• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW 108: Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS Pikachu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of reasoning, the finishing position is a deliberate choice - otherwise why have two rounds of COTD battles after Trip when all they serve is to bump Ash's final spot up?

Assuming there's logic to it other than picking a number, Ash having a worse finishing position than the previous league can only mean one of two things, Ash didn't do as well at training for the league or the competition was much stronger. Otherwise consistent writing should mean that someone just as good doing the same thing again should achieve similar results.

They skipped two battles just to bump Ash up a rank. If they didn't care about his rank he could have come in the Top 16 again.

Also everytime a league ended, they would purposely have Brock state to the audience what rank Ash got. When Ash lost to Tobias, Brock said, "This is the first time Ash has made it to the Top 4," as if the writers wanted everyone to know that.

Granted I could see them rushing the Virgil battle into this ep, assuming Pikachu Vs. Lucario ends after the first 5 minutes. The Virgil match would be rushed like hell, but I wouldn't put it passed the writers.

Granted I could see them rushing the Virgil battle into this ep, assuming Pikachu Vs. Lucario ends after the first 5 minutes.
The title, summary and preview all imply that the remainder of the Kotetsu battle will take up more than five minutes. I don't see why there wouldn't be hype about Ash battling Virgil.

Also everytime a league ended, they would purposely have Brock state to the audience what rank Ash got. When Ash lost to Tobias, Brock said, "This is the first time Ash has made it to the Top 4," as if the writers wanted everyone to know that.

Maybe they'll have Ash at least acknowledge that he did worse, so as to establish some sort of continuity.

All I know that Ash will be finished after he lose to Kotetsu !
It was harder to redeem Ash by letting him win the league (Unless its a big win) after Junior Cup and Trip But now its IMPOSSIBLE .
No Matter what happen in a stinking filler ark (Nothing good offcourse) Ash will remain lame for rest of his life .

Ash have nothing to redeem himself as a more experienced Trainer in Best Wishes, he didn't even win one contest, Its like even you can't get the Premier League Champion, get a League Cup and FA Cup will be good enough to redeem the team. Not winning anything is not enough to redeem a character.

He have failed miserably in this Generation, N can help to rescue Best Wishes but its like a TV Programme rated 1/10 and even N is the most awesomest character in the universe, he can only make it to 5/10, no better.

First, someone said that him losing all competition is to setup that he will win the league... but... you know....

So Ash and Kotetsu both have two pokemon at the start of this episode, and Ash will lose to Kotetsu's fifth. It's sad.

So Ash and Kotetsu both have two pokemon at the start of this episode, and Ash will lose to Kotetsu's fifth. It's sad.

I don't think it's been stated how many Pokemon Kotetsu has left this episode, we just know Lucario is his supposed last resort. Then again, scans have lied before (Bianca being a threat in this league comes to mind.)

Maybe they'll have Ash at least acknowledge that he did worse, so as to establish some sort of continuity.

Or not since BW doesn't give a rat's ass about continuity. Even if you count dawn's cameos we got nothing about her contests other than the wallace cup was held in johto of all places.

Hopefully Eevee can thrash Kotetsu something fierce.

Granted I could see them rushing the Virgil battle into this ep, assuming Pikachu Vs. Lucario ends after the first 5 minutes.
The title, summary and preview all imply that the remainder of the Kotetsu battle will take up more than five minutes. I don't see why there wouldn't be hype about Ash battling Virgil.

It's been said before, but 'Crecelia VS Darkrai' comes distinctly to mind. And mind you, I remember watching the actual preview for the episode as well and continuing to believe that the battle between the two legends would be the primary focus of the episode. I think most other people got the same impression from the preview as well. The fact that the said fight lasted, quite literally, less than a single minute is a case in point, to say the least.

It's been said before, but 'Crecelia VS Darkrai' comes distinctly to mind. And mind you, I remember watching the actual preview for the episode as well and continuing to believe that the battle between the two legends would be the primary focus of the episode. I think most other people got the same impression from the preview as well. The fact that the said fight lasted, quite literally, less than a single minute is a case in point, to say the least.
It was still the climax of that episode. The rest of it was build-up.

It was still the climax of that episode. The rest of it was build-up.

I'm not sure that is really relevant. If it is, though, haven't they given the end of league battles the mid-episode treatment while making them out to be much more in the previews? Iirc the preview for Lizardon VS Bursyamo didn't give the impression that the battle would be abruptly finished within the first few minutes of the following episode.

I'm not sure that is really relevant. If it is, though, haven't they given the end of league battles the mid-episode treatment while making them out to be much more in the previews? Iirc the preview for Lizardon VS Bursyamo didn't give the impression that the battle would be abruptly finished within the first few minutes of the following episode.
Now I'm not sure what your point is. I don't expect this episode to be spent entirely on the end of the battle, but I highly doubt that there will be time for something more important like another battle. Charizard VS Blaziken was followed by a plot about Gary deciding to become a researcher, but that wasn't the real focus of the episode.

If Ash really loses here, getting Top 8, then he hasn't really went lower than Top 4 or was downgraded as some are saying here. He's technically got the same rank, so if he said that his performance has been weaker, then he'd be lying to the audience and to himself. Now you'll ask, how can that be? It's simple. It's an illusion. Your mind hasn't calculated everything.

How many participants were there in the Sinnoh League? 64. How many are there in the Unova League? 128. Ash beat the same amount of opponents, four, to get to the rank that he is now. Where is the downgrade? I'm not seeing it. If I recall correctly, in every League that Ash has competed in, he has always beaten four trainers and then lost the battle against the next trainer. So therefore, this League isn't any different than the 4 before it.

If Ash really loses here, getting Top 8, then he hasn't really went lower than Top 4 or was downgraded as some are saying here. He's technically got the same rank, so if he said that his performance has been weaker, then he'd be lying to the audience and to himself. Now you'll ask, how can that be? It's simple. It's an illusion. Your mind hasn't calculated everything.

How many participants were there in the Sinnoh League? 64. How many are there in the Unova League? 128. Ash beat the same amount of opponents, four, to get to the rank that he is now. Where is the downgrade? I'm not seeing it. If I recall correctly, in every League that Ash has competed in, he has always beaten four trainers and then lost the battle against the next trainer. So therefore, this League isn't any different than the 4 before it.

Wrong.

Ash fought multiple matches at the prelims in johto, some in short but you counted swalot girl and in Hoenn he beat five. Also as evidenced by backround character not getting bracketed there was an off screen cut down in Sinnoh league. Also you don't have all the varibles they could be more trainers in certain leagues because of population yes or gym difficulty. And if calculate how well he did by how many trainers are higher than him aka distance from the goal Ash would have a higher distance. Also in both his previous leagues after OS he lost to winner being the second strongest in Sinnoh I doubt they would introduce Virgil just to have him lose to Kotetsu.

Wrong.

Ash fought multiple matches at the prelims in johto, some in short but you counted swalot girl and in Hoenn he beat five. Also as evidenced by backround character not getting bracketed there was an off screen cut down in Sinnoh league. Also you don't have all the varibles they could be more trainers in certain leagues because of population yes or gym difficulty. And if calculate how well he did by how many trainers are higher than him aka distance from the goal Ash would have a higher distance. Also in both his previous leagues after OS he lost to winner being the second strongest in Sinnoh I doubt they would introduce Virgil just to have him lose to Kotetsu.

How many matches in Johto exactly? If I recall correctly, to get in the finals, Ash needed to beat 2 trainers. I don't think we know if he beat the third. It's been a long time since I watched it. 64 trainers still competed in that League. Actually, we do have all the variables. 256 in Kanto, 200 in Johto, 256 in Hoenn, 64 in Sinnoh, and 128 in Unova.

Wrong.

How many matches in Johto exactly? If I recall correctly, to get in the finals, Ash needed to beat 2 trainers. I don't think we know if he beat the third. It's been a long time since I watched it. 64 trainers still competed in that League. Actually, we do have all the variables. 256 in Kanto, 200 in Johto, 256 in Hoenn, 64 in Sinnoh, and 128 in Unova.

No we don't Heatran guy was rejected and so was Marowak Luxray guy. And you didn't account for the Losing to a guy who loses thing which is far less impressive than beating a third of the team of the guy who swept every one else including gym leaders.

I'm done we still don't know the population or how the difficulty of the gym leader compared to each other or how high battle enthuism is or what have have you. Tons of varibles right there.

In any case, Ash won't be defeated by a Darkrai and Latios this time, but instead by more common Pokemon. That's got to account for something.

In any case, Ash won't be defeated by a Darkrai and Latios this time, but instead by more common Pokemon. That's got to account for something.

It's not like Ash was on equal ground with the two, except for maybe Latios.

It's not like Ash was on equal ground with the two, except for maybe Latios.
Yet he faired better than any one else against the two powerhouses (every other one of Tobias' opponents could hardly even scratch Darkrai, much less defeat just that one), so he was still a top contender to win the whole thing if Tobias didn't enter. Only Paul and maybe Conway could have done just as well.

That's besides the point, anyway; the point I was making is that there are no trainers with uber legendaries to stop him in his tracks this time, so the fact that he's going out by an "ordinary" trainer doesn't make him look like he's as skilled a trainer as he was before.

Great job writers.

You may have made one of the worst leagues ever. Either way, if Ash loses to Kotetsu or Virgil, it'll suck in different ways. They backed themselves in a bad corner.

If Episode N sucks, this can be worser than Kanto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom