• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Sun & Moon Launch Competition: 10 Copies of Pokémon Sun & Moon to be given ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, looks like I will be Pokemon Sun-less for the time being. Hopefully, I can still get my adorable little Munchlax through some other means before January. But enough about me! A big congratulations to everyone who did win! I'd also like to thank Bulbagarden for giving poor saps (me) a chance. After all, ten copies certainly costs a pretty penny and I appreciate their kind actions. (y)

Well, farewell everyone! I'll be back when another opportunity for free stuff arises. :D

Yes, congratulations to the winners, and thanks to the staff for putting up with all our pestering questions.

Hi, this is my first post here. I joined the contest last week. Am just wondering, where can I find the promised answers to the questions? I just wanted to know if I answered correctly, obviously I did not win here as I haven't received any email from Bulbagarden lately. Thanks a lot!

I never got the confirmation, and Gmail is not on the list of problem email providers. I know, I should have mentioned that sooner, but...

Any update yet? I'm pretty sure I'm not the final winner you were waiting for, since I only got an entry confirmation and no other email from Bulbagarden, but I'm still anxious to find out if my answers were at least correct.

Sorry about the delay in address reply, this week's been really busy, so I completely forgot until I checked my email today >_< (19th)
sent off my address confirmation email several hours ago, now waiting

Last edited:
Aww man, I didn't win, looks like it's hard to win. Free stuff especially.

Can you check your spam and junk mail boxes @Piki? Gmail does receive our emails, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

Now that @Hinageshi has gotten in touch with us (and your prize will be in the mail shortly), we'll be putting the list of winners plus the answers up tomorrow.
Where did you post the answers? I can't find them anywhere.

Hello there, I'm one of the winners of this competition! I just got my Pokémon Moon version, which actually arrived here before the Pokémon Sun version that I pre-ordered ages ago. haha

I just wanted to say my most sincere thank you to all the staff here at Bulbagarden. You guys didn't just made my day or week, you made my whole year!

Thank you very much!

Sorry for the delay on posting this. As you can imagine, the last week has been very busy for us.

First off, congratulations to our ten contest winners!
  1. Danilo C., Italy
  2. Evan B., Virginia, USA
  3. Felipe M., Brazil
  4. Guillermo S., Chile
  5. "Hinageshi", Japan
  6. Johnny N., Texas, USA
  7. Luke C, UK
  8. Matt A., Wisconsin, USA
  9. Steven H.N., Denmark
  10. Taufik W., Indonesia
By now, you should all have your prizes (with the possible exception of Felipe M. in Brazil). If not...well, I expect those without Bulba forums accounts would be sending me angry emails right about now. ^^;;

The correct answers to the questions were as follows.
1. What locations do Cresselia and Darkrai make their homes in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, respectively?
The correct answer was Fullmoon Island (Cresselia) and Newmoon Island (Darkrai).

Cresselia and Darkrai were both linked in the question, so this should've been very easy. The correct answer is right at the top of the Lunar Duo page which talks about them both. A common error here was to state that Cresselia didn't have a home (since you catch it when it's roaming around Sinnoh), but the Pokémon's home (where you first meet it before it starts roaming) is clearly Fullmoon.

2. How do you evolve Eevee into Umbreon and Espeon in Pokémon XD?
The correct answer was the Sun and Moon Shards.
Again, this question should've been very easy. Eevee was linked in the question, and the evolution method in XD is listed right at the top of Eevee's page.

3. Which Pokemon does Tate own in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?
The correct answer was Solrock.

This one should again have been quite easy. While Tate was not expressly linked in the question, your first instinct should've been to search for Tate on Bulbapedia, from which multiple pages would lead you to the correct answer.
A few entrants argued that they felt it wasn't clear which of Solrock or Lunatone belonged to Tate and which to Liza. Tate has always been assigned Solrock in *every* medium, so that part of the question could be considered a minor misdirection. The Bulbapedia article on "Tate's Solrock" expressly gives this to Tate, and there's a corresponding page for Liza's Lunatone. Both of these pages are clearly linked on the page for Tate and Liza.

4. Miska Saari became a Pokémon TCG World Champion in 2006 using a deck by what name?
The correct answer was Suns & Moons.

Again, while Miska Saari wasn't expressly linked in the question, your first instinct should've been to go to Bulbapedia and search for the name. The first result that comes up when you search is the deck. The correct answer is also listed in the first sentence of Miska Saari's individual article.
A few entrants answered "LunaRock", which is the name of the archetype of deck that Miska Saari's deck was built from, rather than the name of this specific deck.

5. What moves with effects relating to the Sun and/or Moon can be legitimately learnt by the mascot Pokémon of this website in the Generation VI core series games?
The correct answer for this question was Growth, Synthesis, Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Nature Power.

To break this question down....
"moves with effects relating to the Sun and/or Moon"
The move should have an effect which has a clear and unambiguous link to the Sun and/or Moon. This must be something to do with an effect of the move. While it could involve an effect of something else on the move, it cannot solely be an effect of something else on the move. Or in other words....Fire-type attacks do get a damage boost under Sunny Day, but that's an effect of Sunny Day on the move. The Fire-type attack would have to have at least some kind of vague Sun theming or linkage on its own for that to count.
We had some people interpret this clause far more broadly than intended. For instance, a number of people tried to relate anything linked to sleep (e.g. Rest, Sleep Powder) to nighttime (and by extension the moon), or anything connected to nature and/or plant life (e.g. Ingrain, Leaf Storm) to the sun (while photosynthesis is a valid connection to the sun, just being connected to plant life isn't enough there). Unless there was an in-game connection though (like with Growth and Nature Power), this simply wasn't sufficient.

"can be legitimately learnt by"
This move should be something learnt. That is, it should be in the Pokémon's Learnset. They must be learned by level up, by TM/HM, by breeding, by tutoring, or by events.
The purpose of this clause was to steer you all away from looking for things like glitches. We've been known to use glitches a lot in previous trivia contests, and we wanted to make it pretty unambiguous that's not what we were going for.
A few people seemed to worry about what really counted as "learning". Specifically in relation to breeding and events. While we would've counted any move that fit the criteria that was learnt by breeding or events.... there's not actually any moves (in Gen VI) fitting the criteria that are learnt by breeding or events in the first place. So if you got all worked up about those, you kind of played yourself.

"the mascot Pokémon of this website"
This is of course Bulbasaur. If you got that wrong, you probably didn't read the question very carefully.

"in the Generation VI core series games"
This limits the moves to only those legitimately learnt by Bulbasaur in X, Y, OR and AS. This was done so that people wouldn't have to tab through multiple learnsets for different generations, so that you'd only have to worry about those moves which would normally show (or at least, will normally show until the Gen VII learnsets are put up) on the Bulbapedia page for Bulbasaur without you doing any additional clicking.

So, why these five moves?

Growth:

Learnt by Bulbasaur in Generation VI at Level 25. The effect of Growth is themed around the concept of plant growth. This on its own would not be enough, but being enhanced by sunlight is enough to provide the linkage. The effect of Sunny Day improving the move's existing effects makes this is a case of involve an effect of something else on the move, without it being

Synthesis:
Learnt by Bulbasaur in Generation VI at Level 33, or via tutoring. The effect of Synthesis is themed around the concept of photosynthesis, and the effects of the move are directly linked to the strength of the sunlight available.

Sunny Day:

Learnt by Bulbasaur in Generation VI via TM 11. Why this one counts should be self-evident.

Solar Beam:
Learnt by Bulbasaur in Generation VI via TM 22. The word "Solar" is right there in the name, the Sun theming on this one is pretty blatant. Sunny Day's effects in removing the need to charge the move only serve to further solidify the theme.

Nature Power:

Learnt by Bulbasaur in Generation VI via TM 96. Nature Power has a natural effect of calling different kinds of moves. In Misty Terrain, the move it calls is Moonblast, which is explicitly Moon themed.

(was asking questions hoping someone else might get paranoid and play themself)
(also weather ball was an event move in past gens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom