1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We've overhauled the Bulbagarden forum rules. You should read the new set here !
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Bulbagarden is currently running a site-wide staff drive! Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

FAQ: Bulbagarden's Eighth Annual Christmas Contests

Discussion in 'Bulbagarden Christmas Event Forum' started by Archaic, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    The holiday season is once again upon us, and here at Bulbagarden we're revving up to launch our eighth annual Christmas Contests.

This year, we have a total of five different contests for you to take part in. As a special grand prize this year, one lucky winner of the 12 Days of Trivia will be walking away with a pre-order of the Nintendo Switch! Our contests winners will be receiving 3DS Pokémon titles of the winner's choice, or other Pokémon related prizes of a similar value for those who've already got all the games they need. As always, our Christmas Contests are open to entries from anywhere in the world.

This year's contests are...
    • 12 Days of Christmas Trivia: 12 days of tricky trivia to test your knowledge of the Pokémon franchise (or at the very least, your ability to search for things on Bulbapedia)
    • Rapidash Trivia: A battle of wits and speed as you test your knowledge of the Pokémon franchise in a real time contest where only the fastest will win!
    • Alolan Winter's Path - Holiday Scavenger Hunt: The Bulbagarden scavenger hunt returns for another year. A trail of riddles will lead you on a journey through all of Bulbagarden.
    • Holiday Trainer's Tales: Budding writers can sink their pens into this set of 3 holiday themed short writing challenges. Don't worry if you're not that eloquent, this contest is about your ideas and not just your prose.
    • Holiday Arts, Crafts and Creations: Artists, we've got 3 holiday themed challenges for you to pour some holiday spirit into. Have trouble coloring between the lines? Not a problem, this contest tests your creative flair and not just your steady hand.
    Holiday Trainer's Tales and Holiday Arts, Crafts and Creations will start as soon as the relevant threads are posted (which should be later today). Alolan Winter's Path will begin later this week. The 12 Days of Christmas Trivia will start from December 12th, while the Rapidash Trivia will run over the weekend of December 17th and 18th.

In addition to our contests, we will also be conducting a special 12 Days of Wonder Trade on the @BulbaTrade Twitter channel, starting on December 12th. More details will be posted about this event later this week.

Any questions about specific contests should be directed to the respective Bulbagarden Forums threads. More general questions can be asked here in this thread.

Best of luck to everyone. May the best Pokéfan win.

Happy holidays, everyone!

==FAQ==
    * I have a question...

Read this FAQ first before you ask me anything. It's probably already been answered. If it hasn't been, then go ahead and ask it. Please note that I will NOT respond to questions via PM however. If you do have them, you MUST post them in this thread.

* Who can enter the contest?
    Anyone in the world can enter, though we will only accept 1 entry per person. If you're under 18, please get your parent or guardian's permission before entering.

* Can I enter more than one Bulbagarden Contest?
    Yes, though you may only make one entry per contest.

* Can I win in more than one Bulbagarden Contest?
    Yes and no. In some past years, we've limited people to one prize in the Christmas Contests regardless of how many contests they entered. This year, the only restriction is that you can't win more than one prize in the Rapidash Trivia. You'll need to be both skilled and lucky to pick up more than one prize though!

* I have a Brother / Sister / Parent / Cousin / Spouse / Other Relative / Roommate who wants to enter as well, can they?
    If you've both already registered on the Bulbagarden Forums prior to this competition, and made sure that the staff know that you're related, then it's not a problem. We did have a pair of siblings who won in our holiday competitions in the past. If you're only registering after this contest is announced however, please restrict yourself to one entry per contest per household. Otherwise it just gets to be a pain for everyone for us to try and confirm your identities.

* I can't remember if I entered a contest. Can you give me some confirmation to let me know you got my entry?
    You'll easily be able to double-check that for yourself! The format we're using for entries this year is for you to create a post in special sub-forums to this one (which will be opened once the relevant contests are opened for entries). Threads posted in these sub-forums will be visible to the person who posted it and the contest judges only, so there's no chance of others peeping on your entries.

* I live in (insert country here). If I win, are you able to send me a console/game for my region?
    Yes. We will order your prize from a retailer who ships to your region. If for some reason we aren't able to arrange for the game to be shipped to you, we can make alternative arrangements with you.

* I live in (insert country here). If I win, are you able to send me a game for a different region (e.g. a Japanese 3DS game for someone outside Japan)?
    Yes, we can do that too, providing we can source a copy of the game from a retailer who'll ship it to you.

* How soon will my prize get to me if I win?
    Depends where in the world you are. If you're in North America, Western or Central Europe, Australia, New Zealand, or Japan, there probably won't be any issues and you should get your prize within a week or two after we've got everyone's details in (unless Amazon screws us over). If you're in another country, particularly one with a frustrating customs regime (Brazil, I'm looking at you!), we might need to make alternative arrangements with you, and things might take a bit longer than normal.

* When will winners be informed?
    The formal announcement of winners will be made over the week of January 1st. Some contests may informally announce winners before this time.

* How long will winners have to claim the prize?
    We'll give you a month to respond. We're aware things can happen, and we don't want to disadvantage anyone. At the same time though, we don't want to delay everyone because of one individual. Worst case scenario, we end up sending out the prizes in several waves as we get people's details in. Of course, if you won the Switch Pre-order, you really need to get back to us ASAP if you want to make sure stores don't sell out of those before we can get it in.

2. Jatayu09

Jatayu09 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Whoa, a Nintendo Switch pre-order... :eek::eek::eek:
    If that's not motivaton, then I don't know what is.

Looking forward to the trivia and scavenger hunts as per usual and maybe, just maybe, I'll try my hand at the Art Contest.
    Best of luck to everyone!

3. Wowy

Wowy Bulbapedia contributor

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I can't wait getting myself into some of these!

4. Lone_Garurumon

Lone_Garurumon He's got, hiiii-iiigh hopes

Blog Posts:
    Ah, nostalgia. Last year's competitions are the thing that got me this account on the forums. I can't believe it's been a whole year already.
    Welp, let's see if I can nab me that sweet juicy Switch... And the writing challenge too... Hopefully I'll be able to get past riddle 2 on the scavenger hunt this year too...

5. Enzap

Enzap Love Them Plant Puppies

Blog Posts:
    ANNOUNCEMENT:

Looking for more generic holiday/Winter themed fun? Join us at The War Room for a our Holiday Mafia game!

Take part in the seasonal struggle between good and evil as you try to guess who you can trust and who is trying to steal all of the holiday cheer from the forums. This game is beginner friendly, so even if you've never played mafia before you're welcome to sign up! This will be a good game to start off with if you've been considering a career as a mafioso.

Note that this event is not directly affiliated with the Christmas Contests, so there are no prizes attached to winning this game. If you have any questions, feel free to contact any of the War Room moderators, @Zexy, @Maniacal Engineer, @TheCapsFan, or me!

6. Mijzelffan

Mijzelffan memes

Blog Posts:
    Ooh rapidash trivia, time to brush up on my knowledge of which gym leaders hand out which number tm's :p

leaf-green, Jatayu09 and Laspandrea like this.
  7. Necrozma

Necrozma Formerly known as Tsu

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking forward to the scavenger hunt. I never manage to get past first two-three riddles, but it's fun nonetheless.

8. The Archive

The Archive New Member

Blog Posts:
    Good luck everyone! Hope the Rapidash Trivia is as fun as last year's!

9. Cooper Fitzgerald

Cooper Fitzgerald New Member

Blog Posts:
    What page does the hunt start on?

10. Kogoro

Kogoro Phantom Thief
    Chief of Staff

Blog Posts:
    The Scavenger Hunt has only just gone live now, you can check out its forum thread right here.

11. ewormPL

ewormPL Member

Blog Posts:
    Once the Contests close, we're allowed to discuss our answers here on the forums even before the official reveals, right? Or do we wait for them to be given by the staff?

12. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    You can discuss them immediately, yes.

13. LuNala

LuNala That Random Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm having trouble submitting my trivia answers. I go to the subforum and click the 'create new thread' button. There I see a space to type in a title and, below that, something to start a poll. I type my title in and press 'create' but it takes me an error page that states I have an invalid message. Problem is, I'm not seeing a place to type a message.:cry: What am I doing wrong?

I've never opened a new thread before. Thank you in advance for your help.

14. phidari

phidari Nevertheless, she persisted.

Blog Posts:
    Do you not see a big white text box below the spot where you would type the title?

15. LuNala

LuNala That Random Member

Blog Posts:
    No, just an option to watch the thread. I'm also on my phone if that means anything (no computer).

@phidari, you must be magic or something because I just flipped over to the other tab to screenshot it and the darned the appeared!!! I'm gonna go try again, thanks for your response!

16. phidari

phidari Nevertheless, she persisted.

Blog Posts:
    When exactly will all the contest winners be announced? The post says "over the week of January 1st", but that week is almost over.

17. Bugdaze

Bugdaze New Member

Blog Posts:
    On the Scavenger Hunt thread, they said they intended it to be announced by tomorrow (The 7th.) Would quote them but I'm not really sure how to besides clicking the Quote button.

18. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    Final judging and the write up of the 12 Days answers is happening right now. We'll have the full results up in a few hours.

Neon Borealis likes this.
  19. Dark Terminator 2901

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if this counts as "Frequently Asked", but... Am I the only one confused that this forum is still up?