• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

Are you looking forwards to anything in the future?
Most immediately, I am looking forward to the weekend.
Slightly longer term, I am looking forward toward the end of winter.
Even longer term, I am looking forward to the day when snow no longer exists.
Also, what's your favorite indie game you've played?
I think The Henry Stickmin Collection and West of Loathing would fall under this category. Both of those are excellent.

Personal question: Which main series Pokemon games (released after your first one) have you skipped and why?

LGP/E and BD/SP are the big ones. They both share one flaw - being unambitious 2.5D games released for the outrageous price of $60. But I might yet pick up BD/SP if it goes on sale (if I can ever get it for half the price-ish), but I never will LGP/E. LGP/E is completely unappealing to me and that goes beyond the price tag. I have no interest in playing such an umabitious remake of the a Gameboy game, and I feel like many of the first 151 Pokemon are shoved in my face in everything else, so I absolutely do not want to play a game with only Gen I Pokemon ever again.

If we're counting third versions, there is also: Emerald and Platinum. Emerald because me finding Ruby to be so disappointing most certainly did not lead me to wanting to get a third version. Platinum because while I liked Diamond, I just didn't see a reason to buy third versions anymore at that point.

Favorite type of cuisine (if that makes sense?)

Hm... I have such a limited amount of things I will eat, so understand that when I list these, it is by no means everything or even the majority, or even much of what I'm listing. lol

Mexican and Italian comes to mind. Or at least the "USAified" versions of them. (I know the common word is Americanized, but considering Mexico is a part of the Americas, that feels off lol)

Getting Pokemon Legends Arceus with my first paycheck from my new job. =D

I don't think I've ever played an Indie game.

Yes, finally getting to play Legends: Arceus since my pre-order has been delayed by 5-days at this point o_O:confused:. It was supposed to be here on release date but there have been some delays with mail delivery I think and I still haven't received it :cry:
Haven't played any.... I don't think.

Not sure, my birthday's coming up next week but I don't really look forward to it as much now I'm getting old. I'm kind of looking forward to when the new F1 season starts in about a month's time though as I'll be able to watch it again.

I don't think I've played any indie games.

Not particularly. Things are just kinda happening as they go at the moment.
I'm gonna be super basic and say Hades because Hades is a fucking phenomenal game and you should play it. Yes, person reading this post, you specifically should go purchase Hades by Supergiant on the platform of your choice and then play it.

Favorite type of cuisine (if that makes sense?)
French. It's mostly very typical, standard European ingredients prepared with just a bit more finesse relative to English fare (though you'd struggle to get a sheet of paper between the two when it comes to certain dishes - one of the best French restaurant chains in the UK is famous for their English breakfasts).
It's strange to think of it as an indie game considering how monolithic it's become, but Undertale. It's impeccable.

What got you into Pokemon? Kind of a big question, but, yeah, that's it!!
I received a Game Boy Pocket and a few cartridges for Chanukah one year. One of those cartridges was Pokemon Red.

After that, I started seeing the anime and collecting the trading cards. There were a couple of comic book shops close to where I lived, and I would go and buy some of the early decks.

One of my favorite memories from that era was going to a nearby comic shop with my grandmother. She bought me an original series booster pack, and, when I opened that pack, it had a first edition, holographic Charizard.

If I had actually put that card in a sleeve and preserved it, it would be worth a lot of money right about now, but I did not, and, even if I had, I'd never sell that card. It has too much sentimental value to me.
I've still got it in a makeshift deck I made using early series cards. The deck aces are Charizard and the original series Gyarados. I called the deck "Hot Water."

...yes, I am aware that deck name is lame. Shush.

The Pokémon anime, more specifically the original series, when I was 5 or 6. And then Pokémon became extremely popular of course and pretty much everyone I knew at elementary school was into it. I started collecting the cards and trading them with other children during recess. At one point I even had a (female) teacher who joined in trading cards :D I didn't get into the games until much later though (late Gen 3/start of Gen 4) due to my parents not being big on game consoles at first.

The pokemon anime, back when the Indigo League episodes were airing on TV here, I didn't really get into pokemon straight away but kind of started to follow it more after a few weeks, I also remember going to see the first movie in the cinema back then.

The anime then led me into the games but it was a fair while before I got my first game as up until that point I didn't have a Gameboy or any other Nintendo console so it wasn't until I got this combo that I started playing the games :)
DSC04567.jpg

Last edited:
Pokemon VHS tapes from the local Blockbuster. I'd watch some scattered episodes from all over the original series, as well as the first few movies, even getting myself a copy of the first movie that I'd watch over and over. I'd been aware that the show was based on a series of games for a while, but I'd never had a system I could play them on until I got a DS for Christmas one year. I was originally going to get Diamond, but by the time I'd saved up enough money to buy a Pokemon game (those things are expensive for a kid) both it and Pearl were sold out at the only games store that I only rarely got to go to. By the next time I got to go, the only game in stock was Platinum, so that's what I got.

what's the best way to get people to actually play my games in the fun and games category
People will play games that they’re interested in. Definitionally, this means some games will succeed more than other games.
The best way to have a more “successful” thread would be to create a lot of threads with new and unique games in the section.

Also, you never know. Sometimes, goobers like me get bored and go post in a lot of F&G threads just for the heck of it, which can revive previously inactive threads.

The important takeaway point here is that, by creating unique game threads, you are contributing positively to the community regardless of whether or not they instantly become super-active.

I started out as a moderator in the F&G and War Room sections, and ended up being the guy in charge of those sections for a while.

Well, way back in the summer of 1999, my family and I went camping (ew) and for some reason my family interacted with another family camping there, and their son made this big deal about Pokemon and the Pokemon Red/Blue games. I had a Gameboy, but I had yet to find a game that I actually enjoyed on it, so I suppose I took that as a sign that I needed to try about this Pokemon thing.

Favorite holiday?

Christmas, because winter solstice. When I was younger I really looked forward to the day itself, but as an adult, I like the season. Late November to December. The weather is nice (usually, but this last year it was too warm.), it's the furthest point from Spring, and the decorations are really fun. During the season, I have no less than 4-5 trees up in my room (of varying sizes, of course. lol).

Toss up between Yoku's Island Express and A Short Hike. Indie games have a way of creating incredibly calm and serene experiences without putting any pressure on the player for any reason at all - you're just in it to have a good time, and these are two examples of that.

The TCG, actually. It was a big thing back in second grade to collect cards and I ended up with quite a few myself. Only later did I realize that there were actual games to play in the series as well. I had a GBA at the time so my first game was Pokemon FireRed.

Back
Top Bottom