• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW027: The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!

re: BW 027 "The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!" Review Thread

All in all, I quite liked this episode, but the plot was pretty generic and uninventive. I enjoyed seeing Iris have more of a role, and more development, which hopefully is a sign that there is more to come soon (so far I've found whatever development she has had pretty slow). I'd still like to see her battle a bit more, but now that Kibago has mastered Dragon Rage(?), hopefully she'll be more active. Another positive point was Crimgan (am I the only one who loved its slightly derpy expressions?). TR were also great this episode.

On the negative side, I'm pretty disappointed with Pokabu as it really doesn't show much personality, plus never seems to get a win. Emmy was also pretty dull, but at least it made Iris more likeable in comparison.

I'm welcoming the Iris and Kibago development, but I do worry that Iris's development will be only Kibago-centered, which I personally think would be a shame.

re: BW 027 "The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!" Review Thread

I'm sure the pig will get some more impressive wins down the line. I just hope it get's some more personality. It really didn't stand any sort of chance against Crimgan, nor did any of Ash's other Pokemon...aside from maybe Pikachu.

someone needs to make a .gif of Team Rocket dodging the Dragon pulse.

pleaaaaase!!!!

It's actually Focus Blast from what I heard in the show. If I'm wrong, whatever.

Lol, why the hell was this episode titled Kibago vs Crimgan anyway?

*gasp* I honestly have no idea. I mean, they never once rivaled each other compared to say Emonga and Snivy. *facepalms due to fault*

Pokabu is cute, but I hope it doesn't appears in the next 10 episodes or more, lol

It's actually Focus Blast from what I heard in the show. If I'm wrong, whatever.
Yeah I heard Focus Blast's Japanese name, so I'm assuming that's what it is.

*gasp* I honestly have no idea. I mean, they never once rivaled each other compared to say Emonga and Snivy. *facepalms due to fault*
I honestly think its to entice the audience, to make them watch the episode. Though I am disappointed that there wasn't a battle though seeing as how Tepig lost, I almost doubt it.

@Masurao

It really didn't stand any sort of chance against Crimgan
It only didn't stand a chance because it felt like two people were controlling Druddigon, while Ash only had Tepig.

I'm rather annoyed Tepig lost, if only because if it wasn't for Iris, I feel like Tepig could've won.

I mean I'll admit Druddigon is a raw powerful Pokemon, and if it was Cynthia controlling the Pokemon, even Ash's strongest Pokemon probably couldn't win (unless Ash has a Garchomp). But Emmy didn't seem like much of a trainer, she didn't have a lot of confidence in the battle. And so I was a bit pissed that Iris was giving Emmy confidence which resulted in the win.

Though why they chose Tepig of all Pokemon, I don't know. Personally, I would've rather seen Swadloon and have it lose than Tepig.

Which kind of brings up the question: Why doesn't Ash switch out more often. I mean if we aren't going to see Swadloon or Tranquill for a period of time, why not show a small scene of Ash switching Pokemon?

I mean am I really supposed to believe Ash is going to use Swadloon up until BW033 when Tranquill is being used? Sure Swadloon was seen in the Emolga training episode but even still why wait for the switch up until the very last moment? Or are they not going to show the switching of Pokemon any more? Did they think once was enough, and now who knows what he has on his team, untill he sends it out?

Wow, okay, didn't mean to get too off track, but still Swadloon would've been better than Tepig, especially if there was a loss to be handed to Ash.

They really couldn't end the episode with her and Crimgan on bad terms, so Iris giving her the confidence to win wasn't a big deal. We'll never see her again anyway. When I saw Crigam doing Draco Meteor, and Dragon Pulse in the preview I knew Tepig didn't stand a chance knowing only 3 moves, and that Iris was going to give Emmi or w/e the courage to win. Ash was like whatev's. Pokabu seemed happy after the battle too.

-Iris being ninja for like the whole episode.
-Kibago finally getting Dragon Rage down
-Team Rocket being completely amazing. Dear god, why are you getting this right now?

This was alright, but it was just kinda alright. It's true that we've seen this episode quite a few times before. However, what I think really set it out was how very well handled Team Rocket was in the episode and some full focus on Iris. I mean, this literally was everything I wanted to see from the Rockets since like forever. Being serious, not stupid, but still seeming "human" (for those thinking they were robots) and kicking ass in battle. And I enjoyed the very well-animated focus on Musashi's lips.
I'm welcoming the Iris and Kibago development, but I do worry that Iris's development will be only Kibago-centered, which I personally think would be a shame.
I'm thinking more dragon-centered, but if Kibago is to get to Ononokusu by the end of the series (or whenever we see Iris' village again, I'm assuming around the 8th badge), I'd think that having the main focus be on Kibago would be the point right?

I am glad to see TR remaining competent even though they never truly, "win," so to speak.

As for Iris, I think this is as good as we're ever going to get. She's never going to get a lot of screentime as some of the other characters but as long as she gets one or two eps like this between each Gym its fine.

This episode was absolute perfection for the Rockets. Literally ever single thing they did was what Rocket fans have been dreaming about for years. I can only hope this finally puts an end to any goofy Rocket talk, because if you put black uniforms on them I don't think anyone would say there was any difference.

On the Iris side of the episode, wow, more awesomeness. I love how she helped Emmy train, and we got a great flashback of Iris at her village. It's also nice that Kibago learning Dragon Rage isn't being dragged out any longer.

Damn this show is awesome.

I feel the same.

Best BW episode so far. Even the animation was great.

The only thing that bothers me looking over the pictures is that this episode introduced even more stock-footage into the fold...James' little "attack pose" and Yamask's shadow ball shot I saw, like, five times?

Maybe it's me, but stock shots are really bad in BW, moreso than previous series it seems. The Arti Gym episode, for instance, was unbearable...

This episode was AWESOME
Ninja Iris is Ninja XD --when she was falling down of the cliff i was like, ''yeah, now Ash grabs her'' but NO friggin Ninja Iris BACKFLIPS before hitting the ground, oh and the way she climbed up the cliff was badass too, also, i liked it when she focused and ''heard'' Axew's and Druddigon's Voices, also Mastering Dragon Rage was Awesome, blue fire dragon = WIN

also - Druddigon <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<3

*hurries to catch one*

Anyone else notice how well Zurrugu did in the beginning of the episode? I know the battle only lasted, what, less than a minute? Yet it showed some prowess when it dodged Scratch and used Headbutt. I know it wasn't a very seriou match, but it really does look like our little pantslizard is growing up. ;_;

We hould start picking colleges for him.

EDIT:
rockette.png

Dat quality.

Last edited:

Loved the fluid animation in this one! Seems as though the Roketto Dan was more serious than goofy in this episodes while it was the reverse in BW29...

Did nobody gif the scene of the Rockets dodging Focus Blast?

Meron well get to it when she gets to it. Or maybe someone else will get to it first.

Either way, just be patient.

If the TRio keep using their jetpacks like this, they'll eventually run out of fuel mid-flight and crash into the ferris wheel.

Lol, why the hell was this episode titled Kibago vs Crimgan anway?

Am I the only one who's absolutely not surprised in the least that Kibago didn't battle Crimgan?

I do worry that Iris's development will be only Kibago-centered, which I personally think would be a shame.

Right now, he's developping for the both of them. Iris didn't really contribute to Kibago mastering Dragon Rage in this episode or previous ones. Kibago's growing but it's not translating into developpement for Iris at the moment cause she's not the catalyst.

Though why they chose Tepig of all Pokemon, I don't know. Personally, I would've rather seen Swadloon and have it lose than Tepig.

Because it's a starter and needs to be advertised more?

Though... meh... between a bland boring fire pig and bland boring bug, I'll pick the pig cause it's cuter. The real question is: Why don't they give Pokabu an actual personality so that it becomes interesting, compelling and fun!

If there's any pokémon who should have fought Crimgan, it should have been Zuruggu. It'd have an actual reason for losing besides "This is an Iris episode and therefore Iris has to win some COTD has to fight Iris' battles for her and earn her [Sarcastic Air Quotes]wins[/Sarcastic Air Quotes] for her. Plus... lulziness would have ensued. :p

I can't see why Team Rocket wouldn't have succeeded.

That's not the point Grave-E is making, at least, not how I see it. What I think Grave-E is saying is that in the past, the writers used Team Rocket as a crutch, something to lean on, a handy catalyst to make stuff happen. Whether it be capture/new moves/evolutions/etc. the writers often used TR as a cheap way to make those things happen instead of earning it and showing us some diversity and originality.

Both of which this episode cruelly lacked. Overall, I stand by my earlier assessment that this was a somewhat entertaining, but predictable and cliché episode.

Last edited:

Realistically Iris had nothing to do with Crimgan's strength so I'm hesitant to even call it a win for her. At any rate, at least when (if) they do finally battle, using her own Pokemon, it might be an entertaining one she seems to know dragons moves well enough.

But now that Kibago has gotten that dragon rage stuff out of the way, let's move on to Scraggy learning some new moves!

Last edited:

I really didn't see the Crimgan vs Pokabu an Iris vs Ash battle. It looked like she was just guiding Emmy to help her learn to use Crimgan's full potential.

Also I'm pretty sure that now Kibago mastered Dragon Rage, she do more stuff for now on.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom