• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbawiki site issues thread

I have a question about the forums so forgive me if this isn't the right place to put it. Every so often I get a notification on here saying "New post quote". When I click on it nothing shows up, so I'm confused. What does this mean?

The Help Desk is the best place for forums questions, although in this case it's fine here, because it's probably to do with this area.

That happens when the quote is in a forum which you don't have permission to access. In this case, it's probably that someone has quoted part of your staff application. When you submitted the form, it created a thread in a bulbawiki staff only forum with the form output as a post by you. (Which is why, just like reporting, it makes your post count go up.) Bulbawiki staff can then comment on your application, including quoting parts of it, just like a normal post in a normal thread. There's also a poll to help keep track of opinions.

The forum notification system recognises that your post has been quoted and alerts you, however when you try and see it, it can't get anything because you can't access the relevant forum. The same thing happens for any staff exclusive forum, and occurs with mentions as well.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question--sorry if it isn't! But I'm at my wit's end.

Yesterday morning I logged into Bulbapedia to find that none of the pages will load properly. All that shows up is a whole screen of the shade of green used as the background in my preferred skin (Erika's Garden). So while I can log in, I can't see anything, anywhere, on any page--just a huge blank empty field of green. The same thing happens when I try and log into the Archives or Bulbanews, only the blank field is white, since I don't have a custom skin set there. The only way I can view Bulbapedia at all is by logging out, which itself I can only do by clearing my cookies.

This problem is happening globally--by which I mean I've tried Firefox, IE and Safari, and used two different computers, all to no effect. I didn't do anything special that I can remember the last time I was logged in which could have triggered this change, and I'm stumped for how to try to fix it, since I can't do anything without logging in, and when I log in I'm transported to a giant blank green mystery field. Does anyone know what might have happened, or what I can do to fix this? Or should I just wait it out and hope the problem spontaneously resolves itself? (I miss editing, though!)

Thanks for any help!

~Ganamex (my username on Bulbapedia)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question--sorry if it isn't! But I'm at my wit's end.

Yesterday morning I logged into Bulbapedia to find that none of the pages will load properly. All that shows up is a whole screen of the shade of green used as the background in my preferred skin (Erika's Garden). So while I can log in, I can't see anything, anywhere, on any page--just a huge blank empty field of green. The same thing happens when I try and log into the Archives or Bulbanews, only the blank field is white, since I don't have a custom skin set there. The only way I can view Bulbapedia at all is by logging out, which itself I can only do by clearing my cookies.

This problem is happening globally--by which I mean I've tried Firefox, IE and Safari, and used two different computers, all to no effect. I didn't do anything special that I can remember the last time I was logged in which could have triggered this change, and I'm stumped for how to try to fix it, since I can't do anything without logging in, and when I log in I'm transported to a giant blank green mystery field. Does anyone know what might have happened, or what I can do to fix this? Or should I just wait it out and hope the problem spontaneously resolves itself? (I miss editing, though!)

Thanks for any help!

~Ganamex (my username on Bulbapedia)

I've been having the exact same problem! I use Erika's Garden too, so maybe its the problem... Please fix this!

Yes, this it the right place to post this. That appears to be an unexpected consequence of the Mediawiki upgrade that was done. I know the changes to vector broke my personal css, so this is probably a related issue. I'll see if I can figure it out, but it may take some time. Given that editing the css pages required is (rightly) restricted to beuraucrats and above, I can't even apply a fix myself, so it probably won't be a quick fix.

Until it does get fixed, if you are logged in you can use this link to access your preferences in the monobook skin, so that you can change your skin to something which will let you view pages.

Much obliged for the help, Werdnae! I was able to switch to Monobook from your link and things are fine now. Hope the overarching issue gets figured out, but in the meantime, I'm just happy to be able to use Bulbapedia normally again. :)

Okay, looking in to it, it's not the css. It appears to be that the skin coding is broken. Using firebug to look at the html live, there's just no content at all in the body for the Erika's Garden skin. All other skins appear to be unaffected. I don't know what's causing it, I can't even view the code for that as far as I'm aware - it's back end stuff. I wonder if @Kogoro can figure it out. Or at least disable the skin in the meantime.

If she can't, we can also do a magic dance and summon the skin creator and CSS guru @Jioruji Derako.

Hum, only just noticed this myself (I don't check my messages often, since I have it set to email me notifications; it seems to have decided not to do that anymore, either).

As a user of the Erika's Garden skin myself, I've also got the same issue, so yes, it's an issue alright. The CSS is still very much intact, so there's no issues there; that leaves the back-end files, then, which I also have no access to (I installed the skin originally by having someone else copy the files on my behalf).
If there was a recent MediaWiki update, it's likely the default monobook html file was updated; since the Erika's Garden is based off of monobook, it uses a near-exact copy of the html file, but since it is indeed a separate file, it wouldn't have been updated along with everything else. I'd imagine that's where the issue is coming from, but without any access to things myself, there's no way I can check.

So the question now is, who among us has backend server access?

Back in the day, I would have just IM'd Zhen, or TTE, but I realize there may be a better way to do things around here.

I can't reproduce the bug - it happened when my girlfriend tried to go from the Vanilluxe page to the Deerling page using the links at the top of species pages. I don't need feedback or anything, but this should be looked into, I suppose...

Back in the day, I would have just IM'd Zhen, or TTE, but I realize there may be a better way to do things around here.

I can't reproduce the bug - it happened when my girlfriend tried to go from the Vanilluxe page to the Deerling page using the links at the top of species pages. I don't need feedback or anything, but this should be looked into, I suppose...

That's not the IP address of Bulbagarden, or even close to it. It's probably the IP address of an ad. *reposts in the bad ad thread so it can be investigated*

Perhaps a tad late, but for anyone who was previously experiencing issues with the Erika's Garden skin on Bulbapedia, everything is fixed and working properly now (or should be). If you've managed to switch to a different skin, it's safe to switch back now.
Though I haven't found anything myself, there's of course the possibility that not everything was completely updated; be sure to preview the skin before switching, to be safe. And if you do run into any issues, either post here, or contact me directly, and I'll see if I can't get it fixed up.
One last note, if the Erika's Garden skin is still blank green for you, make sure to completely refresh the page; there may be the old, broken CSS/HTML still cached on your computer. (you can do a force-refresh by pressing Ctrl+F5 in Firefox or Chrome, or Shift+Ctrl+F5 in Internet Explorer.)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I can't reset my password for the wiki itself. Every time I type in my name to get it reset I get this error

error.jpg

Just checked a couple of times, both with your username and mine. It appears the password reset function is broken. Any ideas why that could be @Zhen Lin;?

I'm getting the password problem too... This is kind of a problem, because I must've for some reason made my password different from my usual so now I'm locked out of Bulbapedia. Let me know when you fix it, please?

I have a problem with the wiki that suddenly started a week ago.

Whenever I go into the site, or go to some page, the browser loads the page (and I can see some of the page) and then, the page turns white, and in lower bar in the browser it says "Reading..." and then it never return to the page.

As I said, this started only a week ago, and until then, everything was just fine. I'm using FireFox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom