• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbawiki site issues thread

Re: Bulbapedia site issues thread

I'm not sure if this belongs here..But.

lolwut.png

Do you know what happened here? @-@

DarkDreams, the server's been having problems. You stumbled on a server freakout, so to speak. Nothing much else to say about it.

Site still not opened for editing?
It's 16th June (the extended date). Are servers still not working properly due to excessive load?

I dare say E3 hasn't helped. If what I've been experiencing is anything to go by, they are still rather sluggish and overloaded. I don't think that opening editing up would be a good idea at the moment. Unfortunately that doesn't help my withdrawl symptoms. :loopy:

I've been using Microsoft Word to do some of my work for posting on the day when editing does reopen, though the only annoyance I have is that only a portion of it was previewed before the site was locked down any further. While it is annoying to wait until I can preview my work again, I am not surprised if lockdown will remain in effect after today and it is obvious that this Generation V business will be causing a lot of problems for the next few months.

Kinda makes me think that other than the Gen. V Pokemon, once the Pokedex listing is revealed than the other Pokemon involved (Such as Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu) might also cause high-end traffic which will result in protection for them.

Site still not opened for editing?
It's 16th June (the extended date). Are servers still not working properly due to excessive load?
I can't understand this either, it should have been reactivated by now. If anyone knows anymore information on this I'd love to know.

What I do know is that they tried to reopen it once during this lockdown, but due to the high traffic it was closed again. If the same thing happens again (which has a larger chance of happening) then the site will remain closed from general editing.

I can't understand this either, it should have been reactivated by now. If anyone knows anymore information on this I'd love to know.
Bulbapedia site notice said:
We hope to have the site re-opened by June 16th
The emphasis is mine.

It's not a case of simply setting a timer and leaving it, the admins must manually lock and unlock the site. They have obviously decided that opening it up is too likely to bring the whole site down, so they aren't opening it, even though they had hoped to be able to by now.

Or they might open it during the night/early morning. I would think that our traffic wouldn't be as high then. Plus there are a lot of problems to fix and they have jobs/school/a life.

I've been using Microsoft Word to do some of my work for posting on the day when editing does reopen

Don't use Word. It messes up quotation marks and apostrophes, and I hate having to change them back. So just use WordPad or Notepad.

Don't use Word. It messes up quotation marks and apostrophes, and I hate having to change them back. So just use WordPad or Notepad.

Don't worry I am going to perform an extensive preview test first. The first part I did have a chance to preview when the server was partially locked prior to you locking it down further. If there are any problems during these tests then I will fix before saving, since my plan never had any intention of pasting and saving.

Last Night I tried accessing http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page and all other Bulbagarden sites but kept getting oops google chrome can't find bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net or oops google chrome can't find bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net.

No matter how many times I refreshed the page it remained. I was unable to access the site all evening.

BTW I am using Google Chrome.

If anyone knows why that happened I would be delighted to know as obviously I am able to access the sites today or I wouldn't have been able to post this message.

Thanks

Last Night I tried accessing http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page and all other Bulbagarden sites but kept getting oops google chrome can't find bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net or oops google chrome can't find bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net.

No matter how many times I refreshed the page it remained. I was unable to access the site all evening.

BTW I am using Google Chrome.

If anyone knows why that happened I would be delighted to know as obviously I am able to access the sites today or I wouldn't have been able to post this message.

Thanks

I also get this.

It was a server thing - all the servers were down for quite a little while yesterday night.

Today I seem to be getting a lot of 503 errors every time I try to access a article on Bulbawiki.

Below is a list of Comparisons between Bulbapedia and Wikipedia
  • Wikipedia has 12,564,100 Users where as Bulbapedia has only 36,184 Users
  • Wikipedia has 3,327,233 Pages where as Bulbapedia has only 1,107,284 Pages
  • Wikipedia has a average 19.11(20) edits per page where as Bulbapedia only has 12.64(13) edits per page, roughly 7 edits difference
With these statistics I would have thought wikipedia would have also had server stress with more Users and Articles than bulbapedia.

This has been baffling me for ages.

Today I seem to be getting a lot of 503 errors every time I try to access a article on Bulbawiki.

Below is a list of Comparisons between Bulbapedia and Wikipedia
  • Wikipedia has 12,564,100 Users where as Bulbapedia has only 36,184 Users
  • Wikipedia has 3,327,233 Pages where as Bulbapedia has only 1,107,284 Pages
  • Wikipedia has a average 19.11(20) edits per page where as Bulbapedia only has 12.64(13) edits per page, roughly 7 edits difference
With these statistics I would have thought wikipedia would have also had server stress with more Users and Articles than bulbapedia.

This has been baffling me for ages.
/facepalm

We have about 5 servers while Wikipedia has OVER THREE HUNDRED. Plus there is a unknown problem we're having with the Wiki and trying to fix it. And a lot more things are on the servers than just the Wiki. So really I don't know why you're baffled.

So really I don't know why you're baffled.
i dont think he knows how websites and hosting works.

but yes, Sublime is right, theyre bigger and have more power. we also are having a rather odd problem with the servers and we are working hastily to find the solution.

Rather odd problem indeed. Now's definitely not a fun time for us.

We're trying our best to track down the source of this problem, but so far, we've come up with nothing. We fixed the earlier problem; it was indeed caused by roundy, which we're going to be splitting into nine templates to ease the stress it causes. The current problem is one that has thrown the load balancer completely out of whack, and we're doing all we can to keep it up. The site should not go down for more than five minutes at a time, however, this is only a temporary solution, and editing will not be restored on Bulbapedia until we are absolutely sure it is not causing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom