• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW010: Rival Battle! The Strong Opponent Pururill!

Except Paul is more interesting.
They're different, but peronally I prefer Paul. And if is going to go undefeated (by a beginner...) until the league it will suck.

Didn't particularly like this episode, but it wasn't bad.

They are actually VERY similar
127.jpg
DP110.jpg

105.jpg
DP359.jpg

Last edited:
What I personally mind is how a beginner can put such a team together and curbstomp Ash, while the latter has much more experience? Even pikachu lost again, to a evolved, but still a relatively inexperienced pokemon.

Everyone may come up with explanations to justify this, but the only true one is that in the BW restyle they scaled back Ash's power and general skill, while giving a 'always a step before you'' BEGINNER is to keep the show good for rookie kids. I can agree that's a good strategy with a eye on real life, and I accept it as such. But in-story it's unrealistic.
Even with not everything being rules by a pokemon's level in a anime, that doesn't take away the writers are bending the plot to keep Ash a rookie. Remembering DP and AG, I feel saddened, even when it's the only way to run the show.

What I personally mind is how a beginner can put such a team together and curbstomp Ash, while the latter has much more experience? Even pikachu lost again, to a evolved, but still a relatively inexperienced pokemon.
But I thought Pikachu was the only one with more experience than Shooty's Pokemon. The rest of Ash's current Pokemon have about the same or less experience so there's nothing that shocking about their loss. I mean we aren't talking about the same Pokemon who fought in the previous Leagues here except for Pikachu of course.

I suspect Shooty has trained his Pokemon more than Ash has. Only Pikachu's loss is questionable. Yeah, I'm not sure if that's what you are saying but.... Yes, I know I already said all the above

They actually VERY similar
127.jpg
DP110.jpg

105.jpg
DP359.jpg
Oh that's nothing when compared to this:
47451131.jpg
59528281.jpg

37923524.jpg
80010062.jpg

Shooty's totally a copy of Dent. You can't deny it.

Oh that's nothing when compared to this:
47451131.jpg
59528281.jpg

37923524.jpg
80010062.jpg

Oh yes I can. In this case it's just the same body movement. In my images, this is also the same behavior and attitude.

Obviously, he is a fan of "Dento-san" :p

Oh yeah, because Paul totally smiled a lot throughout his Ash's battle just like Shooty did. And he always acted smug and taunted Ash.

From first episode:

241.jpg

Extra evidence:

334.jpg

shooty.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, clone talk is always fun. Remember "Dawn is a May clone" during early DP? How about "Iris is a Misty clone" because people are impatient as shit?

Nobody's a clone of anybody, only if they look AND act the same. Shooti acts differently than Paul. Curbstomp Battles don't make him a clone, Jesus...

Nobody's a clone of anybody, only if they look AND act the same. Shooti acts differently than Paul. Curbstomp Battles don't make him a clone, Jesus...

No personality =/= Different personality...

American face + Shinji - Personality = Shooty

Oh those images of Paul and Shooty- I didn't say Shinji never smiled, I said he did smile, but only a few times. Shooty smiled almost throughout the battle. And yes, I forgot to point out that Shooty did smile in an evil way like Shinji, but only once so far.

Shooty smiled a lot throughout their batttle. Shinji has only smiled a few times throughout their battle. That's what I'm saying. Now I might be wrong an Shinji smiled a lot in one battle, but lets stop this discussion which I was meant to stop before.

We all say that, but still there are people who won't leave it.

The comparison to their poses is just really hilarious. And yes, I wasn't being serious with the whole "Shooty is a clone of Dent" thing with those screenshots. I suspect all of you to know that, but I think there are a few who won't which would be very ridiculous.

Obviously, he is a fan of "Dento-san" :p
Oh of course he is. In reality I think Shooty seems to respect Dent. Can anyone translate what Dent said that convinced Shooty to battle Satoshi?

Last edited:
Oh those images of Paul and Shooty- I didn't say Shinji never smiled, I said he did smile, but only a few times. Shooty smiled almost throughout the battle. And yes, I forgot to point out that Shooty did smile in an evil way like Shinji, but only once so far.

We all say that, but still there are people who won't leave it.

The comparison to their poses is just really hilarious. And yes, I wasn't being serious with the whole "Shooty is a clone of Dent" thing with those screenshots. I suspect all of you to know that, but I'm kind of sure there are a few who won't.

Oh of course he is. In reality I think Shooty seems to respect Dent. Can anyone translate what Dent said that convinced Shooty to battle Satoshi?
I thought it was Iris taunting him that did the trick.

Yes there was that. But Dent's words also convinced Shooty enough.

I'm confused on whenever Iris taunting him did convince Shooty as well.

But I thought Pikachu was the only one with more experience than Shooty's Pokemon. The rest of Ash's current Pokemon have about the same or less experience so there's nothing that shocking about their loss. I mean we aren't talking about the same Pokemon who fought in the previous Leagues here except for Pikachu of course.

I suspect Shooty has trained his Pokemon more than Ash has. Only Pikachu's loss is questionable. Yeah, I'm not sure if that's what you are saying but.... Yes, I know I already said all the above

I know only Pikachu's loss is truly odd, but what's bugging me is that Ash acts like a rookie with inexperienced pokemon, while Shooti is all arrogant with a trained team, and (at least now) seems to act like he's generally more skilled. And looking back at AG and DP Ash is quite the grizzed vet by now. They nerfed ash and pika for AG and DP as well, but it had never been quite as glaring as now,in AG Ash still had to learn stuff, and in DP he improved quickly, and Paul was a veteran as well.

Oh well, I just hope that by end of BW, his old pokemon will come back, and he is handled like a veteran, like DP also did. I know I shouldn't care with a promotion anime like pokemon, which limits certain stuff, but still.. ouch.I LIKED DP Ash.

I just hope Ash gets a female rival down the line in BW....be it anime only, or Belle. Him having one would be a nice break from the males.

Paul was never an interesting character unlike Shooti really is and he didn't even have a personality at all to begin with,Shooti is nothing like Paul at all and Shooti is a lot more better character then Paul never really was to start with,this is the BW series and the DP series will not have anything to do with the BW series,the DP series and BW series is not the same,the Best Wishes series is a new retool of the show.

I'm Glad Bel will make her anime debut.

[/SPOILER]

Oh jesus those made me lol so hard.

I'm getting so tired of this whole,"Shooty's a Paul/Shinji copy","Ash/Satoshi lost to a Newbie", "Dent is a Brock/Takeshi copy" blah blah blah. Shooty is similar to Paul/Shinji in some aspects such as looks and a few attitude problems and what not but, they are not the same person. Like Roark said,"Your battling me not Paul." The phrase holds true to this, Satoshi/Ash was battling Shooty not Shinji/Paul. They are different people and always will be.

The whole,"Ash shouldn't lose to new trainers" argument is so outdated. Ash doesn't have his same old Pokemon these are new one, new ones come because they want the franchise to be new and fresh and fun. If they had Ash keep all his oldies Johto would've never existed and Pokemon would've ended a long time ago. It fun to watch Ash get new pokemon and train them to be their best. About, Pikachu's lose to Janoby, Pikachu got a power down from Zekrom and it was up against a grass type things weren't looking good for it regardless. If you want to blame some one for losing to newbies blame Shinji/Paul's brother for losing to Ash/Satoshi despite being an older teenager.

Dent is his own character he cooks cause he has a gym kitchen just like in the game. Brock/Takeshi on the other hand has been pretty parent like do to taking care of his younger siblings. Dent is smart about gyms well guess what so is Brock/Takeshi and Iris from what we learned, too, to be a good training isn't it good to know about your opponents? Dent and Brock/Takeshi and girls, big difference, Dent attracts girls and Brock/Takeshi runs after them if they met it certainly would be funny but, aside from that I don't see the resemblance.

Nobody said these new characters are exactly the same as the old ones, but they're all rather obvious expies of existing characters.

Iris/Dento feel very similar to Misty/Brock in a lot of ways, and same with Shooti to Paul and Gary.

Of course they're different, but there's a lot of throwbacks this arc to many of the shows older characters, almost as if they're reimagined to new ones.

I know only Pikachu's loss is truly odd, but what's bugging me is that Ash acts like a rookie with inexperienced pokemon, while Shooti is all arrogant with a trained team, and (at least now) seems to act like he's generally more skilled. And looking back at AG and DP Ash is quite the grizzed vet by now. They nerfed ash and pika for AG and DP as well, but it had never been quite as glaring as now,in AG Ash still had to learn stuff, and in DP he improved quickly, and Paul was a veteran as well.

Oh well, I just hope that by end of BW, his old pokemon will come back, and he is handled like a veteran, like DP also did. I know I shouldn't care with a promotion anime like pokemon, which limits certain stuff, but still.. ouch.I LIKED DP Ash.

I assume Ash will get his skills back, its just when he gets to a new land with new Pokemon, its crazy for him. Remember what happened in D/P? Ash kept loosing at the start? I'm sure same thing will happen here. Its worse though this time, cuz at least Ash knew some Pokemon in the other region, no one has even seen a Pikachu in this region before till Ash arrived. So it might take a little longer for Ash.

I should have known I'd be wasting my time with Scott. I'll just say this:

Shooty and Paul have completely different personalities. End of discussion.

I've found little reason myself to compare Paul and Shooti. Their personalities are different. Shooti is a smug bastage but he cares enough to socialize at times and talk smack. Paul didn't do that. He avoided socializing and his remarks to other people were pointing out their incompetence.

However, my problem with how they're handling Shooti is that we're getting a rehash of the rivalry between Ash and Paul. Ash is losing left and right right now. That's a replica of the first season of DP. That's boring. It'd be better if Shooti and Ash had something that made it more interesting, but they don't. The rivalry between Ash and Paul didn't start to ramp up until Ash caught Chimchar at the very end of season 10.

We just came off a season where Ash struggled for 188 episodes to prove to Paul that he was a worthy opponent and lost hard fought battles over and over to reach it. It was a good story, but it's bland to see it all over again. I would've rather seen Ash lose the first battle against Shooti, but then win the second battle with a Pokemon other than Pikachu. The season itself started off with a bad taste because the first battle was basically Shooti taking advantage of an injured Pikachu.

Too bad the writers are too lazy, and go the easy route to make the Ash the underdog again. I would actually like Ash be superior to his main rival for once, and have his rival surpass him in the league instead of the usual route they take. But no.

I really don't get were all this "I'm going to get stronger and beat Shooti" crap is coming from after Ash lost to Shooti. Hello Ash, you could have just used Sceptile, Infernape, or some other powerhouses and you would have won.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom