• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW036: Fossil Revival! Ancient Mysterious Bird Archeos!!

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
Fossil Revival! Ancient Mysterious Bird Archeos!!
On the way to Raimon City, Satoshi and his friends run into Professor Araragai and Makomo! They're attempting to revive an Archen fossil. How will the bird Pokemon react?

re: BW 036 (039) "Fossil Revival! Ancient Mysterious Bird Archeos!!" Review Thread

I knew it! Seger-hakase is indeed planning something? Right?

re: BW 036 (039) "Fossil Revival! Ancient Mysterious Bird Archeos!!" Review Thread

I knew Tomioka writing this episode meant something for the Rockets! :-D Wonder what energy mission they'll be on now.

Also, thank God for a smoke bomb again.

Anyone knows what was he saying in the end?

I can't get over Makomo's cuteness ;__; <3 The fossil bird was awesome too, so happy I'm training one atm.

Nice if the Rockets are getting new missions again.

Archen was a female! And Stunfisk was.... weird? xD

I hope this means they will soon return to their black uniforms!

I had the very same problem with my Archeos when I used one in my in-game team.

I wanted to use it as my HM Fly-Pokémon but didn't know that it won't learn Fly until it evolves. So I started training the birdie like mad until it evolved. Kinda like in this episode, minus the evolution-inducing drug-fruits of horror.

TR didn't succeed in stealing the fossil bird but at least they burned down the big plant and didn't pseudo-blast off either.
I hope TR stays out of the Don Battle episodes and won't get too much briefing episodes like last time when they've got a "real" mission. I can live without those.

Kinda disappointed by the short Muggyo scene. But, well, at least it appeared at all. Derpy Pokémon are the best!
If only Satoshi would have taken Gamagaru with him ( instead of the asshole-on-legs) his fire fighting attempt might have worked...

I had quite the lol moment following Dent's (or at least I assume it was Dent, the video on Keyhole cut out while the sound kept going) very quiet "It's Sleeping Time!"

Other than that... the episode was okay, I like that something new seems to be on the cards for the Rockets.

* Makomo is high. Typical hippie...
* TR is directly following Seger's orders, in their white uniforms. Then what's the point of their black uniforms?
* So, Archeos is not one of a kind, it's kinda makes his resurrection less important, isn't it?
* Archeos' interaction with Emonga and Maggyo is surprisingly entertaining.

Ah, something interesting for TR again. I wish I knew what was going on. Two of the rotation pokemon are on team now, so who else got Juniper'd? I guess we'll never know since his team seems to change every few episodes.

A new Rocket-Dan mission means less screentime for the trio, which means they'll have fewer opportunities to drag the whole episode down.

Anwyay, this episode was alright. I never noticed how much Archaeos' name sounds like the American pronunciation of Arceus before :p I also loved the mini staring contest it had with Dent's Maggyo.

I didn't really like the deus ex machina ending, though. It's like the writers just said "fuck it" and wrote an ending that even the characters in the show find confusing. There has to have been a better ending to the "there isn't any food around for Archaeos to eat" problem than deciding that, oops, we guess those Archaeos weren't extinct after all! Lazy, lazy writing.

- This episode started completely out of nowhere, in a laboratory near Nimbasa City. Ash and co. have met up with Juniper and Fennel again. It seems that it is customary of BW to just start the plot without going into too much detail with the reintroductions.
- Lenora was mentioned in this episode. She was the one who found the Wing Fossil and brought it to Professor Juniper. It is good to not have one of the gym leaders mentioned again, but to have it fit in with game continuity (Lenora was excavating and searching for fossils in the game as well).
- Fennel seems overly excited about an ancient pokemon being resurrected from a fossil.
- TRio seems to fit the very definition of pocket space. There is no way they can fit a radio transceiver inside that small briefcase of their's, in addition to the other devices they were shown using.
- Archen's screaming somehow causes the seeds, which contain the ancient plant, to cultivate. I don't quite understand how it could be possible. [Is this the subject of lazy writing?]
- Archen knows the following moves: Dragonbreath and Screech.
- Archen expresses difficulty in flying. Ash sends out his Tranquill, and Iris decides to send out her Emolga. Emolga once again uses Attract on any pokemon at first sight, but it seems the Archen is female (Attract did not work).
- Archen pecks Emolga. Emolga uses Volt Change for a quite getaway, and sends out Cilan's Stunfisk. Emolga is still outside its ball and just naps in the tree while Iris is scolding her.
- Even Professor Juniper noted that the Emolga's Volt Change was out of the ordinary.
- Stunfisk's interaction with Archen: Archen and Stunfisk stare at one another. Archen bites Stunfisk's lip. Stunfisk screams in pain and backs away before using Discharge to electrocute Archen. Archen screams yet again, causing the small plants to cultivate into giant branches that are able to bear fruit.
- Cilan and Professor Juniper talk about Ash's amazing ability to encourage any pokemon that comes into contact with him.
- I love how ridiculous this plotline is. Archen's screeching causes the seeds to grow into giant branches. Archen eats the plant and evolves into an Archeops. At the end of the day, Archeops is now able to fly, with no thanks to all of the hard work that Ash and Tranquill provided for it.
- It seems all TRio can say in this episode is, "Interesting."
- Once the Archeops is seen flying around, only then does TRio decide to cause trouble and use their pokemon to snatch it.
- Ash sends out Oshawott AND Roggenrola?! It seems that Roggenrola is yet another one of Ash's "staples." What pokemon did Ash send back to obtain both Roggenrola and Tranquill? Instead of assisting Archeops in fending off TRio, Ash uses the two pokemon to reverse an energy surge associated with the giant plant growing.
- After Archeops was able to break through one of their nets, TRio decided to retreat... yet again.
- More lazy writing. There is a whole GROUP of Archeops that turned out to not be extinct at all.
- Tranquill and Archeops say goodbye to one another, which would be sad if their interaction was much more than the latter learning how to fly in its base form.
- To add up to more lazy writing, TRio reports back to Seger about the energy overflow associated with the Archeops. Seger then gives TRio a new mission. Please don't tell me that their next mission involves fossil and ancient pokemon.
- The subject of Oak's Live Caster is Druddigon.

It was an alright episode. Nothing too out of the ordinary. We saw some rare interactions between Emolga, the Stunfisk, and the Archen. This boring episode culiminated in a lazy resolution (Archen evolving by eating a fruit that was beared from a plant that its screeching caused to grow, while at the same time, learning how to fly.) In addition, TRio (who had an amazing failure track record thus far) was given a new mission. Let's hope the writers keep them busy for a while.

Last edited:

Favorite part of this episode: Seeing that the writers aren't limiting Ash to only having one rotating spot...it's kind of neat because now Ash can pretty much send out any Pokemon he wants and it'll be a surprise, somewhat. A good decision, as opposed to having one spot only.

Also, STUNFISK! But I wish he used Palpitoad here though too...

* Makomo is high. Typical hippie...
* TR is directly following Seger's orders, in their white uniforms. Then what's the point of their black uniforms?
* So, Archeos is not one of a kind, it's kinda makes his resurrection less important, isn't it?
* Archeos' interaction with Emonga and Maggyo is surprisingly entertaining.

I remember someone saying that the TRio in black uniforms symbolizes how they work to please Giovanni when he is present and an active influence. While TRio with white uniforms symbolizes how they act when he is not around and are on their own. It isn't much of a theory, but you can see some of the reasoning.

I enjoyed this episode and I wished the Lenora part was a bit longer, but at least she appeared.~

I'm glad that Hatooboo got some air time...

I really liked how Makomo was portrayed in this episode. Her first appearence wasn't terrible or anything, but while she was cute, she didn't leave much of an impression imo. I think this time around, they did a great job of rectifying that, and the way she acted with all the squeeing and blushing was just how I expected her to be in the first place.

Also, Archen was cute, and the way it flipped out at first was seriously funny. The rest of the episode was a lot more laid back, but it wasn't boring like the previous two weeks have been.

Was an okay episode I guess. I did lol at Oshawotts reaction when he got sent out though. I guess he might be growing on me a bit.

Loved this episode! Archeops is such an awesome Pokemon, and I'm wondering what the TRio's new mission is. Glad to see Tranquil got some air time, and DERP FISH!!!!! Plus my favorite little Sea Otter Pokemon and his reaction was hilarious. BTW is it just me or does Rogenrolla look like a Bob-Omb?

Just finished watching this; it was as good as I thought it'd be! Screentime for a lot of characters, which makes this all the more interesting. Hatoboh, Maggyo, and Emonga finally get some much-needed screentime... memorable screentime (in my opinion). Maggyo, mainly.

Noteworthy parts of the episode...

- I loved Makomo's "three, two, one..." bit.
- Archen smashing into the glass door. Poor guy. XD
- Archen tackling Satoshi as he tried to get it to stomp going crazy. Somehow, as it hit him and fell back, it... fell asleep. Can't say I saw that coming, lol.
- I don't know why, but I really liked the scene with Musashi listening in on Makomo and the group. Zeger contacts them soon after.
- "It's sleeping time..."
- Emonga's Volt Switch dragging out Maggyo, who proceeded to shock Archen and make it angry.
- Hatoboh flying with Archeos.
- Archeos blasting through the electro-net, with the Rockets flying out of its way to avoid the hit. Great scene.
- The Rockets were actually a threat. They did a great job this time around, so as a fan, it pleases me greatly.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom