1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Bulbagarden's Ninth Annual Holiday Event - Winners and 12 Days Answers

Discussion in 'Bulbagarden Holiday Event 2017' started by abcboy, Jan 6, 2018.

Voter count: 19
?

Did you enjoy our Holiday Event?

Poll closed Yesterday at 4:09 AM.
  1. Yes!

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. Eh, they were okay I guess... (please reply and let us know how we can improve!)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. No. (please reply and let us know how we can improve!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. abcboy

abcboy Bulbapædist

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations to our winners! Winners will be contacted privately in the coming days.

Winners:
    12 Days of Christmas Trivia:
    (runner-up winners listed in the order they were drawn)

Rapidash Trivia:

Writing Holiday Contest:

Creative Holiday Challenge:

The Archive, Wild Jr. and Jatayu09 like this.
  2. abcboy

abcboy Bulbapædist

Blog Posts:
    12 Days Question Answers:

Question 1:
    The correct answer is Crystal from Pokémon Adventures.

This should have been fairly easy to find, as searching for "Mega" on Bulbapedia brings you to the Mega Evolution page. At the top of the page, it links right to Crystal's Meganium, which is known as "Megaree" in the VIZ Media translations and as "Mega" in the Chuang Yi translations. You could also go to the Meganium page on Bulbapedia, from which you can check each Meganium that has appeared in Pokémon Adventures.

Question 2:
    The correct answer is the Hyper Potion, healing 1 HP per [​IMG]12.5 spent.

This is stated on the Potion page right in the Trivia section. Careful readers should note that the question specifies Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon; prior to Generation VII, the normal Potion was instead the least cost-effective. Additionally, calculating using the current prices with the old healing amounts would instead show the Super Potion as the least cost-effective, which is also incorrect.

Question 3:
    The correct answer is the Brazilian Portuguese dub or the English dub. (either is acceptable)

Going to the In other languages section of the Solar Beam page gives a list of translations used for Solar Beam. Searching for each of these in turn yields a piece of trivia on the Hyper Beam page which notes "Raio Solar" was used in the Brazilian dub to refer to Hyper Beam.

While not intended as an answer, the English dub itself also turns out to have referred to Hyper Beam as Solar Beam in At the End of the Fray.

Question 4:
    The correct answer is the Super Training Energy Shot. Genesect has a black Energy Shot when not holding a Drive, and a green one while holding a Burn Drive.

Searching for "Genesect Burn Drive Green" brings up List of Pokémon by Super Training Energy Shot as the first result. While the color the Bulbapedia type effectiveness tables use for the effectiveness of Techno Blast on certain Pokémon also changes from black to green, this is not actually a property of Genesect itself.

Question 5:
    The correct answer is the Great Ball.

At first glance, this question may seem easy, or perhaps even trivial. But going to the catch rate page on Bulbapedia shows that Ultra Balls only perform better than Great Balls on Pokémon whose catch rates are above 55 and below 200 in Generation I. Since Horsea's catch rate is greater than 200 at 225, a Great Ball would actually be more effective to catch it in these games.

Question 6:
    The correct answer is encountering it in Super Apple Forest.

While not listed on Oshawott's page, searching for "Oshawott Super Mystery Dungeon" yields Super Apple Forest as the second result. Checking the page shows that Oshawott can be encountered as a wild Pokémon there.

Because the question asks about how to fight an Oshawott, choosing it as the player or the partner or recruiting it using the Connection Orb don't allow you to fight one on their own. However, we did count fighting a Ditto that has transformed into an Oshawott.

Question 7:
    The correct answer is Mega Pinsir.

Any of the various lists of Pokémon in Pokémon Shuffle, such as the List of Pokémon by Pokémon Shuffle list number, show the available Mega Stones and Mega Evolutions in the game. As of writing, the Pinsirite has not yet been made available, and so Mega Pinsir has not been released.

Question 8:
    The correct answer is from March 29 to May 29 and August 1 to 28 in 2001 for Pokémon Crystal.

Searching for the "greatest smith's ball" will bring you to the GS Ball page, as an NPC in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon refers to it as such. The dates on which it was distributed could be found on the Events section of the linked Pokémon Communication Center page.

Question 9:
    The correct answer is Ultima (or Kimberly).

Both the Trivia section of the Pokémon Colosseum page and searching for "Solid Plant" will bring you to the Frenzy Plant page. From there, you can make your way to Ultima's page.

Question 10:
    The correct answer is Mega V.

Let's break down the question:
    • "Your song"
      The quotes should give away that this is the title of a song. Although it doesn't have its own page, the top result searching for it brings you to Daybreak Meteor Shower (CD), on which "Your song" is included as a B-side.
    • "a song that released on its own CD single alongside..."
      "Your song" is included on the Regular and Limited Editions of the CD with the titular song "Daybreak Meteor Shower".
    • "the same Pokémon movie as..."
      "Daybreak Meteor Shower" is the Japanese ending theme to the 17th movie, Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction.
    • "Which theme song from the Pokémon anime was shown in..."
      The Japanese opening theme to the movie is "Mega V", which along with "Daybreak Meteor Shower" are shown in the Japanese version of the 17th movie.
    While "Peace Smile!" is included on the movie's soundtrack, it is the ending to the movie's Pikachu short, Pikachu, What's This Key?, and is not included in the movie itself. "Pokémon Theme (Version XY)" and "Open My Eyes" are the opening and ending themes to the movie in the English dub, but were not shown together with "Daybreak Meteor Shower" in the Japanese version.

Question 11:
    The correct answer is Ruby's Poochyena, Nana.

This can be found on both the Manga move errors page and the Hyper Beam page, as well as in the Trivia section on Nana's own page.

Question 12:
    The correct answer is that 25 distinct Shiny Pokémon have appeared across 26 cards of [​IMG] rarity. (A Shiny Rayquaza has appeared on two cards.)

You could cross-reference the Shiny Pokémon and Secret card (TCG) pages to count the number of Shiny cards of [​IMG] rarity, or from one of the pages manually check each card if it satisfies both conditions. The relevant cards:
    1. Emboar (Black & White 20)
    2. Zoroark (Black & White 71)
    3. Chandelure (Noble Victories 60)
    4. Hydreigon (Noble Victories 79)
    5. Gardevoir (Next Destinies 57)
    6. Archeops (Noble Victories 67)
    7. Rayquaza (Dragons Exalted 128)
    8. Reuniclus (Black & White 57)
    9. Serperior (Black & White 6)
    10. Krookodile (Dark Explorers 66)
    11. Golurk (Dragons Exalted 59)
    12. Terrakion (Noble Victories 73)
    13. Altaria (Dragons Exalted 84)
    14. Charizard (Boundaries Crossed 20)
    15. Blastoise (Boundaries Crossed 31)
    16. Empoleon (Dark Explorers 29)
    17. Sigilyph (Dragons Exalted 52)
    18. Garbodor (Dragons Exalted 54)
    19. Garchomp (Dragons Exalted 90)
    20. Exeggcute (Plasma Freeze 4)
    21. Virizion (Noble Victories 13)
    22. Dusknoir (Boundaries Crossed 63)
    23. Primal Kyogre-EX (Ancient Origins 96)
    24. Primal Groudon-EX (Ancient Origins 97)
    25. M Rayquaza-EX (Ancient Origins 98)
    26. Gyarados-EX (BREAKpoint 26)

Wild Jr. likes this.
  3. Jatayu09

Jatayu09 New Member

Blog Posts:
    And with that, another year of trivia comes to a close! I have to say that this year had a pretty good mix of questions. The Genesect and Horsea questions were especially satisfying to find the answers to. I, for one, almost just said Ultra Ball before diving a little deeper. :cautious:
    Definitely looking forward to the scavenger hunt when that happens! :D

By the way, congrats to all the other winners! And a big round of applause to Satsjoe for being the lucky individual to win a Switch!
    Happy belated Bulbamas/Bulbalidays!

Satsjoe likes this.
  4. Satsjoe

Satsjoe New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I can't believe I won the grand prize! :eek:
    A big thank you to Bulbagarden for organizing this event each year, it's always a blast to participate. Also, congrats to all the other winners!

Ree.Dogg likes this.
  5. Sir Cookie

Sir Cookie Bring Back Pichu

Blog Posts:
    As I expected, I got the last one wrong. But I'm surprised that I actually got 11 correct.

As much as I criticized it at the start this year was actually pretty fun

6. ewormPL

ewormPL Member

Blog Posts:
    Ah, messed up the song question after all. Still, this was a lot of fun. Congrats to the winners and the organizers too.

7. wesley

wesley New Member

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations to the winners. Are we able to know how many people got all 12 questions correct?

8. Wild Jr.

Wild Jr. Registered User

Blog Posts:
    I won? I WON!
    Congratulations to all the other winners too!

Ree.Dogg likes this.
  9. revival

revival New Member

Blog Posts:
    The only one i got wrong was #5 I was so close. oh well. gg

10. airin

airin New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow... I actually get all the answers correct... I curious how many people join in this event XD
    Anyway, congrats to all the winner!

11. Captain Meerkat

Blog Posts:
    Ugh, I fudged up on a few questions :confused:

Hopefully I can redeem myself in the Scavenger Hunt...

12. キットちゃん

キットちゃん 超かわいい狐

Blog Posts:
    Hyper Potion got nerfed?

13. anilyaris

anilyaris New Member

Blog Posts:
    I knew my answer for the last question would be wrong, but I want some justification. See, I'm not that big on the Pokémon TCG so I have to rely entirely on what is written on Bulbapedia to answer TCG-related questions (which I always get wrong). When I read the "Ultra Rare" being mentioned I searched for Rarity - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia and saw that Pokémon ☆ (TCG) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia is listed under the Ultra Rare section so I assumed this was what the question expected us to find. I noticed the ShinyRare Holo sign in the rarity section of Pokémon Star card list but since I have no knowledge of TCG I thought it could be a subclass of the Ultra Rare or something like that. Turns out the correct answer needed all shiny Pokémon that have the UR rarity symbol.

What are we supposed to do if the information on Bulbapedia is misleading itself? Similar sort of things happen with TCG questions every year where the participants have a really hard time figuring out what the correct answer is because of the ambiguity of the information available on Bulbapedia. Sorry for the rant, but I thought I needed to address this problem because I believe many people other than me have probably had this kind of issues as well. Nevertheless, congrats to the winners and thanks for the holiday events.

14. RazorBayleef4

RazorBayleef4 Bayleef used Razor Leaf!

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for another year of fun Christmas Contests! :) Congrats to the other winners, especially @Satsjoe for bagging the grand prize.

Satsjoe likes this.
  15. iippo

iippo New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, does this mean by email or messages here or?