• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bushfires cover south-eastern Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilac Hill

Reaction score
The death toll from the wildfires in southeastern Australia rose to 84 as thousands of firefighters continued to battle the flames, police said Sunday.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced the creation of an Aust $10 million relief fund to help immediately assist the more than 600 families that have lost homes to the blaze.

"Unfortunately those numbers will increase as we move through the day," said Kieran Walshe, deputy police commissioner of the state of Victoria.

Authorities are hoping that mild weather moving into the area later Sunday will help the scores of firefighters who have been battling the flames. Troops are also being deployed to assist, the prime minister's office said.

"By the end of the day, I would imagine a lot more fires will be under control," said Sharon Merritt of the country's Fire Protection Association.

Meanwhile, Victoria police are investigating the possibility that at least two of the fires were set, said Superintendent Ross McNeill.

"We haven't made any arrests," he said. "We're investigating a few suspects at the moment," he said.

Added Walshe: "When you look at the way fires started, you can clearly see it's not possible for a natural ignition to occur."

The Aust $10 million ($6.5 million) will be made available immediately to help families and communities affected by the fire, the government.

By Sunday night, the death toll was at 84, Victoria police spokeswoman Leeanne Clinton. Six hundred and forty houses have been destroyed, Merritt said.

The wildfires could become the worst since fires in 1983 that killed 75 people, officials said.

A third of the deaths occurred in the Kinglake area about 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Melbourne, Australia's second most populated city and the capital of Victoria.

Still, despite earlier reports, the fires have not posed a significant threat to more populous areas, including Melbourne, as they sweep across rural outskirts of southeastern Australia, Walshe said.

By Sunday afternoon, eight major fires were burning through Victoria, destroying hundreds of thousands of acres, said Daniel Connell, spokesman for the state's Country Fire Authority. The largest blaze has centered around Kinglake, where 100,000 hectares (247,000 acres) have burned down.

Another fire ravaged 90,000 hectares in Churchill, about 160 km (100 miles) southeast of Melbourne.

In Victoria, 30 blazes were registered in 30 hours, said Fran Ludgate with the Fire Protection Association. Photo Photos: Bushfires leave path of destruction »

The New South Wales Rural Fire Service asked residents to remain indoors and close all windows, as winds continued to push smoke from the bush into the Sydney metropolitan area.

Sue McMahon thought she could stay in her home as wildfires burned, but changed her mind after taking a look at the blackening sky in Victoria.

"Combined with the noise and the smoke and the blackness, I don't think I can do it," the Tinumbuk resident said.

Video from the scene showed people trying to stamp out fires with towels and clothes. In some instances, people waited too long to flee the scene and were trapped in their cars, a police spokeswoman said.

Accompanying the flames is one of the most powerful heat waves in memory, with temperatures in parts of Melbourne reaching 48 degrees Celsius (118 degrees Fahrenheit) in the last few weeks. Dozens of heat-related deaths have been reported.

By Sunday, the temperatures had dropped to the mid-20s in the area.

The fires were being fought mostly with aircraft, except in areas where homes were at risk, authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/08/australia.wildfires/index.html

I've been following this on the news. This sort of thing is just so horrible.

So many people dead, many more missing, and all the people who've lost everything.

The news footage has been just shocking as well; it's quite terrible to see entire townships wiped out.

My heart goes out to the victims and all their friends and family.

This is horrible, apparently it happened so fast... :-(

Hopefully none of the deaths were because people decided to go head to head with the flames armed with their garden hose on their roof.

Hopefully none of the deaths were because people decided to go head to head with the flames armed with their garden hose on their roof.

From what I've seen, there have been several cases of entire families trying to escape the flames only to have their car burn up around them on the road.

In one case, a 13-year-old girl was the only survivor of a family of 5.

Why did they wait so long to leave though?

It cant of been that fast, news reports of a fire approaching would have been quite enough warning.

i just heard that on the news
its terrible

Why did they wait so long to leave though?

It cant of been that fast, news reports of a fire approaching would have been quite enough warning.

Apparantly some areas were approached by fire on 3 sides, with people unknowingly driving into the flames.

Did you hear about how there is belief that arsonists are relighting some fires?

I hope they get caught. This is almost like terrorism, minus the politics.

Did you hear about how there is belief that arsonists are relighting some fires?

It's hard for me to keep my stance against the death penalty with people like that around.

Ultimately most arsonists don't go out with the intention to kill people, just with the intention of starting a fire.

Therefore manslaughter is actually a more appropriate charge...

-----------------------------------------------

ABC Melbourne has reported a death toll of 96.

Last edited:
Not as bad as earlier today.

Wouldn't call it under control though...

Sadly the toll at this moment is 131 lives lost, with predictions of the death toll reaching 200. I hope that any arsons that started any of the fires get caught soon.

You gotta love Kevin Rudd's description of the event.

"Hell has come to Earth."

Yeah, whoever is responsible will be facing mass murder charges apparently.

There are currently at least 50 fires still burning out of control, and there are still plenty of people in danger.

Over half of Victoria is now a crime scene...

Death toll's now confirmed at 171 and could end up close to 230.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is. You never know, changing tactics it could be etc. It's terrible this is truly terrible. I doubt the fires were started on purpose with the intention of killing people, I would imagine people saw the fires and thought; "'cool' I'll make them worse by starting another fire here".

You can guarantee (well almost at least) that this is all the fault of some stupid teenagers, having a 'laugh', but when does that laugh end up in murder though? In my opinion right now, I'd agree with mass murder charges being brought to anyone *helping* the fires spread and certainly starting them. There is no excuse for such a thing really, in all honestly.

It may not be the case though, but sadly it seems so. I am not surprised by anything that humanity does personally, I mean look at war torn countries, what happens there? Mass murder, rape and war crimes all at the same time, on an almost daily basis. *sigh*

My heart truly goes out to all those who are effected by these fires and may anyone who has died during this mess Rest In Peace.

Last edited:
I hope the fires can be sorted soon and they do get the people who added to the fires, its sad about the death toll, may all those who have, rest in peace. My heart goes out to those all who are affected by this.

I've been monitoring the coverage on the Seven News, and yesterday was absolutely terrible. Families huddled together in their houses, trapped in their cars and everything just torn and stripped away by wildfire.

This is ... just, very disturbing to see unfold.

The Red Cross has almost garnered 20 million dollars in donations, but it won't be enough to rebuild all these lost homes and help the grieving families, nor will it bring families much comfort from the people they have lost.

Many of the photographs of the affected areas just look like Victoria has had a nuclear weapon dropped on them. I really can't elaborate on how horrific this is. The death toll was at 170 ... and it's going to go up, no matter how in denial we can be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom