• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW001: To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!! ・ BW002: Iris and Kibago!

Musashi said:
The only thing I didn't like was that they dumped the Nyasu balloon. Just... no. But i can't say I'm too surprised. :/
You know, I would like it if they changed the balloon for a better vehicle. But not for ANOTHER balloon.

Rusty Shackleford said:
Wait wait wait...people WANT Team Rocket to be serious all the time?
Well, yes. Funny or not, Rockets are less lame the new way. For now, at least.
It's a nice change, in my opinion. They had almost no goals in Hoenn, and were less Rocket and more Coordinator-ish in Sinnoh. Now they are Rocket agents once again, like in the early Kanto.
I don't see anything bad about it.

Don't know about others but for me, that mijumaru was the cutest thing I've ever seen (specially when it defeated Team Rocket), its HAPPY DANCE was so ADORABLE... Ahh I just loved it ;)
An EPIC mizu type starter for Satoshi :D

Okay, Shooti an arrogant dick.

With that said, lets talk about how much I love the first ep.:love: {Missed the second one.}

-YAY, almost no time in Pallet! Getting right to the good stuff!

-Izumi Shimura did a masterful job on this ep, because it is gorgeous.

Giovanni really needs to stop taking cues from darth sidious.

-The "lightning battle'' between Pikachu and Zekrom was engaging.

-The battle between Ash and Shooti was fun. Kinda wish Pikachu had managed to land that Iron tail.

Hey, Giovanni likes coffee. :) And he was kinda happy in episode 2 too.

So did Ash actually catch Miju in these two eps or is it still just stalking him?
He didn't.

I like how TRio are still funny, just with some serious side now too... so they're not too serious and not complete stupids either
This is perfect, exactly how they should be... hopefully this continues through the whole series

Also, I love how in the car when Ash gets excited from the new Poké, Delia changes her expression and look at him in a way that you can get it that she realized Ash will want to travel in Isshu (they just came there for vacation or something, Ash decided to travel there only after he met Shuuti)

Oh man everything that's been said in here sounds amazing. I wish I could watch this new series right now!

I'm glad he didn't catch Mijumaru this episode though, given we had the Mamepato capture and the Koromori capture. A third one would have been too much. Mijumaru is already an amazing character - from it's expression to not being chosen (which made me laugh) by Shooti, to stalking Satoshi, to it's victory dance after beating our buddy Koromori, I can tell it's going to be great. Definitely looking forward to it joining the main cast. More so than the regional bird, who will probably be my least favorite so far. Bleh.

Also, I wish people would lay off Satoshi a bit. I found his enthusiasm and dorkiness over new Pokemon this episode an endearing quality that's unique to him. It's partially what really defines him from other characters. I'm in no way surprised that he was so excited that he literally forgot that he needed to weaken Pokemon first to capture. That actually served two purposes as both a comedy point and a plot point, since Satoshi chucks a Pokeball at Iris thinking she's a Kibago, which was amazing.

I'm definitely looking forward to more Iris, by the way. She's got a lot of spunk about her. The fact that she fell asleep in a tree was pretty cool too and I liked how Satoshi was pretty much "Eh, whatever" about the situation.

I like how TRio are still funny, just with some serious side now too... so they're not too serious and not complete stupids either
This is perfect, exactly how they should be... hopefully this continues through the whole series

Where? When? I don't remember anything funny about them in these episodes...

So Jessie gets a Koromori, but it happens offscreen?

Wow. A main character catches a bat Pokemon, but the capture isn't shown on screen. Sounds almost painfully familiar...

And what about Team Rocket's other Pokemon? Is it confirmed that they don't have any of their other Pokemon anymore? Or are people just jumping to wild conclusions?

With a mustache.

I watched the first episode and the Roketto-dan were only eerily serious.

I wasn't paying too much to the dialogue during the scene with Sakaki, but they're almost never silly around him. xD;;;

Iris looks so cool!

Poor Pikachu, why do bad things happen to ya every region nowdays?

Ugh. Shuuti's coming across as a jerk, but it's cracking me up how he has to take a billion pictures before he even starts battling. But, won't mid-battle shots look even cooler?

I want him to get badly distracted during a battle because SHUTTER CHANCE! -snapsnap- Wait.

What?! I lost my chance at winning this battle?! >>;

The animation was lovely, as was the art.

I loved the swan-like Pokemon. So beautiful~

There wouldn't be much to show on-screen with the Koromori capture. The bats fly at Musashi, Nyarth, and Kojiro and Musashi gets this look in her eye. Next time we see her, she's got a Koromori. The only thing we missed was her chucking a Pokeball at it. Not much there, really, and I'm guessing the writers felt like they had more important stuff to spend time on.

So, did Team Rocket beat Pikachu, the regional bird, or both?

I must admit, it sounds like a borderline retcon; suddenly, TR are hyper competant. Of course, this might be for the better so I shall not mind overmuch.

Poor Pikachu, why do bad things happen to ya every region nowdays?
The built up trauma explains why he is slowly going insane (see; taking up mimicry, starting to attack Ash again).

I hope next time Pikachu beat all his Poké with one hit to make him realize he won only cause Pika had problems at the time
The writers seem kind of reluctant to have Ash demolish important people on screen, and it would rather ruin his role as a theoretically dangerous rival.
So, naturally, I love the idea. I actually think a "rival" whose specialty revolves around being seriously outmatched could be interesting. It'd be like the opposite of Paul.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous question on my behalf...but did the narrator reaffirm, in the first episode, that Satoshi is ten years old?

It's a silly question, I admit, but it would just make me feel a little easier inside if that was the case.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Best Wishes - Satoshi and Pikachu are obviously very excited to be in Isshu. Also, they've made Team Rocket more badass than they've usually been. It was good to see Team Rocket not get blasted off like they usually do. Shooti is also badass. Mijumaru is VERY adorable. Iris is cool, I think she's going to become my most favourite female main human character so far. FUCK YEAH, BEST WISHES IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
icon_cool.gif

One moment I liked was when Iris shouted out Koromori's name and Musashi was all like "Koromori? So THAT'S what this thing's called? It's a nice name!"

Other than that little moment, Musashi and Kojirou were horribly out of character in these two episodes. Nyasu was the only one who acted remotely like himself here.

TRio weren't that out of character - they finally got some "respect" from Giovannie, of course they'd go crazy and do their best and try to be serious for a change!

No, they were definitely out of character. Pre-BW Rocket-Dan would be ultra serious when talking to Sakaki but would loosen up once the video phones were off. But we didn't see any of that here. Just serious, serious, serious.

You can argue that they're trying harder now, for some reason, but "trying harder" is not the same thing as "acting like a completely different person."

I mean, Satoshi was funnier than the Rocket-Dan in this episode. That's how bad it was.

I'm hopeful they'll return to their lovable selves soon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom