• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW027: The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!

re: BW 027 "The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!" Review Thread

It was in an episode not too long ago....

It was in BW028... like Swadloon. It had a loss in BW025 while Swadloon had 2 wins... Sorry, your point?

How was watching Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape interesting, compelling and fun, by your "personality" standards?

Because it wanted to prove itself and overcome his issues that were born fromt the treatment he received from Paul which was compelling, it wasn't afraid to show emotions, be overly joyful/sad/etc, that would be the interesting part, the one which Pokabu isn't doing on a consistant basis. And we got to see different things from Chimchar whereas Pokabu is monotone.

I knew once the summary included Scraggy that it was ONLY going to be in the cold opening of the episode, you know considering we didn't even see it in the preview at all.

Well yeah. It was clear that Zuruggu wasn't gonna stick around, but I would have rather seen him in that battle than Tepig, because overall, he's more personable.

There's always some sort of catalyst of some sort that pushes the plot of the episode further. That's how things are written.

Of course, the point is that the writers were often using Team Rocket has that catalyst so that episodes like this one ressemble dozens of previous episode instead of really standing out or make it feel all that original.

re: BW 027 "The Road to Become a Dragon Master! Kibago VS Crimgan!!" Review Thread

I hope the Rocket Gang invading episodes doesn't happen often. This episode was really interesting though, despite the generic as hell plot with the Rockets. Glad to see Kiba finally master Dragon Rage! That was freaking epic. <3

The Rockets......thank you, writers.

They were like their Pokemon Emergency personas (or at least similar). It was great, because they had their badassness from early BW, yet the emotion from pre-BW.

I didnt see BW29, but the preview made me think they acted like their DP selves, so Im glad that wasnt the case in this ep (but did they act like their DP selves in that...wait wrong thread)

I love it when this show, which is supposed to be set in the Pocket Monsters equivalent of the U.S., gives us telltale signs that it's still a Japanese production. For example, in this episode, Emi does a LOT of bowing for an "American."

garfield15 said:
I think this was still as normal as they are except they didn't crack any jokes. I mean, they still had a mecha, they still had a battle, etc. The only difference I can think of is that there wasn't really any jokes.

So in other words, they weren't themselves. As I've said a million times before, things like "having a mecha" and "battling" has nothing to do with their actual *personalities*. Anyone can own a mecha and/or battle, y'know.

Team Rocket has been used pretty good in Best Wishes as of late, not being lame but with a slight of humor in them and emotion like there old versions. Its really nice to see Iris is getting attention the later half of the series as some said she would.

Wow, Hellion, so even when Iris does do stuff - you're not satisfied? That's exactly the reason why people think you hate Iris.

You may not hate her, but you sound like you do. Just ask yourself one question, when everyone else in this thread (except you) are content with Iris, enjoy her character and acknowledge her focus in the episode and the stuff she did throughout, don't you think it makes you, the only person who disliked the Iris-centered episode, look like a hater?

Its really nice to see Iris is getting attention the later half of the series as some said she would.

Best Wishes is going to go on for over 190 episodes; we're still early in the first half of the series. No real need for the writers to explain everything right away.

Best Wishes is going to go on for over 190 episodes; we're still early in the first half of the series. No real need for the writers to explain everything right away.

What makes you think it's really going to go on for 190+ episodes? I mean Ash is going to be doing most of the stuff. There's no co-star this time around. Having 190 episodes just leaves alot of room for filler.

Because I can't see Generation 5 lasting less than 4 years.

What makes you think it's really going to go on for 190+ episodes? I mean Ash is going to be doing most of the stuff. There's no co-star this time around. Having 190 episodes just leaves alot of room for filler.

There was no co-star for OS, either, and look how long those episodes lasted ...

I'm thinking more dragon-centered, but if Kibago is to get to Ononokusu by the end of the series (or whenever we see Iris' village again, I'm assuming around the 8th badge), I'd think that having the main focus be on Kibago would be the point right?

That's the thing -I have nothing against seeing Kibago develop and grow, especially as I'm starting to quite like Kibago as a character. I just wouldn't want that to happen at the cost of Iris's own personality growth.

Wow, Hellion, so even when Iris does do stuff - you're not satisfied? That's exactly the reason why people think you hate Iris.

You may not hate her, but you sound like you do. Just ask yourself one question, when everyone else in this thread (except you) are content with Iris, enjoy her character and acknowledge her focus in the episode and the stuff she did throughout, don't you think it makes you, the only person who disliked the Iris-centered episode, look like a hater?

What? So Hellion isn't allowed to espress dissatisfaction about a character without being labelled a hater? :/
Besides, just because 'everyone else in this thread' likes Iris (and by the way, much as I quite liked this episode, I can't really say I enjoy Iris's character so far, I'm pretty much indifferent towards her at this point in the series) shouldn't mean he has to.

Because I can't see Generation 5 lasting less than 4 years.

Then it's your opinion...

There was no co-star for OS, either, and look how long those episodes lasted ...

Do you mean Johto or whole OS? Johto wasn't 190+ episodes long and whole OS is based on two different generations. Also, BW is faster paced contrary to previous sagas:

Satoshi's third gym battle in Johto: Episode 43 (OS159)
Satoshi's third gym battle in Hoenn: Episode 40 (AG40)
Satoshi's third gym battle in Sinnoh: Episode 68 (DP68)
Satoshi's third gym battle in Isshu: Episode 25 (BW25)

What? So Hellion isn't allowed to espress dissatisfaction about a character without being labelled a hater? :/ Besides, just because 'everyone else in this thread' likes Iris (and by the way, much as I quite liked this episode, I can't really say I enjoy Iris's character so far, I'm pretty much indifferent towards her at this point in the series) shouldn't mean he has to.
He could at least acknowledge that Iris did something in this episode, rather than call her a bland and boring character for who he just doesn't care (for God knows how many times).

I still dont understand, they become funny right?? Then why did they becomes serious.... i dont understand!!

I still dont understand, they become funny right?? Then why did they becomes serious.... i dont understand!!

I call it "inconsistency". I wouldn't be surprised if they appear in their pre-BW personas again...

One of best episodes in Best Wishes so far.I for once liked how in whole episode Iris was treated like center of attention getting some nice development.Small view in her past and task which was given to her to accomplish as well finally revealing what is her true quest being to become "dragon master"was interesting to see aswell.
Battle between Druddigon and Tepig was rather pathetic but i enjoyed seeing his strength in action with that dragon trainer girl helping Iris to have her Axew finally master dragon rage which looked great in action.

Battle between Team Rocket was definitely one of good things in this episode too showing how they still retained their competence while at same time some of their older characteristics coming out on surface(barring their usual jokes).Ending on having them escaping with jet packs was a plus too.

On a side note judging by Iris revealed goal theory about taking over 8th gym becomes questionable.If Misty is anything to go by and her goal of becoming water pokemon master it showed how it involves traveling to become best one type trainer out there as well existing certain tasks someone needs to pass to achieve this(like Whirl Cup showed).Sure she retook(she was already gym leader) over gym but not because she wanted being forced because of sisters incompetence with writers leaving her goal to go nowhere.

Now with Iris they will probably do better job out of it and define better her goal and judging by Lance being viewed as dragon master some rough picture of what is this supposed to mean exists.
Unless Iris goal doesnt involve same thing as Mistys goal did requiring something different.In that case all bets are still open.

For years and years, Misty is criticized for same reasons. What makes Iris different than her?

Well now Iris fans can see how Misty fans feel when she is constantly being criticized not being given credit where credit is deserved.

Also, because the writers have shown that they were able to go further with sidekicks. I'm not talking about Dawn here since the writers thought of her as a co-star, as Ash's equal, but I'm talking about May and Dento.

You cant put Dento on same level like May was.

She had for start on going quest like Dawn did,several rivals,her own theme song getting a lot more screentime than Brock,Misty,Iris and Cilan are ever going to receive.

You can try to argue how she wasnt co-star in true sense of that word but she surely wasnt sidekick either.She was more like protagonist.

I actually expect the members of the main cast to be entertaining, compelling and proactive,

That is matter of opinion,because i actually find Iris to be entertaining and worth character liking so far her chemistry withing group and her aspirations.

Its a lose-lose situation in here.No matter what Iris does she is going to be viewed by people who dislike her as "useless and boring"character already forming negative prejudices about it.His opinion of her is more or less same like one about redhead.

He could at least acknowledge that Iris did something in this episode, rather than call her a bland and boring character for who he just doesn't care (for God knows how many times).

I agree!

Could we stop discussing whether or not certain people's tastes are correct/incorrect? If someone cannot point out a positive development in a character, that's their views and their opinions.

You are more than welcome to disagree and come up with discussion, so long as it's within the rules. But this thread is about discussing the EPISODE first and foremost.

And also, when discussing your points, please be aware that one's neutrality or bias can be detected, or at least hinted at. If you want to appear neutral, I suggest that you make your posts neutral and non-provocative.

Ah, whatever.

Thank you.

Just ask yourself one question, when everyone else in this thread (except you) are content with Iris, enjoy her character and acknowledge her focus in the episode and the stuff she did throughout, don't you think it makes you, the only person who disliked the Iris-centered episode, look like a hater?

Do you even read my posts ?

My thoughts on the episode was that it was neither good nor bad, but fairly average, because of its overdone and cliché plot (which I wasn't the first one to point out and several people agreed), with its bland COTD (which I wasn't the first one to point out and several people agreed), and where Iris got some much needed focus (which I fully recognized) but ultimately, it felt like Kibago was being developped for the both of them instead of Iris having a character and a quest outside of Kibago (which someone else agreed with).

What I then said after that was that while all of the Iris doing stuff was true, I didn't care about any of it, because ultimately, there's nothing about her personality or her storyline that I really find endearing or compelling, and this episode was my last ditch effort to do so.

He could at least acknowledge that Iris did something in this episode

Iris was doing stuff

There. That's on page 2.

I fully recognized that Iris did stuff in this episode. She had a small battle with Kibago, she removed the binding around Crimgan's leg, she mimed while Ash and Emmy were battling, she ran in the wood and stood on the sidelines of a Rocket battle.

Simply that I'm not seeing anything in there that really screams focus and progression. The reason this is an Iris focus episode has more to do with every other character doing less and having a bland COTD to make Iris look alive in comparaison than it has to do with Iris doing more, taking her own destiny in her hands and taking steps to reach her goal herself. We might know more about her backstory and Kibago might be getting stronger, but it's not translating into Iris growing as a character, becoming stronger, overcoming some personal issues or flaws, etc.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom