• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW079: Sekka Gym Battle! Ice Battlefield!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Sekka Gym Battle! Ice Battlefield!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard - Takaomi Kanezaki
Assistant director - Tetsuo Yajima
Animation director - Mizuho Tajima

Satoshi enters the icey battlefield of the Sekka City Gym to fight for his seventh Gym Badge! The first pokemon he sends up against Hachiku's Ice-Type Vanirich is...Warvuil!? The Dark-Type pokemon sustains quite a bit of damage, so Satoshi recalls it and sends out his Fighting-Type Zurug. Later, Hachiku sends out his Tsunbear. Does Waruvil have what it takes to defeat an opponent it's weak against?

It was a great battle! But I missed something! The final punch Krok was giving to Beartic wasn't convincing to me!
Scraggy's focus blast coming back as a boomerang LOL!
Pignite's win and lost were both convincing!
It was one of the better GL battles! After Clay and Skyla TOP!

Zuruggu :3 why are you so cute? I liked the gym battle, I thought there were good strategies on both sides, but I wasn't wowed by it. Chaobu has personality now... ish. Also, shocker, Iris actually looks like she's friends with Satoshi and cares what happens in the battle, we need more of this cause she was actually somewhat likeable in this episode and wink wink foreshadowing. Hachiku was kinda bland.

Good episode, but my interest kinda diminished after Zuruggu got knocked out.

Which events? Who battled who in the gym battle? I mean which pokemon against which pokemon, and who lost and won.

Which events? Who battled who in the gym battle? I mean which pokemon against which pokemon, and who lost and won.

Krokorok vs Vanillish - Krokorok is recalled.
Scraggy vs Vanillish - Scraggy wins.
Scraggy vs Cryogonal - Cryogonal wins.
Pignite vs Cryogonal - Pignite wins.
Pignite vs Beartic - Beartic wins.
Krokorok vs Beartic - Krokorok wins.

I am glad Scraggy finally got a win, but I am not too impressed with this gym battle, other than Ash copied Bianca.

For being featured in the episode title, the "ice battlefield" really didn't play a role in the battle, did it? I would have thought Charbu would have melted something, or Satoshi's pokemon would have had trouble keeping their balance on the ice, but nope!

This battle could have taken place anywhere, really, and nothing would have been any different.

Ash...remembered an old battle in the series and used that strategy to win? Writers, what do you think this is, Diamond and Pearl?

With Krokorok arming himself with Stealth Rock, I wish they would've used Beartic's Pokedex entry mentioning how he's capable of forming claws and fangs to fight with.

I thought this episode was good. It didn't have an evolution and Satoshi was using his head. I really liked when Satoshi and Waruvile had their little firing up(?) speech before battling Tunbear.

Certainly not a gym battle I'll distinctly remember but it wasn't of low quality like some of the previous ones have been this saga.

The gym battle was decent. I am a little disappointed that Ash's Scraggy somehow perfected Focus Blast without any supplemental training, but I am not expecting any real training sessions in BW after all this time.

Ash...remembered an old battle in the series and used that strategy to win? Writers, what do you think this is, Diamond and Pearl?

Surprisingly, that seems to be the case, though I don't think Ash's Krokorok actually learned the Fling attack.

With Krokorok arming himself with Stealth Rock, I wish they would've used Beartic's Pokedex entry mentioning how he's capable of forming claws and fangs to fight with.

That was Stone Edge. Ash's Krokorok can't use Stealth Rock.

Fun gym battle. Aside form Brycen, I thought everyone was decently enjoyable in this episode. I liked Ash's quiet little "yoshi" when he started his strategy. Oh, and foreshadowing the Ash/Iris/Drayden stuff was nice too I suppose.

Iris looked pretty nervous at the ending shot there, she obviously knows Drayden is there and that he's gonna rip into her about what a terrible job she's doing with Kibago.

It was decent, but no more than that. The battles in the previous episode (Poacher one) were better than any of the battles here. In addition, the croc needs a new move as its current moveset is boring as hell. It was better than the first four gyms in this region though, I'll give it that.

And leave it to Kibago/Axew to go insane of happiness whenever Zuruggu/Scraggy comes into play. :3

So, the battle was... okay. Satoshi/Ash was actually playing to weaknesses for the most part here. The main thing that bugged me was that Tsunbear/Beartic hadn't taken any damage whatsoever prior to the final match, while Waruvile/Krokorok had taken a fair bit from the start of the match. Other than that, it was a good enough fight.

Nice battle + I thought both Iris and Axew looked pretty cute in their "winter outfits" or whatever you'd call it XD

Ash...remembered an old battle in the series and used that strategy to win? Writers, what do you think this is, Diamond and Pearl

Exactly what I thought when I watched it! BW is getting better and better with every ep lately, and with the known upcoming events it'd get even better...
I'm almost regretting saying everything I said about the BW series - I'm really enjoying it recently...

Oh, and Iris' reaction to Opelucid? Misty - enough said XD (but I like it and what we might have with Iris once they get there, which will probably take a while after the whole East Unova arc)

Nice battle + I thought both Iris and Axew looked pretty cute in their "winter outfits" or whatever you'd call it XD

Ash...remembered an old battle in the series and used that strategy to win? Writers, what do you think this is, Diamond and Pearl

Exactly what I thought when I watched it! BW is getting better and better with every ep lately, and with the known upcoming events it'd get even better...
I'm almost regretting saying everything I said about the BW series - I'm really enjoying it recently...

Oh, and Iris' reaction to Opelucid? Misty - enough said XD (but I like it and what we might have with Iris once they get there, which will probably take a while after the whole East Unova arc)

yeah that reaction is priceless. But is it for certain that they won't do the 8th gym until after the east Unova arc?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom