• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW082: Movie Showdown! Sortie, Isshu Defense Group!!

*watching awesome ep again, gets to the scene with Ash and Iris eating Hamburgers*

Smile2.png

Awww...that's a cute little scene.

.....Wait a second.....

....eating hamburgers....

Gasp.png

Ash, Iris, you're monsters!

In the world of that movie it does.

Also, they're probably referring more to the military units in sentai shows like Ultraman.

Best. Episode. Ever.

The Zorua MGM logo had be laughing so hard I thought I was broken and my dog was barking at me because she thought I was in pain. Cilan going OTT like that was always hilarious and Meloetta is absolutely adorable.

Best. Episode. Of. Best. Wishes.

Cilan was a little mean making Iris cry for making her think about being separated from Axew XD
It wasn't mean at all. Having studied drama myself, it's a very common technique that actors use to help them emote - they remind themselves of a time in their lives where they felt that same emotion, or a situation where they would expect to feel those emotions to help bring them to the surface. It's called "Emotional Memory" and was first employed by Constantin Stanislavski, who you could say is the father of naturalistic acting.

I honestly loved that Cilan brought it up; it helped make the episode feel a lot more genuine to me.

Last edited:
@Joshawott Really now? I had a lot of problems with this episode.

First of all the movie itself was pretty awful and amateurish. Guess they were trying to make it realistic but the audience liked it. The pacing was pretty awful the audience wasn't even introduced to Golett before making its sacrifice. "Cilan: I'm gonna take all the pokemon all the pokemon (all the pokemon are in the same spot and get taken dispite habitat errors)" comes to mind. It was a bit rushed I know it had to be by nature but when you're given a small amount of time you have to structure it differently so it doesn't appear rushed.

It is unrealistic and unrelateable. I didn't enter contests all the time or knew how to operate a green screen how can luke given the short term of the pokemon world's education system a no supervision with the expensive machinery how can pokewood stay in business again? I'm gonna assume that Luke is loaded and went to film school. How often did you perform in front for adults as kid that wasn't part of some class day care or school program? For me it is fucking zero am I just weird? Is this a cultural difference can't be cause they dropped a lot of the Japanese festival elements from way back in OS. I know they did this in pokemon before but I can't swallow it. You may say it is fiction yes but fiction has rules and mechanics that for the most part THEY EXPLAIN. For instance in fiction people are supposed to act like people even if magic exists and if it is not it is short and used for comedy NOT THE PREMISE OF A FUCKING EPISODE. Besides a lot of people act just as spastic as Cilan

Ash pointed out the problem with the episode in the beginning of the fucking episode. He said that he didn't care about Luke cause it is unrelated to his goal and if the character doesn't care WHY SHOULD THE FUCKING VIEWER.

The hamages got a little old and too many of the titles had the word pokemon in it. And Luke broke the golden rule DON'T REMIND PEOPLE ABOUT GOOD MOVIES IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR BAD MOVIE. Also Ash knows about a Unovan movie doesn't that contridict Ash knowing nothing about the new region and the pokemon that reside their.

Honestly the only thing I LIKED about this episode was that it introduced Meloetta's ability to turn invisable which would explain how it can travel with ash without causing a shit storm everywhere it goes.

That was tiring.

@Alphaphlare; Did you honestly expect the movies to be good? I certainly didn't. The point of the episode wasn't the movies themselves, it was making the movies. But hey, it was better than their last one. And of course it's amateurish - it's a theme park built into a film studio. They aren't going to give their big budget stuff to kids. As for the pacing, I never once believed that was the entire film - that they were only showing highlights for the sake of the time slot of the actual episode (so in-universe, the audience would have seen the entire film).

Are you seriously questioning how Luke could have his knowledge of films at such an age in a show where ten year olds are allowed to travel entire regions on their own by foot for the purpose of capturing Pokémon and making them fight for sport?. We know nothing of Luke's history - maybe he has a parent or older relative in the industry? You never know. We also know nothing of the Pokémon World's education system.

Also, it was never stated when Ash saw "The Dirty Herdier". It could have been during his Unova adventures, but off screen. As for Ash not caring at first - he's always been that way. If he's in a town or city with a gym, he's always wanted to go there right away. He relented because both Cilan and Iris wanted to go to Pokéwood; he's also thinking of his friends as well as himself.

I think you need to take a step back and stop over-analysing the show. It's light entertainment for children - and the added knowledge about green screens and acting techniques that were demonstrated in it are pretty educational (and the green screens are also a reference to the feature in Black 2/White 2, which has you battling a green screen during Pokéwood).

@Alphaphlare; Did you honestly expect the movies to be good? I certainly didn't. The point of the episode wasn't the movies themselves, it was making the movies. But hey, it was better than their last one. And of course it's amateurish - it's a theme park built into a film studio. They aren't going to give their big budget stuff to kids. As for the pacing, I never once believed that was the entire film - that they were only showing highlights for the sake of the time slot of the actual episode (so in-universe, the audience would have seen the entire film).

Are you seriously questioning how Luke could have his knowledge of films at such an age in a show where ten year olds are allowed to travel entire regions on their own by foot for the purpose of capturing Pokémon and making them fight for sport?. We know nothing of Luke's history - maybe he has a parent or older relative in the industry? You never know. We also know nothing of the Pokémon World's education system.

Also, it was never stated when Ash saw "The Dirty Herdier". It could have been during his Unova adventures, but off screen. As for Ash not caring at first - he's always been that way. If he's in a town or city with a gym, he's always wanted to go there right away. He relented because both Cilan and Iris wanted to go to Pokéwood; he's also thinking of his friends as well as himself.

I think you need to take a step back and stop over-analysing the show. It's light entertainment for children - and the added knowledge about green screens and acting techniques that were demonstrated in it are pretty educational (and the green screens are also a reference to the feature in Black 2/White 2, which has you battling a green screen during Pokéwood).

When they take as much screen time as they did the quality becomes that of the episode.

I gave a huge explanation on WHY I'm allowed to do that legitmently didn't I?

Still makes my point valid which is a point made by alot of MS3K esk internet personality whatever reason Ash has for saying it doesn't nullify my point in the slightest. A when Ash saw it well he said that to Iris which shows she wasn't there so take that for what its worth.

Over analysis for me is passive analysis. So take that for what its worth as well.

Let's tone it down here and not tell other people how to watch a children's television show, alright?

Saw this episode earlier today with my sister and loved it. Little things like Iris going "Is this gonna make it resemble flying?" and them doing voice-dubbing was really fun to see included in there. Also, the Zorua!MGM logo was hilarious.

Okay, it's been almost three weeks since this ep aired in Japan, and there's somethng I've been wondering about that hasn't popped up in any discussions or synopses:

From the screencaps, I can figure that Cilan plays the bad guy (again), and Ash is a heroic fighter pilot. What is Iris' character, and what's with Zorua playing her twin?

What is Iris' character, and what's with Zorua playing her twin?

Iris is the island's miko, aka sort of like a priestess. I'm assuming Zorua is her twin as a proof of her power I guess idk.

But it's her ~love~ for Gobitto that uh... resurrects Goloog or something.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom