasy and sci-fi from when I was younger though, including a lot of stuff from various roleplaying franchises like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, and Shadowrun.

Disgustingly, almost my entire fiction diet is given over to Black Library novels - that is, the publishing arm of the company that produces Warhammer. I'm currently on tenterhooks for the conclusion of the Horus Heresy series in particular.

My non-fiction library is a bit more respectable; history and politics are my bag. Accounts of election and referenda campaigns, British-Persian relations, the political development of post-colonial Africa, English and French rivalry and perceptions after the Glorious Revolution, James Comey's record of his meetings with Trump, a full-day account of the defence of Hougoumont farm at Waterloo...

Last edited:
Disgustingly, almost my entire fiction diet is given over to Black Library novels - that is, the publishing arm of the company that produces Warhammer. I'm currently on tenterhooks for the conclusion of the Horus Heresy series in particular.
Given your TV preferences, I'm assuming Caiphas Cain is up there in your list of faves?

Given your TV preferences, I'm assuming Caiphas Cain is up there in your list of faves?

Ha, no actually - I'm very much a Gaunt's Ghosts fan (got a couple things signed by Dan Abnett, too). I read the first Cain novel, but I think it suffered in comparison to the other series about a titular Commissar.

Also, the humour wasn't quite mean-spirited enough for me I think. There's a Chaos Marine novel out there (Dark Apostle?) where every alternate chapter follows the perspective of a new Imperial Guard character who gets brutally done in by the end of the chapter; the whole thing was unintentionally hilarious.

Disgustingly, almost my entire fiction diet is given over to Black Library novels - that is, the publishing arm of the company that produces Warhammer. I'm currently on tenterhooks for the conclusion of the Horus Heresy series in particular

Heretic.

I'm joking, given how much I've read of the Black Library over the years, but ... man, they need to stop commissioning friends and spouses, and they need to stop editing each other.

Back
Top Bottom