• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Buy or Pass?

The titular question: Buy or Pass?

• Buy

• Pass

• Still unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s definitely a pass for me unless it’s possible for us to transfer in later generation Pokémon via Pokémon go.

He knows how to get his hardcore fans to buy as many games as possible: keep features exclusive.

That's the casual players, not the hardcore players. Having something flashy to put on the back of the box is something that would get the casual players' attention more so than the hardcore players. The hardcore players would be interested in having flashy features as well, but they expect to see a sense of evolution as well, the games need to feel like they're constantly evolving and improving due to increases in technology and the developers becoming more experienced. More than that though, hardcore gamers are going to want a polished game full of content. Even more so on console where there's a higher demand for exploration focused games. Masuda doesn't seem to really understand this mentality all that well.

Most likely going to stick to a hard pass on these. These games have "dumbed down" written all over them. I've tried games like this before trying to make myself enjoy them because they're from a franchise I love (Paper Mario Sticker Star, The Sims 4, etc.) and I've only found myself too frustrated with how much they're lacking to get too far into them.

Only being able to catch the original 151, the Pokemon GO wild Pokemon system, the bad, outdated chibi 2.5D graphics, and it being Kanto again with absolutely no ambition put into overhauling the region (everything is so tiny, it's dumbed down and lazy) just put the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm extremely saddened that GF is going down this road when a less mediocre game could be made with optional Pokemon GO features to appeal to that crowd and they'd still make a lot of money while still being able to appeal to fans of the main series like me.

Pass. I don't care about Go, it looks to be another Kanto remake which is dull to me since I feel it's a missed opportunity to expand on the region, and the changes and features of the game do not appeal to me at all.

In 2012-2013, I'd had accepted a barebones Kanto remake, I really wanted to relieve my experiences from my lost Fire Red cartridge. But after FOUR games in a row with loads of Kanto Pokemon in their rosters playing the same roles from the RS/DP era, and story beats imported from Kanto that show that its story and maps haven't aged well, that feeling has faded and a remodelation was mandatory. But we know what happened.

There are cool things like some have said above, but unless there's a fantastic feature, a gigantic post-game area or even the return of the Sevii Islands I'll pass.

There are cool things like some have said above, but unless there's a fantastic feature, a gigantic post-game area or even the return of the Sevii Islands I'll pass.

I wouldn’t expect much since they confirmed that the map is remaining mostly the same from yellow in an interview.

I'm not really expecting anything. The houses in Fuchsia were made more Japanese-like and the floor was colored, but that's something HGSS did with Ecruteak 9 years and 2 consoles ago.

Can't afford a Switch right now or anytime soon, really. Probably not until next year at the earliest. Couldn't even afford USUM, but from what I'm hearing, it wasn't much of a loss.

Anyway though, what I've seen thus far hasn't caught my interest too much. By the time I am able to get a Switch, it'll probably be when Gen 8 is going to be released. So unless Gen 8 removes the Pokemon following behind you or being able to ride them, I most likely will decide to pass. It's funny, because unlike a lot of older Pokemon fans, I've barely played the Kanto games. (Gen II was my first and that's the Gen I played through extensively) But I have Pokemon Yellow on VC or FireRed for that. Though I'll keep an eye on other long time fans' general reception and read information on it. That will firmly cement my decision. And if I do decide to, I'll likely wait for a price drop.

Last edited:
Put unsure because there is no by used option. Even if I only save five bucks it will be worth it because I am unsatisfieded with Gamefreak's performance during the 3ds era.

Even if this game is something I would have fun with for the campaign, I worry this game performing better than gen VIII runs counter to my interests.

I'll buy the Let's Go Eevee... beacuse... Eevee too cute to not get
even if I don't have a switch yet, I know I will save for one ..

Eevee is the only reason I need to get it

Right now, I'm still on the fence. At first, I was all for being able to play a core Pokémon title on a console, that also has co-op. I'm generally a strong supporter of remakes, which this sure seems to be...but this just comes across as nothing more than a lazy re-skinned remake of Yellow with just a few new neat features that the Switch is capable of.

I have a feeling that I may just cave in and buy one of the two titles eventually, though... But I do need to get a Switch first.

Last edited:
I'd have to say 95% chance I'll pass, unless there's something REALLY major that has yet to be revealed. I'm talking like a Sevii Islands postgame or an adaptation of ORAS's Secret Base feature in which you can actually become Viridian City's next Gym Leader in Blue's place with a custom QR team or something (now that would be cool!).

Honestly, the biggest problem I have with these games is with the execution, rather than the fact that they're remaking Kanto in 3D.

The "Let's Go!" names flat out suck.
The protagonists look like 8-year-old versions of Red & Leaf.
IMO the games have even more of a "cash grab" feel than USUM did.
And only the original 151 Pokemon plus their Alola forms even being in the game is a HUGE disappointment to me.

Throw in the National Dex & a Pokémon Bank compatibility update and some surprise features that have yet to be revealed, like that Gym idea I mentioned above, and maybe I and some others who really don't want to return to Kanto yet again might be more inclined to give these games a chance.

But based on what I've seen so far I'm not impressed, and I'm definitely going to vote Pass in the poll, for now.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom