• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW 108: Isshu League Conclusion! Lucario VS Pikachu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another clue to give us hope for Ash winning the 4th place in the Unova League. Let's check Ash's previous defeats in other Leagues:
+ In Kanto: Charizard refused to battle.
+ In Johto: Charizard lost against Blaziken. Before him, Blaziken had defeated Bayleef without any difficulties.
+ In Hoenn: Pikachu lost against Tyson's Meowth. Before that, Pikachu had some difficulties to finally defeat Metagross (who defeated Swellow and Grovyle); then it has to battle against a fresh Meowth without any damage.
+ In Sinnoh: Darkrai defeated Heracross, Torkoal and Gible. Sceptile finally defeated Darkrai, but then it was Latios' turn. Latios defeated Sceptile and Swellow. The last battle was Latios vs Pikachu, with both Pokemon knocked out. Since Tobias still had 4 Pokemon, victory was his.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, as far as we know, Riolu/Lucario battle against at least 3 of Ash's Pokemon: Unfezant, Snivy and Pikachu. If Riolu/Lucario has taken enough damage from his previous battles, there's still a chance for Pikachu to win. Then just like with Ritchie, we only see short clips of Ash vs Virgil, with Ash losing at the end. Making Ash losing in his first Full Battle in Unova League is not worthy. Something tells me Virgil could win the tournament.

Well, opinions?

Difference is Pikachu has already battled and beaten at least 2 pokemon during the battle, so its not as if Pikachu is battling Lucario at 100%. And having montage battles against Virgil for the top spot would be an even worse way to end a league. I just can't see them Skipping over a Full 6 v 6 against a rival in the semi's.

I have another clue to give us hope for Ash winning the 4th place in the Unova League. Let's check Ash's previous defeats in other Leagues:
+ In Kanto: Charizard refused to battle.
+ In Johto: Charizard lost against Blaziken. Before him, Blaziken had defeated Bayleef without any difficulties.
+ In Hoenn: Pikachu lost against Tyson's Meowth. Before that, Pikachu had some difficulties to finally defeat Metagross (who defeated Swellow and Grovyle); then it has to battle against a fresh Meowth without any damage.
+ In Sinnoh: Darkrai defeated Heracross, Torkoal and Gible. Sceptile finally defeated Darkrai, but then it was Latios' turn. Latios defeated Sceptile and Swellow. The last battle was Latios vs Pikachu, with both Pokemon knocked out. Since Tobias still had 4 Pokemon, victory was his.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, as far as we know, Riolu/Lucario battle against at least 3 of Ash's Pokemon: Unfezant, Snivy and Pikachu. If Riolu/Lucario has taken enough damage from his previous battles, there's still a chance for Pikachu to win. Then just like with Ritchie, we only see short clips of Ash vs Virgil, with Ash losing at the end. Making Ash losing in his first Full Battle in Unova League is not worthy. Something tells me Virgil could win the tournament.

Well, opinions?

Difference is Pikachu has already battled and beaten at least 2 pokemon during the battle, so its not as if Pikachu is battling Lucario at 100%. And having montage battles against Virgil for the top spot would be an even worse way to end a league. I just can't see them Skipping over a Full 6 v 6 against a rival in the semi's.

But this is best wishes dude. I'd say considering its track record if Pikachu somehow pulls a 3rd win out of its moneymaker vs Kotetsu the final battle will be a montage.

Maybe Ash will still battle Trip after all. Since Pokemon always reuse "old material", we could see here something like the last episode of Johto's League:
+ At first, and mainly, we see the battle between Ash's Charizard and Harrison's Blaziken. In the end, Charizard is defeated and Harrison pass to the next round.
+ Skip in time, we see the last seconds of the next round, where Harrison's Houndoom is defeated by a Rhyhorn, eliminating Harrison from the Tournament.
+ Skip in time, we see the last seconds of the final, where the trainer that defeated Harrison wins the tournament (his Rapidash defeated a Rhydon).
+ And yet, there was enough time for the main characters to say their goodbyes.

So, now Ash could do the same stuff that Harrison in the last episode:
+ At first, the last battle between Ash and Kotetsu, where Ash wins.
+ Skip in time, last seconds of next round, where Ash faces Virgil and lose against him. To avoid repeating an old defeat, mayeb the last round is Pikachu vs Umbreon.
+ Skip in time, last seconds of the final, where Virgil wins and becomes the champion.
+ And yet, there's enough time for the main characters to say goodbye.

Well, what do you think?

WOAH... so Satoshi isn't going to battle Virgil and will only be making it to the Top 8?! Man, I thought this league was gonna suck before but this... this... I'm sorry but this is unforgivable. The writers are practically acknowledging that Satoshi has had a ton of development dropped.

You know, when he finished in Sinnoh, even though I wasn't happy about the way he was defeated I felt a bit reassured in that I believed that had Takuto not entered with Legends then Satoshi would have won the league... basically, I felt an end was in sight.

But now the Isshu League is ending with Satoshi bumped down in place along with his experience, wisdom and methods. It makes it seems pointless to even watch this show anymore, since the writers could pull this crap at anytime.

He's losing to Kotetsu, so no.

Fixed that for you.

Except there's no reason to think that. We don't even have a summary yet!

What do you mean there's no reason to think that? Of course there is! its the last ep of the league, he's battling Kotetsu in it, Its called Lucario vs Pikachu, not Pikachu vs Eevee, and we do have a summary saying that he is battling Kotetsu and that Riolu evolves and Ash and Snivy are worried. By my count that's 4 reasons to think that Ash is losing to Kotetsu here. There's no mention of Virgil or the Eevee or the semi's or anything, so until we get any word on that, it is very reasonable for people to assume that Kotetsu beats Ash

I honestly don't see how he could be battling Virgil. I seriously doubt that they would put Ash's last match in the last half or so of an episode. If he was going to battle Virgil, I imagine that it would get at least a full episode, if not an episode and a half as a wrap up for the League in general, but since this is the last episode of the Unova League, I don't think that's going to happen. It is still a possibility that they could go that route, especially when they've been rushing battles throughout BW, but I really doubt that they'll rush through Ash's last battle in the Unova League without giving it a full episode. Besides that, as bad as it may be for some for Ash to get into the Top 8 again, I think it would be far worse to not see his last battle in the Unova League. It would just be too unsatisfying for me. Although, being so excited at the thought of Lucario defeating Pikachu probably makes me a bit bias since I'd greatly prefer seeing that than Ash losing to Eeveeultions, if only because Lucario is much more awesome to me.

Although, being so excited at the thought of Lucario defeating Pikachu probably makes me a bit bias since I'd greatly prefer seeing that than Ash losing to Eeveeultions, if only because Lucario is much more awesome to me.
Not only he's awesome, but because everyone inb4 haters can swallow it. If I were Ash, I wouldn't leave my house for a couple weeks if a team of Eeveelutions managed to wipe my team.

The titles often lie. And I desperately hope this is a misleading title.

But what's wrong with Ash losing to Eeveelutions? They're not scary-looking, but the skill of the trainer that should shine through, too. Pikachu did get slapped around by a Magikarp once.

But what's wrong with Ash losing to Eeveelutions? They're not scary-looking, but the skill of the trainer that should shine through, too. Pikachu did get slapped around by a Magikarp once.
That wasn't a team of Magikarps. And the idea of losing to Eeveelutions after beating a powerhouse team doesn't fit me well. ._.

That is a good point on how the titles can be misleading, but considering that the following episode after this stars the new arc with N, I don't think that it's likely to happen here. I actually don't mind the idea of Ash losing to Eeveelutions, especially when he has lost to other Pokemon that aren't generally considered that strong either, such as Meowth and Magikarp, and they have shown Virgil's team to be pretty strong, so I don't think it would be difficult to believe Ash's Unova team losing to them. I just like the idea of Ash losing to Lucario more since it's awesome, but that's from my own personal bias.

and we do have a summary saying that he is battling Kotetsu and that Riolu evolves and Ash and Snivy are worried.

That's not about this episode though.

Um, yes it is.

And even if it weren't, there's still a lot of evidence to suggest Ash loses to Kotetsu, and none to suggest he loses to Virgil, or if he even battles him for that matter. Saying there is no reason to believe Kotetsu wins doesn't hold up when you look at the facts.

I get that people don't want Ash to lose here, and they desperately want the league to be better. I honestly though Ash would beat Kotetsu and lose to Virgil in the Semi's, but now everything points to a loss for Ash in the quarter's.

And sure, maybe by some miracle Ash wins and does face Virgil (even though nothing suggests this is going to happen), but honestly, I really don't want this to happen. It would be an even worse way to end this disaster of a league, having a rushed/skipped/montage full battle for the semi's against a Rival in the last half or so of an ep. It would be terribly underwhelming. If there were a couple more eps and plenty of time for a proper full battle than I would feel different about it.

Last edited:
This really was the worst league of the entire series, especially when you realize it was only 5 episodes long if you don't count the Axew filler.

Granted the Stephen battle looks really good, but that's the only thing about this league that was done well. All of Ash's Unova Pokes will only get one match, Ash literally only battles 3 people that we get to see, and the rivals were all handled horribly for different reasons.

I think the writers are just going to trash all the BW rivals after this and start fresh with the N arc. All their stories are done anyway.

This really was the worst league of the entire series, especially when you realize it was only 5 episodes long if you don't count the Axew filler.

Granted the Stephen battle looks really good, but that's the only thing about this league that was done well. All of Ash's Unova Pokes will only get one match, Ash literally only battles 3 people that we get to see, and the rivals were all handled horribly for different reasons.

I think the writers are just going to trash all the BW rivals after this and start fresh with the N arc. All their stories are done anyway.

I don't know if this League could be any worse than the Indigo League, even with all of the problems this one clearly has. Depending on how Lucario vs. Pikachu is handled, that could make the Unova League more worthwhile for me, although that again has more do to with my personal bias. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if this ended up being the second worst League.

I don't know about how many of the BW rivals they'll actually get rid of after the Unova League, especially when I can only see that happening with Trip and maybe Stephan, but I think that should be taken to either the thread on the N arc or the thread about Georgia and Burgundy's future rather than here.

Pretty much all the rivals have their stories wrapped up. Trip was written off quickly for a reason, and Bianca/Stephen simply don't have any more potential after this, they just got to the league and that's it. Kotetsu/Virgil will likely fade away just like all past league rivals, and especially like Morrisson and Tyson did.

Pretty much all the rivals have their stories wrapped up. Trip was written off quickly for a reason, and Bianca/Stephen simply don't have any more potential after this, they just got to the league and that's it. Kotetsu/Virgil will likely fade away just like all past league rivals, and especially like Morrisson and Tyson did.

I understand what you're saying and there are some points I agree with, mainly Trip being written off and Kotetsu/Virgil disappearing like the other League rivals, but I don't think that speculation regarding the fate of the BW rivals really fits this preview thread. That would fit better with the a speculation thread on the N arc in general or the thread on Burgundy/Georgia if you want to talk about them, but I don't think that the subject of whether all of the BW rivals being written out of the series should be discussed in this thread.

>enters thread
>hears about the title and more
(facepalms)

I really hope Ash doesn't lose to Kotetsu, because then I could call Kotetsu a trope of some sort. But really? Best Wishes, I need a graph to tell you how bad you are, say the one from that Spongebob episode with Chum is Fun.

In other words, Best Wishes, you have a shocky thingy in your toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom