• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Sun & Moon Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Sun & Moon to be given ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
for Q:5 is it the mascot Pokémon from x&y or or&as or both and someone could show me in the right direction I would be gratefully pleased :):):):)

Last edited:
I still do not understand question 5. What do you mean by "mascot pokemon?" Do you mean the starters? or the legendaries? Are you talking about the starters in Sun & Moon? or the legendaries in Sun & Moon? Also, what do you mean by "this website?" Do you mean the Bulbapedia as a whole? or a specific page of Bulbapedia? I also do not know what you mean by "moves with effects." Doesn't every move have an effect? Even if the only effect is just pure damage? You really need to reword the question to make it more understandable. The question as it stands now is impossible to answer (at least for me). In other words, the answer to that question is "none" if I understand the question as it is written.

Most of my questions could be answered by common sense. However, I have Asperger Syndrome in which one of the conditions is a complete lack of common sense.

Will we receive an email informing us that our answers were correct and are therefore in the running? Depending on the number of entries, that may just be a huge hassle; but I would really like to know. (I'm a worrier.)

I don't mean to doubt the contest, but something really worries me, especially since this is my first time doing something like this. With the hype for Sun and Moon going through the roof, who is to say someone wouldn't attempt to submit the same correct answers using different emails? Maybe you guys would be able to check the IPs of all the contestants, but I just want to know.

For question 5, does it have to be an actual thing that involves the move ingame such as Weather Ball or does it include things that require deeper thinking? For example Surf shows a large wave and waves are created due to the gravitational force of the moon. (I know Surf is definitely not a correct answer)

@YakisobaDayo, your answer will be in the opening post.

I still do not understand question 5. What do you mean by "mascot pokemon?" Do you mean the starters? or the legendaries? Are you talking about the starters in Sun & Moon? or the legendaries in Sun & Moon? Also, what do you mean by "this website?" Do you mean the Bulbapedia as a whole? or a specific page of Bulbapedia? I also do not know what you mean by "moves with effects." Doesn't every move have an effect? Even if the only effect is just pure damage? You really need to reword the question to make it more understandable. The question as it stands now is impossible to answer (at least for me). In other words, the answer to that question is "none" if I understand the question as it is written.
Instead of breaking the sentence down to the point of incomprehensibility, please try reading it as a single whole. The question is quite straightforward, as evidenced by the number of responses we've already had which either a) got it right, or b) got it wrong, but were clearly on the right track and probably just got careless.

ok so you mean the mascot Pokémon for bulbapedia:confused:
Is this website named "Bulbapedia"? You might want to look back up at your URL bar...

I don't mean to doubt the contest, but something really worries me, especially since this is my first time doing something like this. With the hype for Sun and Moon going through the roof, who is to say someone wouldn't attempt to submit the same correct answers using different emails? Maybe you guys would be able to check the IPs of all the contestants, but I just want to know.
We have means, but I can't elaborate on them. Where it's happened in the past, it's typically been less than 0.1% of entrants. I also don't think we've ever had someone who tried this in our past trivia contests who actually got a perfect score either, so they wouldn't have been in the running to begin with.

Sorry, but this simply isn't possible. For starters, it would risk giving the answers away! We will however post all the correct answers after this contest is over.

Hadn't thought of that. And you said you'd inform winners well before release date, so waiting to buy it until I'm sure I've lost won't be an issue... Like I said, I'm a WORRIER.

Poor Question No. 5...

Last edited:
For question #5, let's say I get all of the answers on your list of correct moves, but also include other moves that you hadn't thought of. If I provide a proper justification for those moves (including links to appropriate Bulbapedia pages), will I still get credit for the answer? I presume you don't want people just dumping the entire learnset of the Pokémon in question to avoid thinking about it, but I'm overthinking some of the moves a little, and worried that either including them or leaving them out might be the wrong choice.

The question as it stands now is impossible to answer (at least for me). In other words, the answer to that question is "none" if I understand the question as it is written.

Most of my questions could be answered by common sense. However, I have Asperger Syndrome in which one of the conditions is a complete lack of common sense.

I have Asperger's too (albeit to a less severe degree than you seem to), so I can empathise with that. Here's an attempt to help you out. (I should clarify that I'm not involved with the running of this contest, so it's possible that my post is inaccurate, although I'm almost certain that it's not.)

What do you mean by "mascot pokemon?" Do you mean the starters? or the legendaries? Are you talking about the starters in Sun & Moon? or the legendaries in Sun & Moon?
"Mascot" is the Pokémon's relation to "this website". In other words, this website has a mascot which is a Pokémon.

Also, what do you mean by "this website?" Do you mean the Bulbapedia as a whole? or a specific page of Bulbapedia?
"This website" refers to the website on which the question is being asked. It's ambiguous whether this means Bulbanews (bulbanews.bulbagarden.net) or Bulbagarden (bulbagarden.net), but from context (e.g. the title), it's presumably intended to mean Bulbagarden.

I also do not know what you mean by "moves with effects." Doesn't every move have an effect? Even if the only effect is just pure damage?
The object of the clause "relating to the Sun and/or Moon" is intended to be "effects", not "moves with effects". The question is asking for a list of moves whose effects relate to the Sun and/or Moon.

You really need to reword the question to make it more understandable.
Here's an attempt at doing that:

"Bulbagarden's mascot is a Pokémon. That Pokémon can legitimately learn several moves in the Generation VI core series of games. Which of these moves have effects relating to the Sun and/or Moon?"

In any case, I have a query of my own about Question 5:

If a move's effect is not usually sun- or moon-related, but it combines with an Ability in a way that is sun- or moon-related, would this be considered an effect of the move (in which case it should be listed in the answer) or an effect of the Ability (in which case it shouldn't be listed in the answer)?

Sent my answers, there's no going back now.

Can I assume the correct and/or accepted answers will be given publicly in this thread the moment the answers cease being accepted?

I think a lot of people are overthinking question 5. I just went for simple, slightly obvious, answers. Whether other people are overthinking the question or I'm underthinking it (I probably am :confused:), I wish everyone luck.

I'm still unsure about what question 5 specifically asks for. It's very vague in my opinion because the word "effects" could include ingame effects, visual effects, effects that occur if a condition is met...? Could you please specify what kind of effects we're supposed to look for? I have no idea whether I'm overthinking or underthinking this

Just joined this contest and submitted my answers as per mail. Good luck to everyone else participating!(y):)

For question #5, let's say I get all of the answers on your list of correct moves, but also include other moves that you hadn't thought of. If I provide a proper justification for those moves (including links to appropriate Bulbapedia pages), will I still get credit for the answer? I presume you don't want people just dumping the entire learnset of the Pokémon in question to avoid thinking about it, but I'm overthinking some of the moves a little, and worried that either including them or leaving them out might be the wrong choice.
Long story short... no. If it's not a correct answer, it's not a correct answer. In the event that the judges decide there's an edge case that's ambiguous, our policy is to allow people to include those without penalty so long as they're properly justified. If they're included without the justification, no dice.
Having said that... if you think you're overthinking them, you probably are. You almost certainly are.

In any case, I have a query of my own about Question 5:

If a move's effect is not usually sun- or moon-related, but it combines with an Ability in a way that is sun- or moon-related, would this be considered an effect of the move (in which case it should be listed in the answer) or an effect of the Ability (in which case it shouldn't be listed in the answer)?
I believe this is covered by the response to Neal Cruco's question regarding moves with variable effects. You might need to give a more specific example.

Last edited:
Oh, hey! A bulbagarden contest! I certainly wasn't expecting this. Looks like Christmas came early, huh? :D
Although... these questions seem easier than any of the trivia questions... Well, I'm not complaining! Hopefully, this shouldn't take too long to answer.

Good luck, everyone!

Hello, I absolutely love bulbapedia. keep up the great work.
this is my first time on an internet forum, so please forgive me if i make a mistake.
but for the time being i have a question about a couple of things. my first question is about question five. does question 5 require more than one answer?
as for my second question, on the bulbanews report about the contest, it goes over some of the FAQ about the contest and one of the questions was this "I think one of the questions might have multiple valid answers? is that a problem?" where the reply is "If a question did have multiple valid answers, so long as you give one of the valid answers, you're fine. but none of these questions should have multiple valid answers." my problem with this reply is it specifically states in question 1 that it requires two answers. can you please explain this?

thank you so much for your time.

Just to ask, is there a preferred or recommended format when sending in the answers outside of linking to the Bulbapedia articles? Mostly curious since if there is a format, then I would not mind using it if it makes it easier on the staff.

For Question 5, does a move count if it can call another move with effects related to the Sun or Moon and Bulbasaur can learn it count, does the called move count and this is an important question, SINCE THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS. I'm just not using names because everyone should find the answers themselves. Also, do field moves affected by the presence of weather for only their field effect count? Again, Bulbasaur actually learns such a move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom