• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here on the forums, we feel it's important for you to know the faces of the staff team, are comfortable interacting with us and understand our role. With this in mind, we've created this new lighthearted, permanent Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread where you can quiz staff members on a range of topics, including our views on aspects of the franchise, our history with the site, and more.

Questions can be as frivolous and silly as you like, but here's some pointers to bear in mind:
  • At present myself, @evkl, @Torchic W. Pip, @lisianthus, @Okido, @Blanc, @Aulos, @DawningWinds, @Enzap, @TheCapsFan, @Lone_Garurumon, @Calvinッ, and @Archaic are happy to be tagged, and more staff may be added to this list over time. Ultimately however, whether or not to reply is always at the discretion of individual staff; please don't pester anyone.
  • Personal questions (how old we are, where we're from) are very welcome; creepy ones are not.
  • While we can answer broad questions about the site and how we do our jobs, this isn't the place for rules questions, discussions about site policy (including infractions) or Wiki issues. To discuss these matters, please use the appropriate thread or contact a member of staff directly.
And... that's it! Fire away!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of the following system? Just wondering, not complaining.

Honestly, beyond alerting you to when the followed member is online, I'm not too sure. Perhaps another staff member will be able to elaborate on the additional uses of this function.

Is there a tier list/hierarchy of staff jobs?

There certainly is! On the forums, we have Moderators, Super Moderators, Administrators, the Head Administrator (currently Maniacal Engineer) and their deputy. There's a couple of other guys above this who help oversee the wider site - the Chiefs of Staff and the Webmaster himself - but they're usually a bit less involved in day-to-day duties (such as dealing with reported posts) here.

What are some of the key differences between being a Moderator, Super Moderator, and Administrator? I guess this is kinda similar to what Torchic asked but I've always been curious as to what differentiates them all lol.

Also... asking everyone, if you guys were a Pokémon Type, which one (or two) would you be? :cool:

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European swallow?

What are some of the key differences between being a Moderator, Super Moderator, and Administrator? I guess this is kinda similar to what Torchic asked but I've always been curious as to what differentiates them all lol.

Speaking solely for myself, Super Moderators pitch in to help out with all sections rather than just one, and then can also be expected to advise a little more on site-wide issues and policy - though much of what we do is a full team effort, like the recent notice on toxicity.

Also... asking everyone, if you guys were a Pokémon Type, which one (or two) would you be? :cool:

As per this excellent thread, I'd say I'm Dark/Poison. I love Ground-types, too, though.

Last edited:

This is probably a fairly basic description but Moderators are sectional staff who look after the sections they moderate, my case being the Art Gallery :)

For pokemon types my two favourite types are water and dragon but if I were to choose a combo for myself I'd probably go with Dragon/Flying as I'd like to be a dragon with the ability to fly.

Moderator: regular staff members, typically assigned to one or two sections. Their most important tasks are to keep up with what's going on in their section, help out with reports, think of new threads, increase activity if possible, etc. But they are often also involved in discussions regarding sitewide matters.

Super Moderator: what Wyndon said. Mostly the same as Moderators, but instead of one or two sections they take on a more sitewide role.

Admins: similar to Super Moderators, but Admins are typically also involved in important sitewide decisions and matters. Admins also have a lot of fancy powers like being able to create banners or even entire sections.

Head Administrator (ME) and Deputy Head Administrator (me). We basically lead the aformentioned staff team and ranks. And we're also involved with important site matters.

Chief of Staff and Webmaster: they literally run the site.

Some oversimplifications here and there, but that's basically it.
Well considering my username was literally based on my favorite Type, I'd say Fire. But I'm actually not that fiery and passionate. I think Water better fits me since I'm a calm-natured person.

Moderators handle individual sectional staffing.
Super Moderators are global forum staff and can handle sectional staffing anywhere on the forums.
Admin handle a lot of behind the scenes stuff and coordinate forum events, forum staff drives, etc.

Steel/Electric

@WyndonCalling @Maniacal Engineer @Calvinッ what are your favorite Second stage starters?
From each generation:
Charizard
Typhlosion
Swampert
Empoleon
Emboar or Serperior (depends on how I’m feeling in any given day)
Greninja
Decidueye
Inteleon

what are your favorite Second stage starters?
I'll also go by generation:

I: Charizard
II: Typhlosion
III: Blaziken (literally my #1 favorite Pokemon. Though I also love Sceptile)
IV: Empoleon (used to be Infernape, but Empoleon has really grown on me)
V: Emboar
VI: Greninja
VII: Both Incineroar and Decidueye. Can't choose.
VIII: Cinderace

For everyone...What part of Pokemon would you like to get into more but can't because of time? For example manga, competitive, etc...

What non-Pokemon media do you think it's underrated and why would you recommend it?

For everyone...What part of Pokemon would you like to get into more but can't because of time? For example manga, competitive, etc...

There's not really anything; there's nothing stopping me from diving deeper into other elements. I have a fascination with competitive play but I ultimately find most formats by their very nature devolve and concentrate in on a small number of viable species, with intense number-crunching informing very precise matchups. This isn't a criticism of competitive communities, more a fait accompli and it simply isn't for me. I love most random battle formats though, where I get to experience a smorgasbord of species.

What non-Pokemon media do you think it's underrated and why would you recommend it?

It's probably the least-underrated media of all time, but I would urge anyone who's skeptical to block out any exposure to the fanbase and play Undertale. It's simply extremely well-written and composed, and you're denying yourself a great experience if you let the overbearing culture around it put you off.

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks all for the questions, nice to get some Q&A going :D

Also... asking everyone, if you guys were a Pokémon Type, which one (or two) would you be?
Oooh that's a hard one. I think I'd choose Electric because Mareep is my favourite, so i'm almost inclined too. And maybe Grass type aswell? Since most of my favourite starters (as seen below) are grass type, and I have a soft spot for Bulbasaur especially. So yeah, Electic / Grass.

what are your favorite Second stage starters?
I'll just do by generation too, if that's cool.

I: Venesaur
II: Typhlosion
III: Hard to pick between Sceptile and Swampert, but i'll go with Sceptile
IV: Torterra
V: Samurott
VI: Greninja
VII: Incineroar (Although truthfully i'm not a fan of any)
VIII: Rillaboom

A fair bit, I don't play the games anywhere near as much as I used to when I was younger. I had a ton of fun filling out the Galar dex though, but since i've done that I haven't played the games much. I used to love breeding mons aswell to trade away and to shiny hunt. Otherwise, aside from playing the games a bit more, i've really never watched the anime pass Diamond and Pearl, so if time or other interests weren't an issue, then that for sure.

This is a hard one too, as now nothing comes to mind and I'm stumped but I know for a fact there's a few things out there that I'm just not remembering right now!

Back
Top Bottom