• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW020: Pikachu VS Meguroco VS Koaruhie!!

I always read that scene as Excadrill noticing that Iris risked her life to save Kibago, which kind of motivated him to finally act since his trainer had proven herself a bit and there was a tough Pokemon on the loose...at least, that's how I see it. This time there wasn't a serious threat, so he didn't feel the need to act.

If that was true, then how come Iris hadn't let him out again until she really needed its help... anyway, it was clear Excadrill only acted because Scolipede kicked it. Otherwise, it would have been happy to let her and Axew get killed.

If that was true, then how come Iris hadn't let him out again until she really needed its help... anyway, it was clear Excadrill only acted because Scolipede kicked it. Otherwise, it would have been happy to let her and Axew get killed.

Excadrill does not talk, Iris may not know, i wouldn't rule it out

I loved this, I cannot remember the last time I laughed this hard at an episode. I have a feeling that the 3 koaruhie and Waruvial have replaced Team Rocket's blasting off position, and we will see them again in later episodes. I do hope Ash eventually catches Waruvial.

Also, I'm very happy that Pikachu learned Electro ball, but I hope it didn't replace Volt Tackle.

I loved this, I cannot remember the last time I laughed this hard at an episode. I have a feeling that the 3 koaruhie and Waruvial have replaced Team Rocket's blasting off position, and we will see them again in later episodes. I do hope Ash eventually catches Waruvial.

Also, I'm very happy that Pikachu learned Electro ball, but I hope it didn't replace Volt Tackle.

Pikachu does forget Volt Tackle, unfortunately.

Then one of the Ducklett stuck its head in Sandile's mouth. Is it really as stupid as it looks? (gotta admit, Ducklett are rather derpish-looking)

Cool seeing that Pikachu got a new move. I like Electro Ball's animation.
Plenty of remixed music: The opening, Rival Battle, Emotion, and the show's theme song itself. So far, the dub has kept all the music, so that last one might stay.
The first battle was cool in its own way (Dragon Sneeze). The last one was not. Sandile was trouncing Pikachu. Then it evolved (cool new evolution animation to boot) and the matched turned in Pikachu's favor.
And then Krokorok blasted off! (I guess someone has to if it's not TR, who were once again absent)

In all, this episode was very random. I really hope Ash gets Krokorok now, and maybe one of the Ducklett if the writers decide to bring them back (It can happen).

Funny episode. And great choice of music. I want to see those ducks again. <3 Same for Sandile...evolved Sandile. (Waruvile or Waruvial? I keep forgetting xD)

Watched the ep, the evolution looks awesome - it's crazy to compare this show's first few episodes to what we get today... so much changed and improved!
I also like that all the BGM is fresh and new, I like most of it so far and hopefully the dub will continue keeping all BGM as it did so far
I started to like Sandile... now I hope Ash catch it, though I also don't want Ash to get too much Pokémon... hopefully it will be Ash's last capture in Unova and then he can constantly switch between them and this way kind of use a team of 8 rather than just 6

Now that I finally had the chance to rewatch this episode, I didn't find it hilarious. It was amusing to say at least, with a plenty of positive points, but it didn't make me laugh out loud or even giggle. (as sad as it sounds) I loved the animation though, especially some hilarious faces of the main cast such as Iris's when Doryuuzu disobeyed again or when Ash was falling through that hole.

I was thrilled to see Iris battle again no matter how silly the battle between Kibago and Zuruggu would turn out, at least she got some attention and screentime. I also hate the writers for making us (me) think the mole was finally going to do something else other than sleeping, seeing that close shot of dead-serious Iris with the poke ball really made me think something was going to happen. And much to my shock, nothing happened. Nevertheless, she got a good amount of screentime along with Dento. Am I the only one who's sick of his Yanappu using Dig all the time?

Ash's mistakes are beginning to bother me a little, are the writers that desperate to advertise the games so they have to repeat the old 'electric doesn't work on ground' rule? Either that or Ash is just really forgettable, hence the fact he might be senile. I suspected that Ash might catch Meguroko due the amount of bond the two developed during the course of this episode, though nothing like that happened. I was also bothered by the fact that Ash didn't give a f*** when Krokorok blasted off - I mean what the hell was going on there? I said it once and I'll say it again; Ash would turn out as a huge douchebag if he actually existed.

On the Koaruhi trio - they were worser than our old comedic Team Rocket would be and I have this feeling they may return. *fingers crossed* I gasped when one of the birds used Steel Wing directly on Ash, Isshu Pokémon are indeed more violent than the previous ones. Ah, not to mention their blank stare... *imagines a staring competition between Ash's Gible and Koaruhi*

And the last but not the least, Pikachu's new move - Electro Ball. It looks cool and all and I'm glad he got rid of Volt Tackle. I hope we get to see some decent combinations, maybe Iron Tail + Electro Ball, everyone? Loved the new evolution effect, I was amazed how it showcased a direct transformation from a tiny Meguroko to a much larger Krokorok.

Overall, it was a great episode just because of the animation, screentime and Pikachu's new move.

Also, Mijumaru really annoyed me in this episode, don't know why exactly though. :/

Last edited:
I was also bothered by the fact that Ash didn't give a f*** when Krokorok blasted off - I mean what the hell was going on there? I said it once and I'll say it again; Ash would turn out as a huge douchebag if he actually existed.

I never understand that part. What was the point of his "blasting off"?

I never understand that part. What was the point of his "blasting off"?
I really don't know. If it had stayed, then many would assume it would follow Ash since it doesn't have any real backstory - it just follows Ash. That is as well one of the main reasons I believe Ash will catch it later.

Unless it forms a gang with the Koaruhi trio. :scared:

I also hate the writers for making us (me) think the mole was finally going to do something else other than sleeping, seeing that close shot of dead-serious Iris with the poke ball really made me think something was going to happen. And much to my shock, nothing happened.

This also irked me. At least we know it still exists.

Am I the only one who's sick of his Yanappu using Dig all the time?

I'm sick of the move in general. :p

Ash's mistakes are beginning to bother me a little, are the writers that desperate to advertise the games so they have to repeat the old 'electric doesn't work on ground' rule? Either that or Ash is just really forgettable, hence the fact he might be senile.

I'll cut him some slack this time because it's possible he didn't know Meguroco's typing due to it being an Isshu native Pokémon.

I hope we get to see some decent combinations, maybe Iron Tail + Electro Ball, everyone?

That would be splendid! :D

I'm sick of the move in general. :p
As am I, I absolutely disliked Ash's Gible knowing the move, I would've much preferred Earth Power, or at least it using it as a ground type move, like Pansage only using it as a defensive move. Which is what's great about Infernape and Sandile, they at least used the move as a ground type attack (instead of a defensive move).

I'll cut him some slack this time because it's possible he didn't know Meguroco's typing due to it being an Isshu native Pokémon.

I have to agree, what some people are forgetting is that Ash sometimes doesn't know everything about every Pokemon.

Take Charizard using Seismic toss on Brandon's Dusclops, I honestly doubt Ash knew it was a fighting type move, since it's typing wasn't mentioned very much at all (only other time it was used was Ash's Primeape in that one episode a long time ago where Primeape barely used it). Also given the fact it doesn't give super effective hits (or resistance I think), one would think Pokemon wouldn't be immune to it, but it was.

Likewise with Sandile and electric attacks. Ash might've known Sandile was a ground type Pokemon before Pikachu used thunderbolt, but it wasn't as apparent to him as it seemed, since he ordered Pikachu to use thunderbolt on it (the first time an electric type move was used on Sandile), and had to go "Sandile being immune because it's a ground type."

I can also see how in the heat of the moment, also caused Ash to slip up.

Ducklett are funny, yet annoying jerks at the same time. They shoot scolding water in Ash's face, then LAUGH? xD Oshawott had its moments too, with throwing it's shell in a fit then going to pick it up.

Sandile is as awesome as ever, and the new evolution animation is pretty fantastic. This episode was pretty good.

Yes. Also, comparing this new evolution and the Axew evolution dream, will we see the new evolution animation or that other one that bored out of me?

I'm pretty sure the fact that they even went to the effort to make new animation for it in the first place means we'll see it again.

"What kind of secret ingredients, what kind of spices will he show in this battle?"
I love you Dento.

I loved the arrangement of "Emotion" that played during this episode. It was very well done.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom