• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Buy or Pass?

The titular question: Buy or Pass?

• Buy

• Pass

• Still unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm buying, but largely just because I have several friends who are planning to get it too.

In buying it, at first I had mixed feelings on whether I want to buy the game, since I didn't play pokemon go, I did enjoy play pokemon red, blue and yellow.

For all my ragging on the removals, I think I'm still firmly in the Buy section. Probably "buy when it gets discounted"-60$ is too much for most games IMO, and LGPE isn't wowing me-but still worth picking up. I'll grumble when I have to change up my party to meet a gym's requirements, sure, but if most of the game is traveling with/riding on customized Pokemon in a region with an artstyle I enjoy, I think it can be a pretty good time all the same.

The one thing that would push me into passing would be if there was absolutely 0 post game content. If the fun runs out when I catch Mewtwo/the new unknown Pokemon, I'd be pretty disappointed.

I have since moved to the Pass category, mostly due to money concerns. There are just so many other things, both important and frivolous, that are of a higher priority to me right now, and as it happens, I am actually playing through LGPE at this very moment, except my copy is a better and more fleshed-out edition called Pokémon FireRed Version.

RGBY have better music as far as I'm concerned, and a darker atmosphere that was probably not intended(?). Yellow's Pikachu is a nice plus.

Hard pass. I get wanting to appeal to kids and the Go crowd, but you already have the kids and most Go players aren't going to stay fans for long. It's just a rush of nostalgia for them before they move on to the next thing, like a Dawson's Creek reboot or something.

My point is, the games look to be the worst traditional RPG titles in the series so far. Colosseum and XD, for their faults, at least tried something different.

It's a pass.
Felt quite sick watching them be announced before finding out about the 2019 games.
Just not a Go fan. And Kanto has little of interest for me.
Basically, not a reason to buy a Switch for me, that's a major investment. And I will make it for Pokemon! But not for these particular games.

I haven't got a Switch, and even if I did it's tough to say whether I'd buy or not. I'm a loyal fan, sure. Pokemon Sun provided a lot of entertainment and from there I assumed that I'd keep on going. This is becoming less certain, especially with them having moved off handheld consoles.

The simplification is far from magnetic. Pokemon hasn't changed its structure since its conception, basically, and it has managed to get away with it. That's fine. That's okay. Good on them for making it work. But I'm not going to settle for it going backwards. I want a degree of difficulty and if I can't impose handicaps now, if what I've heard about the games is true, then why bother? Making games toddler-friendly is a massive mistake and I propose that there should be two versions - one is the easy, cuddly one that holds your hand, and the second is much harder and provides a challenge for the more seasoned trainer.

Also, the art style isn't doing anything for me. I liked the earlier styles, with the real Kanto and Johto and Hoenn and stuff. It was iconic!

Gamefreak needs to step up its game if it wants another cent from me. Otherwise I'm going to revert to older titles or find a new Catch 'Em All kind of game if they're determined to lower the age gap. Not asking for some brutal origin stories or blood spatter - just some challenge!

Yeah, this is gonna be a pass for me. I don't have Go. I never plan to install Go on my smartphone. I'm not in a place where there's an established Go community, so there's no reason for me to use Go. The games themselves haven't done anything to really appeal to me. I strongly detest the chibi bobblehead style and I'm very disappointed to see it making a return. Just looking at the latest trailer, this style doesn't gel with a character like Lt. Surge. He looks like he's been shrunken for no good reason. And I shudder to think of what guys like Giovanni, Lance, and Bruno will look like in this style.

Also not happy that the grid-based overworlds are returning from Gen VI along with the minimalistic towns and chibified buildings. That stuff worked better in the sprite-based games. The fact that these games are just tweaked versions of Yellow with not much new to offer besides the ability to use Alola forms means I have no incentive to buy them. I don't have Go, so I won't be sending 'mons there or getting them back. And who even knows if this game will get Bank compatibility once that comes to the Switch? I'd think they would, but given the starter is being "tweaked" to be different/stronger than a wild Eevee/Pikachu, we're looking at another Cosplay Pikachu situation where they'll be forever stuck in LGPE.

With that said, I'm glad this is what we're getting first on the Switch instead of Gen VIII. Game Freak has not done well with their first releases on a new console. DP were frustratingly slow/laggy to the point where I can't replay Gen IV games, period. And I didn't enjoy XY very much, either. So, I'd rather the Gen VIII team have more time to produce a solid final product. Would I have preferred an actual spinoff title to LGPE? Yes. But I see what they're going for with this game. It's not for me, so I'm skipping it.

Yeah, this is gonna be a pass for me. I don't have Go. I never plan to install Go on my smartphone. I'm not in a place where there's an established Go community, so there's no reason for me to use Go. The games themselves haven't done anything to really appeal to me. I strongly detest the chibi bobblehead style and I'm very disappointed to see it making a return. Just looking at the latest trailer, this style doesn't gel with a character like Lt. Surge. He looks like he's been shrunken for no good reason. And I shudder to think of what guys like Giovanni, Lance, and Bruno will look like in this style.

Also not happy that the grid-based overworlds are returning from Gen VI along with the minimalistic towns and chibified buildings. That stuff worked better in the sprite-based games. The fact that these games are just tweaked versions of Yellow with not much new to offer besides the ability to use Alola forms means I have no incentive to buy them. I don't have Go, so I won't be sending 'mons there or getting them back. And who even knows if this game will get Bank compatibility once that comes to the Switch? I'd think they would, but given the starter is being "tweaked" to be different/stronger than a wild Eevee/Pikachu, we're looking at another Cosplay Pikachu situation where they'll be forever stuck in LGPE.

With that said, I'm glad this is what we're getting first on the Switch instead of Gen VIII. Game Freak has not done well with their first releases on a new console. DP were frustratingly slow/laggy to the point where I can't replay Gen IV games, period. And I didn't enjoy XY very much, either. So, I'd rather the Gen VIII team have more time to produce a solid final product. Would I have preferred an actual spinoff title to LGPE? Yes. But I see what they're going for with this game. It's not for me, so I'm skipping it.
Tbh I saw too much Kanto! I cant stand it anymore! Gen I,Gen II,Gen III, Gen IV, Gen VII al those references to it! Giovanni in USUM and AGAIN Giovanni!

I'm passing because of several factors:

• I don't own the Switch, and I've no plans to buy one at this time.
  • I don't play Pokemon Go, which I feel would hinder my enjoyment of these games.
  • I'm sick of Kanto nostalgia bait in general.
  • I seriously dislike the new capture mechanic.
  • I dislike the supposed absence of non-Kanto Pokemon.

I'm seriously on the fence. I mean, I understand the idea, but... is it going to have bank connectivity? If so, then I'll have to give it a try just for collecting purposes. If not, well... then I really don't have a reason to play it.

I was a bit skeptical at first but after seeing some teasers and all, I am slightly interested in roaming around a full 3D Kanto. It does look nice.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom