• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Buying Japanese dvds

Hyatt

Reaction score
I, through some strange [legal] circumstances that shall remain personal, have a lot of cash to spend and decided that it would be a great idea to start buying Japanese Pokemon dvds. It'd not only benefit the Pokemon company but my harddrive space which I'm really stingy about lately.

The problem is going about this. English-language Amazon only has the dub versions of the dvds and although I can read a bit of Japanese with the help of Rikai-chan, I'm just not used to dealing with Amazon.co.jp

Also, if I purchase one of these dvds, do they ship outside of the country? I hear a lot of stories on people having to resort to a Japanese friend to ship to them. Would I have to go through that?

I've used Amazon Japan before, and there's no problem with them shipping overseas. The problem is that there aren't a lot of episodes out there to buy.

I believe you can just use your existing Amazon account there, and since they have some English help pages it's not to difficult to figure out.

So if I want to get the entire DP series on dvd, will that be possible? Or will I have to go back to illegal means
:/

Other than going to Japan, renting the rental-only DVDs, and claiming to have lost them (which probably isn't cheap), no.
It's a shame, but very little of the series is actually available on DVD to buy.

Pokeani has a complete listing here.

I thought that the DVD episodes in Japan have 1 episode per DVD. If i recall correctly?

The Best Collection DVDs they're releasing for sale all the time nowadays only have one episode, yes (reportedly without any kind of additional material, even down to the lack of intro and ending themes). The rental DVDs generally have 3 episodes each.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that there are some Chinese box sets that have the Japanese audio on them, but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I saw them.

I, through some strange [legal] circumstances that shall remain personal, have a lot of cash to spend and decided that it would be a great idea to start buying Japanese Pokemon dvds. It'd not only benefit the Pokemon company but my harddrive space which I'm really stingy about lately.

The problem is going about this. English-language Amazon only has the dub versions of the dvds and although I can read a bit of Japanese with the help of Rikai-chan, I'm just not used to dealing with Amazon.co.jp

Also, if I purchase one of these dvds, do they ship outside of the country? I hear a lot of stories on people having to resort to a Japanese friend to ship to them. Would I have to go through that?

Yeah, you can have them shipped outside Japan. The problem is there are barely any Japanese Pokemon DVDs availiable. Go for the movies. I highly recommend Play-Asia. The shipping is wicked cheap compared to other Japanese sites shipping outside Japan.

Just a warning - Japanese DVDs are expensive, and I have absolutely no idea why.

As a fan of both the Japanese version of Pokemon and Super Sentai (the Japanese show Power Rangers gets footage from; highly recommended), I have no idea either. All I know is that it's a pain in the butt.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom