• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

nintendo, sony, or microsoft? (or pc, i guess)
(also, thanks for taking the time to respond to these questions!)
Originally Sega as my first consoles were theirs starting with the Mega Drive but mostly Nintendo now, have consoles from all three though the latest Sony and Microsoft consoles I have are the PS4 and 360.
XDegcS2.jpg

what made you want to become moderators?
Unquenchable thirst for power. It's going decently.

Also, I wanted a lockdown hobby that would keep me engaged, and Pokémon's been holding my interest very well in recent years.

i'm like you! i like sega the most, but nintendo by default has become my favorite because of pokemon and their portable systems.
i like sony as well, my family has a ps2, ps3 (grew up on those), and a ps4 (that i don't use much, my family luckily uses it a lot).
i also own a ps vita.
i like hackable portable consoles, really. so switch and ps vita are my two favorites.
that's awesome that you have such a big collection as well!!!! nice!!
Nice, Pokemon was what brought me to Nintendo consoles too :)
The Playstation consoles are all greats too, also a fan of the Vita (y)
Thanks, I've kind of been accumulating and collecting consoles since I fist got the Mega Drive when I was a kid as I kept the old systems instead of selling them when I got newer ones. I'm kind of lucky I got some of the systems back then as they're getting more expensive and harder to find now.

Initially, I didn't really seek to apply. I was asked to become Bulbapedia staff (Bulbapedia generally does not have staff drives), and then months later a Bulbagarden staff member motivated me to apply for the forums. I was like 'Why not?' :wynaut: and the rest is history. I just gradually grew into it. What motivated me to remain here as a moderator all these years is that I wanted to make the Anime & Manga section - and later the forums as a whole - a nice place for everyone (not that they weren't already, but I just wanted to contribute to keeping that atmosphere).
Nintendo, definitely. I've owned several Nintendo consoles. I've never owned a PlayStation. I do have an Xbox (the first Xbox) with a crapton of games, but I really need to play on it more. I don't have anything against Sony or Microsoft, but Nintendo just has the games that appeal to me the most, I suppose.

Catching up on some of the ones I've missed

I'm sorry if any of you have answered this before, but who's your favorite Gym Leader/Elite Four Member/Champion/Protagonist/Battle Person/Villain/other human character and why?
Erika. I've just always liked her aesthetic.

also, will applications for moderator be open anytime soon-ish?
We've decided to push the staff drive back to January, since realistically we're not going to have enough time for proper staff training in the middle of the BDSP launch and holiday event planning

Back on the original Bulbagarden, I started as a news corrospondent, rather than a moderator. I was asked to be a mod because I was at that point a very prominent and frequent poster in anime and shipping forums, and I accepted simply because I thought it'd be a good way to help give that shipping community a bit more legitimacy, and to make sure that the person overseeing it was someone who understood it (since what the shippers of the time might have seen as merely heated discussion was often perceived by outside groups as full on flame wars).

also, do you like ranch on pizza? (i get mine with ranch instead of pizza sauce, then i put lots of jalapenos on)
No.

Nintendo, followed by PC. While my favourite franchises are all Nintendo, there's a number of game types that I enjoy that aren't really suited all that well to a console format. e.g. 4X, Grand Strategy, City Builders.
I've never owned a Sony or Microsoft console.

Back on the original Bulbagarden, I started as a news corrospondent, rather than a moderator. I was asked to be a mod because I was at that point a very prominent and frequent poster in anime and shipping forums, and I accepted simply because I thought it'd be a good way to help give that shipping community a bit more legitimacy, and to make sure that the person overseeing it was someone who understood it (since what the shippers of the time might have seen as merely heated discussion was often perceived by outside groups as full on flame wars).
Woah you're a shipper? And a veteran one????

Woah you're a shipper? And a veteran one????
I was one of the biggest shippers in the old days of the fandom, though I've not been involved in that side of the fandom for almost 15 years now. I was the original archivist of (In)Complete List, though it's certainly grown a lot since I handed over the reins to that (I think we only had a few hundred items on the list, back then?). I was also one of the people who signed the Pact of Pallet back in the day, though I'm not sure how much that'd mean to you.

seconded. do you have a favorite ship?
PokéShipping.

No idea what that is, but I'm interested. I'm a big shipper, and I find fandom history to be fascinating.
It was a formal peace treaty between the biggest groups of PokéShippers (Official PokéShippers) and the PalletShippers (PalletShippers International) that brought an end to many years of flame wars, and set out formal rules about how debates would be permitted and conducted in order to keep the peace. I was one of the signatories as the leader of OPS.

It was a formal peace treaty between the biggest groups of PokéShippers (Official PokéShippers) and the PalletShippers (PalletShippers International) that brought an end to many years of flame wars, and set out formal rules about how debates would be permitted and conducted in order to keep the peace. I was one of the signatories as the leader of OPS.
Gosh, shipping peace treaties sound like such a good idea. I don't really know how centralized shipping communities are nowadays since I mostly keep to myself, but I would definitely love to see more shipping peace treaties.

What’s your (your plural) favorite color?
It varies depending on the day, but it's generally some shade of red or blue, often somewhat less saturated.
also, do you like ranch on pizza? (i get mine with ranch instead of pizza sauce, then i put lots of jalapenos on)
Honestly I'm not really sure what thought process I went into it with, it was that long ago. I think I mostly just wanted to help out the place where I was having such a great time, so I just applied, and people liked my application for here we are.

Honestly I don't think I've ever heard of ranch on pizza... Actually I don't think I've ever actually tried ranch.
(also, thanks for taking the time to respond to these questions!)
Nintendo and Sony. The Playstation and XBox libraries are too similar to justify buying more than one, and when they do exclusives, Sony's tend to appeal to me more. Nintendo of course are the kings of exclusives with a good selection. I don't really bother with PC gaming. Some games are definitely more enjoyable with a keyboard and mouse setup, but overall PC just adds up to a less enjoyable experience imo.

Which are you getting: Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl? Or are you not getting them and waiting until Arceus (which is what I'll be waiting for)?
Going for Shining Pearl for the same reason as Wyndon, it being the version I had back then though I actually went for the opposite versions to what I had for the gen 1-3 remakes. Probably going to get Legends Arceus too.

I'm sorry if any of you have answered this before, but who's your favorite Gym Leader/Elite Four Member/Champion/Protagonist/Battle Person/Villain/other human character and why?
lajsdhlfhaksdhfkadjhkl that's a lot so i'm gonna be BRIEF
Gym Leader: I like Crasher Wake. He's a cool guy.
Elite Four Member: Caitilin, probably.
Champion: Cynthia without a doubt is the best champion.
Protagonist: Can't say I like any of the playable protags more than the others, so I'll go with Barry instead.
Battle Person: I always label myself as a Punk Guy when I can get the chance.
Villain: Cyrus is a crazy man which makes me love him, but N is a better developed character/villain, so I'll give it to him instead.
Other Human Character: I think that the fact there is no lore surrounding the Shard Guy in DPPt is fascinating. Who is he? Why does he want Shards? What caused him to be this way? We may never know.

What requirements does a moderator need? What’s the resumé like? What about recommendations? Is it not like a job, rendering my comparisons to a job obsolete? (My only experience with jobs is filling out a Moe’s resumé for home economics. Weird stuff.)
Requirements: Be a member of the forums. Activity is encouraged as well, though not necessarily required. No resumé needed, nor recommendations. You'll have to answer an application which is basically just a series of scenarios, as well as some other basic questions. It's designed to be much more of a volunteer activity than a strict job, though there is a job description which includes more responsibilities as you climb the ladder.

What’s your (your plural) favorite color?
Orange!

do you like ranch on pizza?
No, but there is something to be said about dipping pizza crust in ranch.

Three things:
1. I love Pokemon
2. I love Bulbagarden
3. Many former Bulbagarden moderators were role models to me as I grew up, and I felt that I could take my experience learning from them as a regular user and expand upon that as a moderator. I'd say I was pretty successful, but that might just be my ego talking. You tell me.

Nintendo, of course! I can't play Pokemon on a PlayStation (natively)!

Which are you getting: Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl? Or are you not getting them and waiting until Arceus (which is what I'll be waiting for)?
Echoing my buddies above, I will be purchasing Pokemon: Shining Pearl for the Nintendo Switch on launch day, since Pearl was the version of the originals that I had back in the day. However, as much as I am excited to see what they've managed to do with the originals, I am FAR more excited for Pokemon Legends Arceus in January.

Neither, the games just don't appeal to me. I've played Platinum and they don't look that different all things considered. I am interested in getting Arceus when it comes out, though.

KFC, Pizza Hut or Wendys?
  • Even though Pizza Hut is in town, we go to a local place instead because the pizza's just way better.
  • Wendys here does not mean the same as it does where you are. Here Wendys is an ice cream place, though they also sell hot dogs. Still good, but not actually part of the question.
  • KFC, being the only place that does not get disqualified on a technicality, wins by default, even though I probably would have picked it anyway because chicken is just Very Good.
Favourite sport?
Full disclosure, I do not play or watch any of the sportsballs. I played soccer in, like, first grade though, so I guess I'll go with that?
Dogs or Cats?
Both are extremely good and do not deserve the rivalry people construct around them.
our favourite rival (Blue, Silver, Barry, etc)?
I love Hop. His character arc is good and he's a fun character to bump into. I really don't understand why people don't like him.

there's a laundry list of reasons that boil down to me wanting to help the community and making a difference. i worked my way up to deputy head of the forums a year ago, resigned (personal reasons), and now i've returned to help out and try and leave my mark once more. c:

Back
Top Bottom