• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BW Wi-Fi battle rules to change: Dark Void to be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have to repeat myself? What if the Pokemon who use rapid spin aren't the player's favorites and prefer to use Pokemon who can handle themselves without support?

Do I have to repeat myself? What if the Pokemon who use rapid spin aren't the player's favorites and prefer to use Pokemon who can handle themselves without support?

Then it's your choosing to do so, just like its anybody else's choice to use a non-broken move.

Stealth Rock is only broken because you make it so with your team choices. I have no idea why everyone else should have to have a non-broken move banned in a competitive environment for someone who chooses to not prepare for it voluntarily.

What exactly is the point of creating a team that doesn't support each other?

Stealth Rock is hardly broken in 3vs3 environment. Battles last 8-9 turns tops unless you're playing Minimize Chansey, and there are fewer switches involved. I have personally seen only one person use Stealth Rock in GBU Singles, and that player was me (didn't have anything better to put on my Ferrothorn, and breaking potential Sashes is always nice). My main team also used to have a Moltres, and guess what, I didn't even need a spinner. SR is really that rare.

I don't think they have done any in-deph research when they banned Kyurem either. It is a 600+ BST legendary, potential cover mascot of the 3rd game, and it might even get a stronger form - that's all reasoning they need, really.

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out that Charizard wouldn't be good in the higher tiers even if Stealth Rock were banned. Charizard would still be easily outclassed by Volcarona as a fire-type sweeper and Infernape in the role of a mixed attacker.

Well, I've never actually used the Wifi Battle feature, but I know how frustrating Dark Void can be, so this is good news.

Let's just ban smeargle. Who actually uses it anyhow?

Or not?

@rawr

With own tempo? very few competitive players, if any.. With Moody, protect, and Baton Pass? Enough. I had the misfortune to run into such a smeargle on Wi-Fi. T1, it got an evasion boost and baton passed to a Porygon-2 @Eviolite. Because of that evasion boost, I hardly landed a hit on the P-2, and what i did manage to hit it with was easily sponged off. It was quite a frustrating loss, to say the least.

Then it's your choosing to do so, just like its anybody else's choice to use a non-broken move.

Stealth Rock is only broken because you make it so with your team choices. I have no idea why everyone else should have to have a non-broken move banned in a competitive environment for someone who chooses to not prepare for it voluntarily.

They tend to ruin dream teams/balanced teams as supports require you to have more than one Pokemon sharing the same types thus giving you a disadvantage over a certain type.

The caltrops mechanic, is in my own humble opinion, one of the worst design decisions to ever be made in the entirety of the Pokemon franchise's history.

They're obviously banning the move so that hacked Pokemon won't be able to use it, that I understand. But...

Isn't there other moves out there that can only be learned by one Pokemon? Or are they only doing that with Dark Void because Darkrai is banned?

They're obviously banning the move so that hacked Pokemon won't be able to use it, that I understand. But...

Isn't there other moves out there that can only be learned by one Pokemon? Or are they only doing that with Dark Void because Darkrai is banned?
They're banning it because people would have Smeargle use it, and it was very powerful in double battles.

I'm very, very happy about this. There's a reason Smogon enforces Sleep Clause, and since official tournaments don't (namely the ones that are always double battles), Dark Void is terrible. It's great that wifi battles are now the same as the VCGs rules, too.

Like SnorlaxMonster said, Smeargle can learn it. Also, hacked Pokemon can't be used in wifi battles. The game scans your team before you enter wifi, and if you're using any hacked Pokemon you won't be allowed to battle. They're banning this move because it's broken, and because Smeargle.

I like how you changed the subject from Dark Void being ban to Rapid Spin and Sky Drop.

They tend to ruin dream teams/balanced teams as supports require you to have more than one Pokemon sharing the same types thus giving you a disadvantage over a certain type.

Which is why you cover for X weakness with a different Pokémon. If you're weak to Fire for example, use a Flash Fire user or a Fire resist.

As said before, there's no need for Stealth Rock to be banned. Your reasoning for its banning is because you're limiting yourself to your favourites. Those who don't limit to their favourites shouldn't have to compensate for something that can be countered and handled. Dark Void simply cannot in Doubles, hence the banning.

Which is why you cover for X weakness with a different Pokémon. If you're weak to Fire for example, use a Flash Fire user or a Fire resist.

As said before, there's no need for Stealth Rock to be banned. Your reasoning for its banning is because you're limiting yourself to your favourites. Those who don't limit to their favourites shouldn't have to compensate for something that can be countered and handled. Dark Void simply cannot in Doubles, hence the banning.
If my opinion matters, I would be in favor of banning it simply for the risk/reward. One turn of setup to get 25% + on types weak to rock is simply too much. If the damage was nerfed so that types weak to rock only receive 17.5$ and 25% (double weakness), then I think we'd have a reasonable compromise. Sadly, changes won't come til next Gen.

Anywho, back on topic. I did come across a Smeargle packing Dark Void in a triple battle, it sucks to have nearly half your team put to sleep in one turn. Still, swapping to my Typhlosion won the battle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom