• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW072: The Fiercely Fought Donamite! Kirikizan VS Enbuoh!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The Fiercely Fought Donamite! Kirikizan VS Enbuoh!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard - Kazuomi Koga
Assistant director - Takaomi Kanezaki
Animation director - Tatsuya Annoura

In the final match of the first round of the Donamite, Bel's Emboar faces off against Shooty's Roubushin. In this exciting battle between the final evolutionary stage pokemon, Bel orders her Emboar to do something unexpected! Later, Kenyan's Dageki goes up against Dent's Yanapp. Can Yanapp's Bite attack turn the tables on Kenyan after being hit by Dageki's Karate Chop? Throughout all this, Masaomi and Nageki continue to advance through the tournament...

- Shooty leaves again? Good riddance. Just means more screentime for the rivals that most of us actually care about. And quite frankly, I'm all for him being fodder with strong pokemon that other characters can beat in order to prove themselves.

- Kenyan interrupting Dent before he could go on another Tasting Time tangent was great. I do feel a bit sorry for Yannapu in any case. He didn't really get much of a chance to defend himself and was utterly slaughtered as a result.
And hey! Someone gets hit by their own pokemon flying in to them.

- I want to see more of the non-gym leader monkey siblings in the future. They didn't really get much here, but the three of them together look like they could make for fun recurring characters.

- What is up with Langley's Kirikizan being in the episode titles for the past two weeks if it's only going to be in battles under a minute in length? Even though Bel got her second win here, this was seriously underwhelming and didn't do either her or Langley any justice imo. Very disappointing.

- Langley and Cabernet sulking in the corner together was funny though.

I think these Don tournaments would definitely benefit from an extra episode. If the awkward pacing with blink-and-you'll-miss-it battles are any indication, then 4 episodes just isn't enough.

what a way to take out Excadrill? wOw! Just loved it! Masomi is the Rival to beat! Even wen I thik that Stephan will take this tournamenT!
Scraggy's Focus blast just floating in the air was sweet! :D
a strong episode! Loved the whole episode!

Too many battles crammed into one episode. Short battles just aren't entertaining as there's no time to build up any intensity in them. This Don tour definitely needed to consist of five episodes.

Dent: It's Tastin-

Kenyan: LOLNO KARATE CHOP

best part of the episode

and LOL Iris was The Worf Effect. It was quite sad though when she commanded Drill Run to a close combat Pokemon...her fate was sealed.

I too was disappointed with how short some of the battles were. The interactions were funny but I think they need to find more of a balance between the two.

I think these Don tournaments would definitely benefit from an extra episode. If the awkward pacing with blink-and-you'll-miss-it battles are any indication, then 4 episodes just isn't enough.

Personally I think they just need to kill off one of the rounds so it's only 8 participants or something. That way there will still be 4 episodes in which to show battles and Shooty won't be able to be one of the participants as better, more enjoyable characters can have the slots.

They technically spent 3 episodes to get R1 over. The character interactions are better than the actual battles, so they need to get rid of some CoTD's.

Edit: beaten

Once again, all three girl rivals just made the episode. All three were funny, especially when Cab and Lang were doing synchronized sulking and Bel and Enbuoh were great in their battle against Shooti. I liked the interactions.

Though, Shooti leaving, meh I don't really care at this point. I hope we see a break the haughty episode somewhere down the line. Rushed and unimpressive battles were rushed an unimpressive. Zuruggu was cute, interrupting tasting time funny, but wow... the other two battles were lackluster.

I was really disappointed at how short the Bianca/Georgia battle was. It was the one I was looking forward to the most. But w/e, at this point if there's another Don Battle...we know what to expect. Good character interactions, and meh battles.

It's great to see Bel battling not only competently, but with confidence. LOL BYE SHOOTI

Kenyan interrupting Dento was just...ahahaha A+++

I'm not a huge fan of the Don Battles overall, but this time around it doesn't seem too bad. I agree with what's been said about the crammed-in battles. Waaaay too rushed :/ It doesn't help when Keyhole skips and you literally miss an entire battle

Langley and Cabernet's interactions are flawless, though. Can the whole episode just be them broing around? I am okay with this!

Emboar using Conkeldurr's pillars to beat him? Genius. Pure genius. I had to say 'ouch' when Pansage was thrown (not thrown, but some attack that I can't remember) at Cilan when defeated. But yeah, I very much enjoyed this episode :)

Haha at Kenyan interrupting Dent's Tasting Time, Kenyan's just full on with attacking. Also I'm a weird person who enjoys it when favourite characters experience pain; I took pleasure in seeing Yanapp knocked into Dent while at the same time feeling sorry for the two of them. I have a rather sadistic mind, but only my mind.

Also, to me, seeing Dent's tasting get interrupted is even more hilarious when you like/are a fan of Dent. By the way (random question) have we ever seen a main character get their Pokémon knocked into them in a battle resulting in a K.O for the Pokémon? I know we've seen this with the old Team Rocket and jerk characters, but I can't remember it happening with the former.

Last edited:
You know, to me, seeing Dent's tasting get interrupted is even more hilarious when you like/are a fan of Dent. By the way (random question) have we ever seen a main character get their Pokémon knocked into them in a battle resulting in a K.O for the Pokémon? I know we've seen this with the old Team Rocket and jerk characters, but I can't remember it happening with the former.

The closest thing I can think of is Ash vs Misty, and Kingler getting knocked into Ash KO'd

Personally I think they just need to kill off one of the rounds so it's only 8 participants or something. That way there will still be 4 episodes in which to show battles and Shooty won't be able to be one of the participants as better, more enjoyable characters can have the slots.

Unfortunately, Ash, Iris, Cilan, Trip, Bianca, Stephan, Georgia, and Burgundy comprise of 8 characters already. Unless you kill off half of them, I don't think any tournament comprising of just these eight will be able to carry itself, seeing as how that kind of tournament would be messed up, since you'd have to somehow believe that these 7/8 people managed to register before anyone else did for a tournament revolving around only 8 characters.

On top of it being only 8 character tournament, means one less battle round. So unless the format of at least one of the battles if not all, is a three on three, I don't know how anything could develop. Scraggy for example, would only have 1 win instead of 2 wins.

Never try to do a tasting towards someone who battles head on.

What I really like about the Donamite compared to the Don Battles is Bel actually getting far in the tournament and not just being used for a running gag. In this one Bel's being used for a running gag and is shown battling a lot which helps balance it out and I like balance.

The closest thing I can think of is Ash vs Misty, and Kingler getting knocked into Ash KO'd
I looked it up and found out it's from "The Perfect Match!" in the Whirl Cup arc. It's hard to remember old episodes so that's why I couldn't remember if this the first time it's happened with a main and any character with a positive vibe as compared to jerky ones.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Ash, Iris, Cilan, Trip, Bianca, Stephan, Georgia, and Burgundy comprise of 8 characters already.

As I said earlier it would mean that Shooty doesn't have to appear so that's one done. I'd also throw out Kenyan (sorry Yoshi-san :p) because the joke is just getting old and the COTDs seem to have more personality. So you have the three interesting female rivals that almost everyone seems to like in some way and 2 COTDs to spice things up. Almost no one is gonna miss Shooty.

On top of it being only 8 character tournament, means one less battle round. So unless the format of at least one of the battles if not all, is a three on three, I don't know how anything could develop. Scraggy for example, would only have 1 win instead of 2 wins.

It would however mean that that one win gets to be a decently paced battle unlike the second battle which is only a minute long, which coincidentally was the case today. For me personally I'll take quality over quantity anyday.

That was this episode's massive negative point; minute-long battles which barely even showed the Pokémon at all.

*Ouch*
17p9w7.jpg

Stop glaring.
2h3nf9y.jpg

Most of the battles in this episode were understandably rushed as hell, which would have been alright if the majority of the characters who were left in the tournament weren't powerful battlers in other episodes. For example, Trip's Conkeldurr was wiping the floor of Bianca's Emboar in the previous episode, yet it was defeated by that pokemon in two hits. These semifinals were meh. Once again, this episode's title is named after a battle that is not really the longest to resolve nor is it the main focus of the episode.

As I said earlier it would mean that Shooty doesn't have to appear so that's one done. I'd also throw out Kenyan (sorry Yoshi-san :p) because the joke is just getting old and the COTDs seem to have more personality. So you have the three interesting female rivals that almost everyone seems to like in some way and 2 COTDs to spice things up. Almost no one is gonna miss Shooty.

If the writers were planning to make a tournament in the future, it would be better to just get rid of Iris and Cilan altogether. They aren't competing in the Unova League and most of their pokemon already have a lot of screentime as it is. Trip should have more focus in up-and-coming tournaments because he has been established as Ash's main rival in the series from the get go, even if he has lost in some of his most recent appearances. We never really had a chance to go into more depth in Ash and Trip's rivalry because the writers focused on some of the other characters throughout these tournaments.

Last edited:
- What is up with Langley's Kirikizan being in the episode titles for the past two weeks if it's only going to be in battles under a minute in length? Even though Bel got her second win here, this was seriously underwhelming and didn't do either her or Langley any justice imo. Very disappointing.

THIIIIIIIS. Dang writers, get it together.
Pretty decent ep otherwise though.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom