• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW001: To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!! ・ BW002: Iris and Kibago!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
BW 001-002 "To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!" & "Iris and Kibago!" Review Thread

BW 001: "To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!"
Satoshi, Orchid-Hakase, and Satoshi's mother set off for the Isshu Region! Once they arrive, Zekrom appears in front of Satoshi! Later, Satoshi meets a trainer named Shooty and decides to battle his Tsutarja. During the battle, Satoshi notices that Pikachu is unable to use any electric attacks!

BW 002: "Iris and Kibago!"
At the Kanoko Town Pokemon Center, Pikachu is restored to full health and becomes able to use its electric attacks again. Later, Satoshi decides to travel around the Isshu Region. He meets a young girl named Iris and helps save her Kibago from the Rocket-Dan.

These episodes aired on September 23rd, 2010.

Re: BW 001-002 "To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!" & "Iris and Kibago!" Review T

Ep 1 - All you need to know about this episode:

Pikachu's Electrile Dysfunction lasts about as long as a bad itch.

Ep 2 - All you need to know about this episode:

Shellmerang.

Re: BW 001-002 "To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!" & "Iris and Kibago!" Review T

THIS WAS AWESOME! I LOVE IRIS! SHUUTI WAS AWESOME! TEAM ROCKET WAS BADASS! AND GIOVANNI!!!!!

Yeah I really like these episodes!

Best Wishes is awesome already!

There really wasn't anything I disliked... Everything was perfect, I liked iris too. And yay, Musashi got Koromori! (I hope it evolves someday because its evo is my fave of gen5.) <3

Absolutely loved the new music. Does Ookido's seiyuu voice the new Pokémon Zukan?

I hope Team Rocket stays this way the whole series! No more Blast Offs!

Mijumaru is an awesome stalker. That's pretty much all you need to know.

Also, Pikachu and Satoshi just aren't having their day - there was alot of physical humor at their expense in episode 2. Satoshi seemed particularly enthusiastic in these episodes.

I can't believe Musashi managed to outbattle Satoshi with a Koromori. That was pretty cool, plus they avoided being blasted off and just ran away at the end.

-I loved the music, but dear lord, that was by far the worst opening visually.
I'm guessing each pokemon is to be taken out of silhouette once they are revealed in an episode/gradually over time, but stilll...it was unattractive CG. And it was essentially just Pikachu running around. That's not a good recepie as far as I'm concerned. Goes well with whine, though.

-Mijumaru definately reeks of Piplup-y mascot-ness. And presumably dated seafood.
Best part of the first episode was easily the fleeting moment in which we see Mijumaru being completely crushed when Shooty picks Tsutarja. Now there's the downtrodden otter I know and love!
I'll admit I really didn't like the 'mon when it was first revealed but...what can I say? It's grown on me like a barnacle grows on a clam shell. It's just so freaky and awkward in it's cuteness.

-Iris left a pretty good first impression, though I wish she'd recieved a bit more focus than she did. The episode was less 'Iris and Kibago!' and more 'Catch the Pigeon!' than anything. Still, she was largely amusing, and I'm really liking her.

-Bit of a downer that the Rocket (and to a lesser extent, Ash's) pokemon seem to have been put on a bus *clicks fingers* just like that.
...wait....Wobbuffet? Wobbuffet?! WOBBUFFET?! :'(

-On the music side of things, seems like everything used here was completely new. I only recognized a very small handful of stuff. Anyone able to name some of it?
The ones I was famillair with were some personal faves though. Wild battle music! Trainer battle music! Gym battle music! Awesome stuff. And hey, the evolution theme finally found it's way in after all these years.

What is in the mind of the writers? Ash forgets how to catch Pokémon again?

Did Jessie has 3 pokeballs? That means that one of the pokemon she had, Seviper, Wobbuffet and Yanmega, is gone?

What is in the mind of the writers? Ash forgets how to catch Pokémon again?

Perhaps he was just too excited and lost his head for a moment? XD

Stalker Mijumaru is pure awesome. A little creepy in some ways, but still pure awesome and cute.

And Team Rocket's bit was amazing as well, especially the strategic retreat via a smoke bomb and vanishing instead of getting blasted off by Volt Tackle.

Some of the music used was from the Zorro'ark movie.

Overall, there was a lot here to like. I loved how the first episode began like the movies, with a sort of mini "World of Pokemon" segment. I really liked how the Rocket-Dan just smoke bombed their way instead of getting blasted off. I really liked their new motto.

I didn't like how the Rocket-Dan seem to have lost all their pokemon :( I also wasn't a fan of how overly serious they were in the first episode.

pokemon-master2 said:
Did Jessie has 3 pokeballs? That means that one of the pokemon she had, Seviper, Wobbuffet and Yanmega, is gone?

They're all empty.

Musashi used one of them to catch a Koromori. So now she has two left.

Kojirou hasn't used any of his three yet.

OK, Best Wishes is the best series, 523456346 times better than all previous seasons... and yes, I can say that after only watching these first 2 eps
I really loved just everything, each and every second was just full of awesomeness
Mijumaru is extremely cute <3 Iris is really funny and has a unique and entertaining personality, TRio actually became kind of cool while still being their old crazy self (and I think we got new motto as expected), apparently they got Pokéballs from Giovannie so Jessie just used it on the first Poké she found (the moment Jessie picked a ball and they were in a cave I just knew she's going to catch Koromori as I suspected long ago since we got that character art scene which revealed Iris), I wonder what's about TRio's older Poké... everyone is shocked to see a Pikachu in Isshu lol... Shuuti is kind of cool actually, I hope next time Pikachu beat all his Poké with one hit to make him realize he won only cause Pika had problems at the time
Seems like Iris is really interested at the Isshu legendaries... oh and I loved so much that Ash's Pokédex scanned Kibago through Iris' hair and was like "it doesn't look like the pic in the dex... oh whatever, go Pokéball!" XD
Mamepato is awesome, I hope they focus on it and give it personality more than previous birds got...
Everything was just awesome... Best Wishes <3
I wonder why they showed the OP twice and no ED, instead of OP once and ED once like most of the hour specials did... maybe it's cause the special airing they had before and after the episodes (I wonder why TV Tokyo's page for today listed the ED then... whatever)
Can't wait for next ep!

IRC log from the time of the Mamepato capture:

[05:42] > Gte Mijumaru already!
[05:43] > noo, go to hell, Boring Bird!
[05:43] > nice troll, writers
[05:43] > nooo
[05:44] > don't catch it!
[05:44] > nooooooooooooooo
[05:44] > yes
[05:44] > stay out
[05:44] > get Mijumaru dammit
[05:45] > nooo
[05:45] > getout
[05:45] > nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I swear, that thing needs to impress to an extreme degree in order to not annoy me. Does Satoshi really need the Regional Boring Bird of EVERY generation?

The series itself seems good so far, but there's little to actually critique... these episodes were largely just setting up the rest of the series, and little else.

Though Mijumaru is awesome.

I was actually feeling the same way. I was hoping Satoshi would catch Mijumaru as his first pokemon of the region, not the token bird.

They're all empty.

Musashi used one of them to catch a Koromori. So now she has two left.

Kojirou hasn't used any of his three yet.

So someone hear thinks that maybe Wobbuffet or Seviper left without showing them leaving?

It's strange.

Yeah... The whole Team Rocket losing their Pokemon thing is going to be one of the most annoying (and equally saddening) things about the new series.

But I suppose the key word is "new". Or maybe "clean slate". It had to be done for the greater good of the series? Such a bummer. No explanation yet either.

I get the feeling the series will be a lot of this "get up and go" style. Stuff happening just so it can happen, like cliff notes version of what normally happens in a region.

New Land: Check
New Characters: Check
New Pokemon: Check

Everything else? Better hope you had good insurance.

These two episodes were amazing.

BW001- Zekrom hits Pikachu, loses its electricity until Zekrom messes with Pikachu again. LOL at Pikachu using its electric attacks on Ash. And Giovanni has a plan. And I loved how Ash was excited about the Isshu starters. And no comment on Shooti, I just don't care, he's really a jerk though. Ash is in a new region with new things but Shooti doesn't care.

BW002- Ash meets Iris. I love that the Pokedex was able to detect Kibago through Iris's hair and that Ash was like "What that's Kibago, I think the Pokedex is broken, because that doesn't look like Kibago, oh well a Pokemon is a Pokemon." And LOL at Ash not catching Shikijika, it looks like the preview didn't lie, Ash did attempt to catch one. But why did it fail, because it was too strong, hmm, that's unlike the games where even if the capture is unlikely it still would go in the Poke ball regardless of strength. Oh well still humorous. And LOL at the whole Mamepato scene and I loved how he caught it.

And darn Team Rocket turned up their level of bad assness, it looks to me like they aren't going to blasted off normally any time soon.

And Mijumaru is ADORABLE!!!!!!!! I just love how it has already bonded with Ash, like checking to see if he's okay like Delia.

Still confused on how Ash is going to catch it with his own Poke ball when it belongs to "Araragi" I guess they'll just conveniently forget that part.

Shooty isn't a jerk. He just thinks that Satoshi is from a hick town and is annoyed at how excited he gets at every little thing.

Iris is kind of similar as well. She keeps referring to Satoshi as a kid because of the way he's acting.

-The countdown had me giggling like a little girl xD
-Already love the introductory beginning
-Airplane!!! AIRPLANE! Man, Oak, Ash and Delia look like a family
-I just want to hug Ash
-How much running Pikachu does an opening really need? A lot, apparently. Love the opening song though.
-Woahhhh pretty blue lights.. shinyyyyy
-IRIS!! Seems she's been searching for Zekrom?
-Yayyyy the professor! Oak's face finally brightens xD
-Oh, Ash <333 Look at his surprised face
-Pikachu tries to hide his electric dysfunction
-Love the town scenery
-Shutti! Taking pictures! Hmmmm, snooty looking Shutti? He really does seem like the secret Paul/Drew lovechild
-TSUTARJA! PICK TSUTARJA! PICK TSUTARJA xDDD
-God I love the music
-Mijumaru cannot take rejection xD
-Why do Ash's rivals always obsess over his Pikachu?
-Miju stalks in the bushes
-Nooo Ash is going to lose.. nooo... ut, meh, it wasn't too painful to watch
-Ominous music is ominous

-Pikachu and Ash.. their relationship is electric
-CRAZY FACIAL EXPRESSIONS FTW!!!
-Oak does look fatter
-Like how Aragi has taken Oak's place as Dex distributor. And I love proud Delia
-awww Iris <3 Her voice is so cute! She's so enthusiastic!
-LOL THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS
-Evil manic giovanni laughter FTW
-The new dex looks so cool
-Ash, stop randomly throwing balls around! TOP 4, ASH, YOU'RE NOT A NOOB! But, it is bloody hilarious XDD
-Lol at Kibago popping out of Iris's hair xD
-Aahh, the return of the crazy pose-throw! <333
-MAMEPATO GETTO DAZE
-So Jessie does indeed have a Korimori!
-MIJU SAVES THE DAY! KAWAIII! He's pretty damn badass too
-I kinda wish Iris was fighting with Ash against TR.. seems strange after Dawn's eternal 'Piplup, use bubblebeam'
-Joy's eyes are MASSIVE.. like, big.. round things staring into your soul.. she's on drugs
-Awwww Miju <3 Don't worry, you shall be Getto Daze'd soon enough.

So, I really enjoyed these episodes. Enthusiastic Ash is adorable, lots of funny moments, although I hope he doesn't act too noob-ish all of BW. So far it wasn't a problem though, as he still acted capable as a trainer. So, yeah, I'm not going to complain about additional humour xD
And as if enthusiastic Ash wasn't adorable enough, we have Mijumaru, the beware-the-cute-one stalker, and Iris and her Kibago, too sweet for words. I just hope we get to see Iris and her Kibago in action too some time soon.

Otherwise, loving TR so far, and Shutti seems quite fun. Just wait till you battle Pikachu again, Shutti..

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom