• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW022: Hiun City! Fushide Panic!!

What a nice episode, I loved Pidove's role and evolution, she was so cute. And the first little Venipede that appeared is so cute too, more than Sewaddle :(

I BET MISTY/KASUMI-CHAN WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED

Shhhhhhh! I doubt any kids watching BW even knows about that character. ;)

But yeah, we haven't really had a bug take over before, not that I recall anyway.

Shhhhhhh! I doubt any kids watching BW even knows about that character. ;)

But yeah, we haven't really had a bug take over before, not that I recall anyway.

I started watching at the Battle Frontier. I learned about her pretty quickly :p I wouldnt be surprised with all the reruns in Japan for Pokemon if a lot knew her actually but what do I know I'd have to visit my Japanese friends tee-hee :)

I'm surprised my 9 yearold cousin knew who she was.

The more I watch the scene over and over, it's becoming quite apparent how horribly underutilized Ash's Tranquill was in this episode.

Once Ash ordered a "gust" that was the last scene we saw of her.

It's disappointing how Trip's got more screen time than Ash's. A scene of Tranquill later would've been nice. Seriously excluding the Pokedex entry which doesn't count Ash's Tranquill was roughly on screen for 6-7 seconds for the whole 22 minute episode.

And where was Pikachu during that whole scene too? (not that I'm complaining but it was awkward to not see Pikachu going "Pikachu!" when Pidove begins evolving.

Very cute episode! So much, that I will post up a cute meter (out of 5 *'s) to measure each of the cute events that occurred.

~The Fushide. If only some of them weren't animated in 3-D...but otherwise, those poisonous little bastards are so huggable and squishy looking!(***--)

~Ash making friends with that Fushide was heartwarming! Every time he does something impulsive and stupid "heroic" like that, I gain more respect for him...Poor kid. (****-)

~This:
Poor Ash though, he got hurt twice here ouch, good thing he has Dento here to take care of him.

CILAN FEEDING ASH WHAT IS THIS!? (*****)

~LAMPARA! (which sounds a bit like Camera...Shooti...Hahaha) Dammit, this kid is getting some of my faves. Also, Trip's face is far too pretty (***--)

~Burgh playing the role of pied piper...at this point, I started wondering if I was still watching pokemon. The whimsical melody that followed made me crack a smile and a quizzical look at the same time. (**---)

~Loved the Iris/Dento/Joy battles XD (***--)

~Oh, what's this? Trip actually somewhat caring for the welfare of his fellow trainer for his own selfish gains? Unheard of! :O Loved Ash's face when he thanked Shooti; it looked so naive and derp XP Also, I think that Ash's pidove/Tranquil might become one of my favorites at this point...No real logical explanation, she's just really adorable. Props to the evolving animation too, love the whirling green matter :p (*****)

~This:
What was said at the end when Shooty walked off and Ash made this face?
396-1.jpg

Was it something he said or Shooty said or did Pikachu do something to his back?

^I would like to bring this question up again, if it hasn't been answered. Please and thank you! :D (*******)

Obligatory Shooti rant: (Spoiler'd for redundancy, Paul comparisons and general wankyness)
I really liked Shooti in this episode. I'll try my best not to ramble on with Paul comparisons, but I really think that he's differentiating himself from Paul quite well. He seems to lack any driving motivation or mystery about him that explains his attitude, which may seem bad for some, but I think it's an interesting take. It means that he can be humbled greatly in the future.

Also, I think that the relationship between Shooti and Ash is really one sided...Ash is trying to get Shooti's attention, while he doesn't really respond to it or seem to give a crap because of his superiority complex. While with Paul and Ash, it was a back and forth (with Paul willingly admitting that Ash got on his nerves), Ash seems really...expendable to Shooti. I miss the awkwardly long death stares that Paul gave to Ash whenever they met XD

I mean, right now, the rivalry seems to be revolved around trying to make Shooti give a flying fuck XD There's really not much tension, in my opinion...not yet, anyways. Neither have greatly affected the other just yet.

Regardless, his interactions with Ash are entertaining, if only he gave a bit more...you know? Shooti doesn't seem like the cruel, anti-social type...I mean, his leadership skills are obviously better since he got those kids to form a flamethrower brigade...If he has any quirks, now would be an excellent time to play on them!

Aw darn...I tl;dr'd all over the place :(

I kind of agree with everyone's assessment on Shooty...he's not a character you like, nor is he a character you like to hate, he's just a punk. And the whole camera gimmick is pretty lame as well, considering he really isn't a Pokemon Photographer like Todd...he's just a dude snapping pictures with his cell-hone basically.

Probably uploading it to his Facebook page later too, I bet, after spending a bit of time playing Farmville and taking the "Which Friends Character Are You" personality test.

^LOL! This is exactly how I see him XD

Last edited:
Very cute episode! So much, that I will post up a cute meter (out of 5 *'s) to measure each of the cute events that occurred.

~The Fushide. If only some of them weren't animated in 3-D...but otherwise, those poisonous little bastards are so huggable and squishy looking!(***--)

~Ash making friends with that Fushide was heartwarming! Every time he does something impulsive and stupid "heroic" like that, I gain more respect for him...Poor kid. (****-)

~This:

~LAMPARA! (which sounds a bit like Camera...Shooti...Hahaha) Dammit, this kid is getting some of my faves. Also, Trip's face is far too pretty (***--)

~Burgh playing the role of pied piper...at this point, I started wondering if I was still watching pokemon. The whimsical melody that followed made me crack a smile and a quizzical look at the same time. (**---)

~Loved the Iris/Dento/Joy battles XD (***--)

~Oh, what's this? Trip actually somewhat caring for the welfare of his fellow trainer for his own selfish gains? Unheard of! :O Loved Ash's face when he thanked Shooti; it looked so naive and derp XP Also, I think that Ash's pidove/Tranquil might become one of my favorites at this point...No real logical explanation, she's just really adorable. Props to the evolving animation too, love the whirling green matter :p (*****)

~This:

^I would like to bring this question up again, if it hasn't been answered. Please and thank you! :D (*******)

Obligatory Shooti rant: (Spoiler'd for redundancy, Paul comparisons and general wankyness)
I really liked Shooti in this episode. I'll try my best not to ramble on with Paul comparisons, but I really think that he's differentiating himself from Paul quite well. He seems to lack any driving motivation or mystery about him that explains his attitude, which may seem bad for some, but I think it's an interesting take. It means that he can be humbled greatly in the future.

Also, I think that the relationship between Shooti and Ash is really one sided...Ash is trying to get Shooti's attention, while he doesn't really respond to it or seem to give a crap because of his superiority complex. While with Paul and Ash, it was a back and forth (with Paul willingly admitting that Ash got on his nerves), Ash seems really...expendable to Shooti. I miss the awkwardly long death stares that Paul gave to Ash whenever they met XD

Regardless, his interactions with Ash are entertaining, if only he gave a bit more...you know? Shooti doesn't seem like the cruel, anti-social type...I mean, his leadership skills are obviously better since he got those kids to form a flamethrower brigade...If he has any quirks, now would be an excellent time to play on them!

I mean, right now, the rivalry seems to be revolved around trying to make Shooti give a flying fuck XD There's really not much tension, in my opinion...not yet, anyways. Neither have greatly affected the other just yet.

Aw darn...I tl;dr'd all over the place :(

^LOL! This is exactly how I see him XD

Shooty's basically too cool for a Pokemon battle with Arti and he waits for no one.

Oh my shit your so shippy even when you talk about rivarlies :)

Last edited:
I don't understand, why are people annoyed at Kibago's Dragon Pulse? He's an inexperienced hatched Pokemon that's having trouble controlling a move that's far too powerful for him. Who cares if his expression was similar to Gible's this episode, Pokemon is all about repeats, there's been tons of things that has been done, that hasn't already been done before, so why is it so annoying, that he's actually making progress? Oh, so it wasn't annoying with Gible, because he did it first? At least Kibago's gag isn't as annoying as Gible's Draco Meteor to Piplup's face. Now that was annoying, IMO. Several episodes before, he'd be on the ground writhing in a daze, now its just a minor thing, which shows he's obviously getting better at controlling it and will probably soon master it, so why are people being so pissy about him this episode?

Did I misunderstand something here? It looked like Trip flat out attacked Ash with a pokemon. If this is true, I not only want Ash to beat him, I want him to FLIPPING KILL HIM.

Did I misunderstand something here? It looked like Trip flat out attacked Ash with a pokemon. If this is true, I not only want Ash to beat him, I want him to FLIPPING KILL HIM.

Ash/Satoshi jumped in the damn way. He was trying to stop the Pokemon from terrorizing the city.

No, Trip was trying to attack a Venipede, but Ash didn't want the Venipede to be unnecessarily attacked/provoked, so he jumped in and blocked the attack.

And for those asking what Trip said that made Ash make that face at the end, assuming the translation was accurate from Subonea Masukippa but apparently Trip said something like "I'm going to "Nimbassa City" for a gym because I'm not waiting until Arti/Burgh is ready to battle" or something to that effect.

No. Ash is being his retarded self and jumping in the way of attacks, instead of just ordering Pikachu to deflect it or something with Thunderbolt.

Shooti attacked Fushide and Ash jumps in the way to block the attack. Because he's impulsive like that. Seriously, someone needs to tell this kid to stop pulling stunts like this. After watching it for so many years, it starts to grate on ones nerves, but that's just me.

Oh, ok. I think Ash likes being hit with pokemon attacks, really.

What was up with the new Title Card Music?

They've been using it since the Meguroco Koaruhie episode two episodes back. It's the beginning of the BW Title Screen music, the full length piece played during the battle between Pikachu and Meguroco.

No. Ash is being his retarded self and jumping in the way of attacks, instead of just ordering Pikachu to deflect it or something with Thunderbolt.

Shooti attacked Fushide and Ash jumps in the way to block the attack. Because he's impulsive like that. Seriously, someone needs to tell this kid to stop pulling stunts like this. After watching it for so many years, it starts to grate on ones nerves, but that's just me.

I agree no one ever tells him stop throwing yourself against dangerous obstacles, you idiot. He did it 4 times within the LAST 22 EPISODES!!! And every movie it happens at least 3 times and no one tells him, "hey stupid you're gonna kill yourself" so it continues for another 15 years. It gets on my nerves as well you aren't alone.

I agree no one ever tells him stop throwing yourself against dangerous obstacles, you idiot. He did it 4 times within the LAST 22 EPISODES!!! And every movie it happens at least 3 times and no one tells him, "hey stupid you're gonna kill yourself" so it continues for another 15 years. It gets on my nerves as well you aren't alone.
Glad to see I'm not alone with my thoughts. Which poses another question. Does anyone ever speak up on this? Like the adults or any of his friends? Have any of them ever berated him for doing these things, because honestly, I think Ash needs a good talking to. I understand him loving Pokemon and caring for them and all, but there are so many alternatives instead of just purposely hurting yourself, especially when said alternative is at your side 24-7 (I'm looking at you Pikachu >:|)

Ash knows he's a cartoon character and can take Pokémon attacks without too much harm done to him. It's also a convienent way to show the other person that he's willing to risk his own life for his friends.

And for those asking what Trip said that made Ash make that face at the end, assuming the translation was accurate from Subonea Masukippa but apparently Trip said something like "I'm going to "Nimbassa City" for a gym because I'm not waiting until Arti/Burgh is ready to battle" or something to that effect.

That's a rather jerk-ish move. Even Paul had the patience to wait on Roark when he was digging for fossils.

^i'm guessing that when you consider that Arti got on Trip's case he probably took offense to it, hence why he might not battle Arti.

Probably uploading it to his Facebook page later too, I bet, after spending a bit of time playing Farmville and taking the "Which Friends Character Are You" personality test.

LOL and... we all know he's such a Rachel... He even has a Jennifer Anniston haircut! :p

Only 5 stars... really... I'm disappointed in you!

Who cares if his expression was similar to Gible's this episode

I care. :p

Is it so wrong for people to actually want characters not to be rehashes of each other and actually feel like individuals. What bothered me, and what I guess bothered other people is that at this point, Kibago is not progressing with the Dragon Rage. It's the same animation, same problem each time and instead of... I don't know... training, trying to solve the problem, trying to help Kibago go, Iris is just sitting there, happy that her dragon is defective and not doing shit to solve the situation.

With Gible, there was a will for both it and Ash to get stronger, it led to some interesting interactions between the two, between the gang and their pokémon; it gave us comedy, we saw progress, and it culminated in two League battles. There was that feeling that it was leading somewhere, on top of being funny.

Here, the writers are just attempting to rehash Gible and are failing at recapturing the magic.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom