• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

Also... asking everyone, if you guys were a Pokémon Type, which one (or two) would you be? :cool:
I like the idea of being a Fairy type and a Dark type. Both are awesome
what are your favorite Second stage starters?
I love Sceptile,Greninja,Primarina and Inteleon
For everyone...What part of Pokemon would you like to get into more but can't because of time? For example manga, competitive, etc...

What non-Pokemon media do you think it's underrated and why would you recommend it?
I wish I could do Shiny Hunting again but I just dont have the time.

Favorite food?
Pizza is high up there, meat aswell like prog rocker said, with the BBQ sauce.
What is your favorite forum game @Maniacal Engineer , and anyone else who would like to answer
Am I allowed to say mafia for this? Mafia for hosting for sure, but for actually playing I like the "What Member do you associate with the user above", it's cool to see how people see you compared to others and sometimes you get answers you wouldn't expect, which is always fun.
So, what about favourite videogames? Any Civilization series players here?
Legend of Zelda as a series for sure, I have a tattoo of the hyrule crest on my arm. There's tons of one off games I love too though, I'm usually always either working or on my gaming PC so I play a literal ton haha. I do enjoy Civ, got into it at V and also I have VI, but less than a hundred hours in each.

I like whoever came up with this thread idea. :lapras:
Nice to see some more casual staff interaction with the regular users, I was calling for this sort of thing for ages when I was staff, glad to see it was finally implemented over a year later.
I don't really have any questions at the moment...

How about... any plans for new dark forum themes, or if there was a new forum theme, what would you want in it?

I'll be following this thread eagerly.

I like whoever came up with this thread idea. :lapras:

*Bows*

How about... any plans for new dark forum themes, or if there was a new forum theme, what would you want in it?

We have a beautiful theme incoming in the next few weeks, after the new photography contest. I'm also interested in seeing a really slick, modern skin that matches some of the new Bulbanews style, and you're not the first to raise the possibility of more dark themes.

How do you earn the Hoenn trophies? Their requirements makes sense, but at the same time I feel that some users should have earned them, but have not.

How do you earn the Hoenn trophies? Their requirements makes sense, but at the same time I feel that some users should have earned them, but have not.
I don't really mess with the trophies but I would guess it's only threads started after the badge was implemented, which wasn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things. But maybe someone else here knows better.

I don't really mess with the trophies but I would guess it's only threads started after the badge was implemented, which wasn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things. But maybe someone else here knows better.
I do have the first one. But a recent thread that I've made has gotten more then 10 replies. And I haven't received the second one. So yeah...

I do have the first one. But a recent thread that I've made has gotten more then 10 replies. And I haven't received the second one. So yeah...
I've just gone to look at the settings, and it didn't look like they'd been set up right. Tried changing the settings to what they should be, but then when I went back in I could see the settings hadn't stuck. So we'll have to file that one under "bug" for now. We're currently testing some major updates to the forums, so with any luck things should be fixed once those are put in place.

I've just gone to look at the settings, and it didn't look like they'd been set up right. Tried changing the settings to what they should be, but then when I went back in I could see the settings hadn't stuck. So we'll have to file that one under "bug" for now. We're currently testing some major updates to the forums, so with any luck things should be fixed once those are put in place.
Thank you so much for the info! I'll be patient and wait for things to be fixed.

What's you're favorite TV show?
I realized I never answered this question, so I might as well! (And if it keeps this thread going, why not :wynaut:)

I have a couple of answers to this, in no particular order:

- Daredevil
In my mind, undoubtedly one of the best superhero live action shows ever made, if not the best. But it also works as just splendid drama television. For me it's the perfect balance between action, drama, story and emotion. The action scenes are some of the best I've ever seen and it all feels gritty and realistic. Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio were absolutely perfectly cast in their roles (D'Onofrio as Fisk is easily one of the best villain portrayals in live action comic book adapations at the very least if you ask me). But the rest of the cast is also great. I am kind of bummed that it was cancelled under Feige's plan to unify Marvel TV under Marvel's movie division, but at least they ended on a high note with Season 3. And I'm cautiously optimistic that Charlie Cox will one day return as Matt Murdock in the MCU, even if it's in a small role.

- The Mandalorian
I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan (I do call myself a fan, but I didn't grow up with the movies and I don't have the same love for it most other fans have), but I really love The Mandalorian. It's a flawed series in regard to its structure (a lot of episodes have basically the same premises so I can see how it could get repetitive for a lot of people. Also, this.), but the execution is top notch and you can feel the love that was poured into making the series. Whereas the Disney sequels fall short on a lot of things, and kind of lost that Star Wars feel to me, The Mandalorian absolutely feels like classic Star Wars, while also being very much its own thing. And there's Baby Yoda of course. While Baby Yoda is obviously one big marketing ploy, the bond between Mando and Baby Yoda is absolutely beautifully portrayed and it's kind of special how much it works as it does, given that Baby Yoda is portrayed by a puppet. I really can't wait to see where they go after what happened in Season 2 (I'm a bit worried but also curious).

- Cobra Kai
I'm a massive fan of the Karate Kid films so I was a bit anxious (but also curious) when this was first announced, but I'm surprised how much I ended up loving this show. Is it cheesy and clichéd at times? Yes. But the writing in this show is also fantastic and if anyone would ever ask me what property does fanservice in a right way, I would point to this show. The fanservice in the show for Karate Kid fans is absolutely incredible and it never feels forced. You can really feel that the creators of this show are diehard fans of the movies, but also know how to combine fanservice and story. The show also has great redemption arc for villains of the movies. Characters who may have seemed onedimensional at first get some incredible backstory in the show that makes you relate to them and understand where they are coming from. Billy Zabka as Johnny Lawrence is so freaking great (seriously the man should have been nominated for an Emmy by now) but the rest of the cast is great too and you can tell all the actors who starred in the movies are having an absolute blast reprising their roles. I also like the younger actors in the show, and while their storylines can get a bit overdramatic at times, it's nice how they balance and combine the storylines of the adults and the kids.

- How I Met Your Mother
I'm not even a big sitcom fan (most of them really don't work for me), but this one has always been kind of special to me because it has so much heart to it. Although I was hesitant to check it out because I'm not a sitcom fan, a cousin got me hooked on it and I ended up absolutely loving it. The writing in this show is so great, because it tells a coherent story over 9 seasons and they really set up the central mystery of the show in a really interesting way by giving a lot of hints that keep the viewer guessing. You can rewatch the show and pick up on tons of little details and I really like that. I also really like the 5 main characters and how they bounce off of each other. Although (spoilers, kinda) the ending of the show is absolutely bollocks and very disappointing, I've come to terms with it and it hasn't prevented me from HIMYM remaining one of my favorite shows (besides, the finale two-parter still had some incredibly touching and satisfying moments).

- South Park
Some people love it, some hate it, but I'm in the former camp. Not a lot of shows get a real good and genuine laugh out of me, but South Park is one that still does. Although I don't love every episode and I don't always agree with the message, I've always appreciated what South Park has been going for and sometimes it made me see things in a different light even if I disagree. I think Family Guy is alright, but I've always found its constant use of cutaway gags over coherent plot incredibly frustrating, and South Park is absolutely superior when it comes to that. South Park is able to give you episodes with a coherent plot, while still remaining funny and delivering hard hitting social commentary. I'm also a big fan of Trey Parker and Matt Stone in general. They do great work with all the voices, but also have a view of the world and a sense of humor (inspired by Monty Python, believe it or not) that I really relate to.

Well I have more, but these 5 are currently my absolute favorites. And I've even left out anime, I could ramble on about that as well.

(D'Onofrio as Fisk is easily one of the best villain portrayals in live action comic book adapations at the very least if you ask me).
While I definitely agree with you on this one and think that D’Onofrio’s Fisk is truly a wonder, I think that David Tennant’s portrayal of Kilgrave in Jessica Jones is better.
It’s so weird seeing D’Onofrio or Tennant as the villain, given their roles as Detective Goren and the Doctor, but goddamn they both do magnificent at it.

While I definitely agree with you on this one and think that D’Onofrio’s Fisk is truly a wonder, I think that David Tennant’s portrayal of Kilgrave in Jessica Jones is better.
It’s so weird seeing D’Onofrio or Tennant as the villain, given their roles as Detective Goren and the Doctor, but goddamn they both do magnificent at it.
I agree, David Tennant was also fantastic as Kilgrave and is absolutely in that upper echelon of comic book villain portrayals (also, I just love David Tennant in general, the man is a treasure :bulbaLove:). Shame he only got one season to truly shine, but he absolutely did.

I agree, David Tennant was also fantastic as Kilgrave and is absolutely in that upper echelon of comic book villain portrayals (also, I just love David Tennant in general, the man is a treasure :bulbaLove:). Shame he only got one season to truly shine, but he absolutely did.
I actually got to meet David Tennant in person just before our mutual birthday of April 18th five years ago.
He’s a delight IRL, as well, and wishing him a happy birthday and having him wish me a happy birthday is a memory I will treasure forever.

And yeah, the biggest shame is that he was only the main villain in the first season and had very minor cameos in the following seasons, but, to be fair, with a character as powerful as Kilgrave, locking him up wasn’t quite as viable of an option as it was for someone like Fisk, although, ultimately, locking way Fisk turned out to not be a great idea, either.

When does your usertitle change from "new member" to "well known member"?

edit: also, when a thread is in bold text, what does that mean? Or does it mean anything at all?

Last edited:
When does your usertitle change from "new member" to "well known member"?

edit: also, when a thread is in bold text, what does that mean? Or does it mean anything at all?
For the first one, it has to do with your post number I think.

For the second one, it means there are unread posts there.

Catching up on some questions with some one-sentence quality content for everyone.

Favorite food?

Sushi.

Favorite books/book genres?

I don't read much anymore, but I recently read The Glass Castle and I couldn't put it down.

What is your favorite forum game @Maniacal Engineer , and anyone else who would like to answer

When I was younger I was a big fan of the Kingdom of Pokemon series, though both my interest and the forum's interests have died down in recent years.

favorite kind of music?

I feel like I've answered this one before but I'll go ahead and do so again; my favorite styles of music include but are not limited to, indie pop, bedroom pop, alternative indie, funk, alternative metal, post-grunge, and hyperpop.

i like midwest emo and math rock. right now i'm listening to a japanese band called JYOCHO, they're very good

Midwest emo is great (thinking of bands like American Football and Dashboard Confessional, although I would consider the latter more emo/punk). I have a few friends who are into math rock but I haven't delved too deep into it.

So, what about favourite videogames?
Top 5 are right there: Pokemon Black & White, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and Mario Kart 8, not necessarily in that order.

Which Final Fantasy and Zelda game would you say is the best/your favourite?
For Zelda: I would say that the most complete (best) games in the Zelda series are Breath of the Wild and Wind Waker, though my favorite is Twilight Princess, as mentioned above.

For Final Fantasy: I actually haven't gotten too far into this series, having only played a bit of 7.

if there was a new forum theme, what would you want in it?
We had a skin on the old vBulliten forums called Beast of the Sea that had really nice light colors and featured Lugia. I miss that one, partially because of nostalgia because I believe it was the default skin when I first joined the forums.

I know that there's a The War Room Awards.
But have you guys and gals ever thought about hosting an awards ceremony for the rest of the forums?
(If there is one, then disregard this question. It's hard to find such a thread when the search options seem to have disappeared.)

Back
Top Bottom