• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW085: Sing, Meloetta! The Melody of Love!!

re: BW 085 "Sing, Meloetta! The Melody of Love!!" Review Thread

not sure if i should ask this but does anyone know when this ep will be online

What did Axew's Giga Impact look like?
Sorta like a silver-y Super Saiyan-ish thing ^^

-This episode was pretty audino, just okay and decent for me. I mean it had its good moments, mainly thanks to Iris. But, nothing huge really stuck out to me as whole tbh.

-Oooooh, Iris. She had a lot of swag this episode. I like how she is all embarrassingly fangasming over Gabias and Shirona, and she finally builds up the courage by the end of the episode to ask Shirona for a battle. I like it so much because it shows she's trying to work toward her Dragon Master goal by facing off against a powerful Dragon-type Pokemon, it shows she wants to become a Dragon Master, she wants to get better, she wants her Kibago to get stronger, and I personally couldn't be happier. From the opening it looks like Kibago will be used in the World Tournament and Dento will use his Maggyo(at least once) and Satoshi his Pikachu. I'm so glad Kibago learned Giga Impact hopefully it doesn't get Outrage treatment. Oh, and I guess it's okay Kibago learned Giga Impact, I mean he has seen many Pokemon use it along with Shirona's Gabias's D-Rush, so it should be okay he learned it. Just like it's okay that Zuruggu learned Kiai Bullet and Hi Jump Kick from "seeing Zuruzukin use it". I liked the heart-to-heart moment between KibaAi. At least we have someone getting development in their goal. At least Shirona went easy on Kibago, so the two super effective hits survival feels less forced. Oh and commentary by Gotpika during the battle enjoy :p

"iris idolizing Shirona, lol"
"Duragon Masutaa!"
"training"
"Hello, Cynthia I wanna be troll'd :p"
"Axew uses scratch, totally calling bullshit if Garchomp is even hurt by a lowly scratch"
"nice animation"
"it's hurting Garchomp :O"
"....or not"
"That attack didn't do shit it was like a massage to garchomp"
"Dragon Fail doesn't even bother Garchomp"
"Iris and Kibago HEART TO HEART MOMENT!"
"silver aura?! dfjfodjnaodsjnlkjnjl"
"DRAGON RUSH BGDFJUIFDJUOJN!"
"SUPER SAIYAN!"
"It damages Garchomp!"
"Oh wait....troll'd again Garchomp gets right back up with no prob"
"Da fuq? ujjkdsklfdsknjsf PLEASE DON'T BE ANOTHER UNCONTROLLED/FAIL ATTACK"
"Axew is gonna get skewered ;_;"
"Oh I knew Cynthia wouldn't kill the lil guy ^^;; a light tap finishes Axew off."
"DRAGON MASUTAA TRAINING DEVELOPMENT FTW!"

-Shirona, I liked seeing her. It kinda felt like she just had Glacia just "because" I mean it didn't do really anything that couldn't have been done with any Ice-move. Oh, well I liked seeing an older Pokemon and Shirona's Ice Cream obsession continues. She luvs her some Ice-Cream. Oh, well at least it's cute, here's hoping it battles in the World Tournament Exhibition match. I liked her new outfit too. Her moments with Iris and being idol to her where superb, especially when Iris is all glow-y eye'd.

-Meleotta, she was nice. But she didn't do much either, aside from play the victim role. Oh, well it was a nice set-up for her I guess. Mijumaru you perv, you're an awesome perv at least. Fawning over a sick girl on the ground :p

-Mijumaru and Emonga bitch fight wasn't all that amusing imo, but it was a nice moment.

-Satoshi, I liked how he pointed out Shirona and knew who she was was. Hopefully this is the start of something new, I look forward to seeing him train his Pokemon and Warubiru's evolution.

-Dento, he didn't do much. But, I at least liked the moments he had with Iris and finding the plant as well as the Tsunbear Ice Cream.

-Hikari! Pochama!

Last edited:

not sure if i should ask this but does anyone know when this ep will be online
You can't legally watch these eps online outside of using Keyhole. So yeah, you can't really ask that. :V

ive got news for you using keyhole is the same as watching them online so yeah thats still considered stealing

ive got news for you using keyhole is the same as watching them online so yeah thats still considered stealing

No, it's not. Keyhole is a government backed program that people can legally use to watch Japanese TV.

Not everything you can watch online is stealing.

This thread isn't about how to watch the show, so let's get back on topic.

Enjoyable episode. Axew's random heightened endurance was a bit...silly, but it didn't really take away from the overall episode. I guess I've gotten so used to Pokemon's random power-ups/evolution's with little to no training this season it's like w/e. Lol, @ everyone seemingly thinking Axew was going to die, before Cynthia/Garchomp stopped their attack right at Axew's face ending the battle. It's not like Axew would have died or anything.

Iris' nervousness around Cynthia was rather cute. It was nice seeing Dawn again as well. Did Ash mentioned he traveled through Sinnoh to meet Cynthia? If not, I guess they'll mention that when Dawn comes around.

Last edited:

Yeah, this just sets a bunch of junk up, so not much for me to say. I would've commented on Garchomp vs. Axew, but evidently, even new super mega awesome attacks can't affect it. I kinda like it's "Tag, you're dead" with Dragon Claw. So anyone can enter the tournament, eh? Dag, it really is just a bigger scale Don battle. Oh well, the more filler, the more chances they have.

It's about time Axew learned a new move, and a very powerful one at that, too. I'm surprised that Axew lasted as long as he had against Garchomp considering that the latter pokemon singlehandedly defeated pokemon belonging to E4 members. Overall, this episode was average, and all it did was establish the main plot of BW Season 2.

I think Giga Impact was just a bad choice; we've barely seen Imperial Wrath be used and they are two very powerful, physical moves that will likely be used in a similar way with their drawbacks.

Also doesn't really help that Giga Impact gets a lot of use in the Anime already.

This battle proved only one thing: Shirona and her Garchomp have weakened tremendously after the Sinnoh. Because it is no way that such a loser like Iris and her pathetic Axew could whistand an attack form Garchomp. This battle proved me only one thing. Shirona will lose and will lose very soon. We'll see a new champion appearing who is far stronger than her. I am quite disappointed.

I only saw the first half of the episode and may be wrong about this, but I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get to hear any pre-BW / non-movie music in this.

I have to know, what were Ash's initial reactions throughout the episode? Please give me details

Did the subject of Ash's travels in Sinnoh come up?

And if it did, did they once again treat the situation like Iris and Cilan already knew that?

Alright, now I've realized the downside to having old characters return in this series. Mix in BW's bullshit mechanics with the pre-existing canon that was easy to discard/disconnect from this series makes BW's bad writing decisions even more painfully obvious.

Like seriously, if they didn't establish that Cynthia's Garchomp was going easy on Axew, then this entire battle was a farce, because Axew shouldn't have lasted more than a second in there, much less actually land significant blows on Garchomp. Because now painful reminders of DP rise up from this, like how four of Paul's well-trained Pokemon (besides Chimchar, I guess) couldn't last nearly as long against Garchomp... but somehow this babby Axew who's done jack and shit for 40 episodes not only holds its own far longer than it had any right to, but learns yet another stupidly overpowered move. Honestly, what the hell?

Would it have been that hard for Cynthia to squash Iris in a second, and spend the rest of the episode doing a training routine that enables Axew to learn this move that is still way far out of its league (WHY THE HELL CAN'T IT JUST LEARN DUAL CHOP?)? Because that at least would have, y'know, contributed to what barely constitutes as a story for Iris and Axew. And naturally, because Axew learned a new stupidly powerful move before a major tournament, someone's going to suffer a bullshit loss from Iris whom I predict won't use any actual strategy to win because she has all this raw power at her disposal.

I pity whoever is going to be going up against Iris. Unless it's Trip.

Pokemon series really became pathetic. I thought maybe something will change in B2W2 but we saw another stupid nonsense crap. I am disappointed.

I have to know, what were Ash's initial reactions throughout the episode? Please give me details

Did the subject of Ash's travels in Sinnoh come up?

And if it did, did they once again treat the situation like Iris and Cilan already knew that?

I think Ash was all "OMG IT'S CYNTHIA" and then Cilan said something like "Wait, Ash, YOU KNOW THE SINNOH CHAMPION?!"
So it seems like Iris and Cilan either didn't know Ash was in Sinnoh or at least never heard that he met Cynthia there

This battle proved only one thing: Shirona and her Garchomp have weakened tremendously after the Sinnoh. Because it is no way that such a loser like Iris and her pathetic Axew could whistand an attack form Garchomp. This battle proved me only one thing. Shirona will lose and will lose very soon. We'll see a new champion appearing who is far stronger than her. I am quite disappointed.

1. BW have not-as-good writing as DP
2. Cynthia's previous battles were supposed to symbolise how awesome she is and in her battle against Paul how wrong Paul is, while this battle was supposed to emphasize Iris' potential as a Dragon Master - the writers are doing things the way it's convenient for them to be at the moment

Last edited:

It's obvious that Shirona was extremely easy on her. She didn't even attacked Kibago for most of the match.

From what I can tell, I'm just hoping that the battle was a "go easy on the baby dragon." Being a Paul-fan, it would have been an insult seeing the Pokemon with nearly 0 training do a better job against Garchomp. I mean its a beast taking out 4 of Paul's Pokemon, Lucian's Bronzong, Flint's 3 Pokemon that were used against it in the last episode of DP, numerous Team Galactic Pokemon and the list goes on.

Being the character that she is my guess is that Cynthia saw how much Iris seemed to admire her and agreed to a match. So, I'm hoping that she held back purposefully to see what Iris and Axew were like as a team; how compatible they were, Iris' battle-style (which is basically not a strategy at all), Axew's strength, etc. I'm guessing that on an unspoken term between Cynthia and Garchomp that they would hold back. I mean I'm sure that Cynthia has been up against Pokemon that were way weaker than her and didn't want to squash them in an instant.

I'm looking at it this way; if she battles a fan that looks up to her for whatever reason, she would know simply beating them that quick would probably do more harm than good. Some would take the defeat and grow from it but most would probably quit thinking that they have no talent or future as a trainer. That's why I'm thinking she went EXTREMELY easy on Iris.

This is me being completely optimistic because I know BW has bad writing, but I just hope they know better than to screw with awesome DP-era characters (minus Ash...)

I don't think they mentioned she was going easy on Kibago (not sure, my Japanese isn't too good and Keyhole's audio does not help), but I think it should be pretty obvious. If Shirona sees a trainer with a baby dragon all eager to fight, she's not gonna beat the crap out of her and say she went easy on her. That would be unnecessary and rude. Besides, Gaburias looked more annoyed than hurt.

The battle didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, the only things that upset me about this episode were the boring-as-hell TR and Mijumari falling in love again, but maybe that's just because I find Mijumaru boring as well.

Like seriously, if they didn't establish that Cynthia's Garchomp was going easy on Axew, then this entire battle was a farce, because Axew shouldn't have lasted more than a second in there, much less actually land significant blows on Garchomp. Because now painful reminders of DP rise up from this, like how four of Paul's well-trained Pokemon (besides Chimchar, I guess) couldn't last nearly as long against Garchomp... but somehow this babby Axew who's done jack and shit for 40 episodes not only holds its own far longer than it had any right to, but learns yet another stupidly overpowered move. Honestly, what the hell?

Would it have been that hard for Cynthia to squash Iris in a second, and spend the rest of the episode doing a training routine that enables Axew to learn this move that is still way far out of its league (WHY THE HELL CAN'T IT JUST LEARN DUAL CHOP?)? Because that at least would have, y'know, contributed to what barely constitutes as a story for Iris and Axew. And naturally, because Axew learned a new stupidly powerful move before a major tournament, someone's going to suffer a bullshit loss from Iris whom I predict won't use any actual strategy to win because she has all this raw power at her disposal.

[MENTION]Sinneth[/MENTION], you don't know how right you are! This battle indeed was a farce and insult to every Cynthia fan and, above all, to me as her biggest admirer. As the President of the Cynthia Club I refuse to let this awfully painful and poor writing destroy Cynthia's glorious reputation, I simply won't let that happen!! Isn't it already bad enough that ever since BW started the quality of Pokemon has steadily been going downhill? And now it even looks like they're not even sparing wonderful characters from the good old days and trying to drag my beloved Cynthia into this mess, too. It's hard to find words to express how outraged I am.
First, with Glaceon they gave Cynthia a random Pokemon although she only deserves the most extraordinary ones. So, having the nerve to give the best of all Champions an ordinary Pokemon just because they apparently needed it as a plot device is simply outrageous! And, to make thing worse, they actually had that tiny little inexperienced Axew hold its own against two of Garchomp's attacks. Sad, implausible and unacceptable!
But definitely the height of cheek was when the writers were pulling another DEM strategy out of the hat by having Axew learn a ridiculously powerful move and hit Garchomp with it. :sayan:

Writers, as far as I'm concerned you can continue with that mess called Pokemon BW and destroy everything you've so carefully built up over the years, but take your hands off Cynthia! I swear you, writers, you better redeem Cynthia in the World Tournament or I promise that all hell will break loose.

By the way, did the episode say anything about Cynthia being in the next one as well? There are no signs of her in the preview, you know.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom