• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Staff AMA Thread

Which of y'all is the best at Smash?
Does anyone main a Pokemon?
Any Dedede mains among the staff?
a) I don't know, but I know it isn't me, even though I do play a lot.
b) Not really. My mains are Lucas, Bowser and to deal with annoying spirits, Kazuya.
c) Haven't played with anyone here, sadly, so I wouldn't know.

I main Dedede. I don't claim to be particularly good but HRH is unorthodox enough to keep people on their toes, even if he is just a sentient hitbox.

Uhhh so should we try for a staff tourney sometime!? We could stream it on the Bulba YT or Twitch ww
A Staff monotype tourney is certainly something I'd be up for. I'm ok at those.

Oh yeah for other staff members: favorite Gym puzzle?
Vermilion Gym, that one's actually my least favourite :D

Think my favourite is the Humilau Gym Puzzle, riding the Lilypads from platform to platform was a fun puzzle and think it has the best layout and design of the water type gyms :)

Last edited:
Mwahaha my Gym Leader knowledge can be put to good use :sneaky:

I like Gyms that offer some kind of visual experience/activity, so I've always enjoyed the Nimbasa Gym (in BW) and the Shalour Gym. The former being a collection of rollercoaster rides and the latter being a giant rollerskate park. Neither were especially challenging (to be honest, no Gym puzzle really is) but they were fun from an aestethic standpoint.

I also like the Sootopolis Gym, since I've always liked those kind of tile puzzles. I have to admit I always let myself fall down on purpose though in my playthroughs, since I always make it a point to battle every Trainer in the game and the extra Exp. always came in handy.

I agree that Humilau City is another good one. I have to say that BW and B2W2 feature some of my favorite Gym designs. I like how Virbank Gym is literally just an underground music club. It's not a very pretty Gym and there's no Gym challenge present, but I love the detail they put into that one, it really feels like a grungy alternative rock club.

Wait a minute… so if you’re Random Punster, and Random Punster is also Random Punster… then who’s driving this bus???
...wait, you actually assumed there was somebody driving this bus? :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Volkner's Gym Puzzle. I love the rotating gears.
It would have been a far more fitting Gym Puzzle for a Steel type Gym based in a clock tower, though...

I'll be totally honest, most Gym "puzzles" don't really stick out in my mind. They're generally very thematic, but that also tends to leave them feeling very predictable and samey. "Oh boy, the Bug-Type Gym! Let's see what flavour of spider-web this one uses". So the ones that stick out to me tend to be the ones that break out from the themes you would expect from their type. So things like the Nacrene Gym's book puzzles, Nimbasa's rollercoasters, Shalour's roller rink. Mostly you can get me impressed with your gym if you're surprisingly off-brand. Opal in SwSh was also really good. The quiz questions before the battle were very standard and uninspired, but she brought it back by mixing the puzzle into her battle, and in such a way as to play with your expectations and trick you into wrong answers more often than not. Just a real good mix-up to the gym battle formula that nothing had ever done before.

I'll be totally honest, most Gym "puzzles" don't really stick out in my mind. They're generally very thematic, but that also tends to leave them feeling very predictable and samey. "Oh boy, the Bug-Type Gym! Let's see what flavour of spider-web this one uses". So the ones that stick out to me tend to be the ones that break out from the themes you would expect from their type. So things like the Nacrene Gym's book puzzles, Nimbasa's rollercoasters, Shalour's roller rink. Mostly you can get me impressed with your gym if you're surprisingly off-brand. Opal in SwSh was also really good. The quiz questions before the battle were very standard and uninspired, but she brought it back by mixing the puzzle into her battle, and in such a way as to play with your expectations and trick you into wrong answers more often than not. Just a real good mix-up to the gym battle formula that nothing had ever done before.
I do love that Opal's schtick is just to not play fair. Not only does it lean more into that darker/mischievous Fairy theme, but it also reminds me of those nonsensical Agatha Christie endings, which I think Opal is meant to remind us of a little with her mystery plays.

I already reside in the real-world equivalent of Castelia City, so that would be a safe pick with very little adjustment needed. There's lots of stuff to do there, I like how it looks aesthetically, and also, I really wanna try a Casteliacone.

Other than that though, I think I'd like to live in Viridian City. It's on the smaller/quieter side and is surrounded by other places in Kanto that I would want to visit. (y)

Slateport City in Hoenn is probably the closest counterpart to my real-world home; like Orchid I'd be happy living somewhere that I'm familiar with, and there's a lot to love about Slateport - waking up and visiting the market stalls, wandering down to the beach, exploring the museum, entering contests... I'd definitely never be bored.

That being said, I'd also happily live somewhere a little further into the countryside, surrounded by nature... so Floaroma Town or Goldenrod (since it's situated between the National Park and Ilex Forest) would both be potential choices. Plus, like Slateport, there's a lot for one to explore in a big city like Goldenrod.

Lumiose City, most stuff would not be too far away and I could probably live in the area or right outside the city with my Pokémon.
Olivine City is a close second just because it is a small and cozy looking place with ease of access to travel to other regions from there.

Back
Top Bottom