• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW001: To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!! ・ BW002: Iris and Kibago!

I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the English dub or go ahead and watch these on Youtube. Decisions decisions.

From what I've seen so far, the new series is amazing! I especially loved how Team Rocket was actually serious (though they did keep a bit of comedy. They're sort of like they were at the beginning of the original series.) Kudos to the creators of Pokemon, they've done an excellent job!

Do we know yet that Ash is going to catch the otter-Pokemon?
In one scene in a trailer we see Mijumaru battling Dent's Yanappu during a Gym match and Satoshi is behind it. Satoshi was on the a stand similar to the one Dent was on meaning he Satoshi a challenger. So that basically confirms he is going to get it. Even if we didn't see that, from Mijumaru following Satoshi, it would have been hinted that he might get it anyway.

Yes :p
I did expect him to take Gible with him and that's not even a far-fetched expectation considering that he did the same with Phanpy during the Battle Frontier and also allowed Aipom to accompany him in Sinnoh.
So what's wrong about wanting Ash to take Gible with him??
He has MORE THAN ENOUGH standard Bird-Pokemon. His previous ones had a FEW good fights, but were mostly used as navigation system.
So why another region-specific Flying-type once again? It's my legitimate right to be upset about that boring plot line!
And I'm sure that Cynthia would reproach him because he dumps his old Pokemon as if they were waste. If they were already so well-trained that they could compete in the Champions League or be used against the Elite Four, I'd understand what he does. but leaving behind your allegedly "beloved Pokemon" (Ash never get tired of saying that) which still need much training is highly unfair and even detestable!
Why IN THE WORLD can't Ash just keep his old Pokemon and train them over many years? The writers could still give the new Pokemon to the new characters. By doing so they'd hit two birds with one stone: Ash would really get stronger and would eventually win a league for a change and they could still showcase the new generation.
It's so easy... I just don't get it why it can't be that way and this upsets me more and more. I can only repeat that if I were the writers, I'd create the perfect Pokemon...

And yes, I could also give comprehensive answers to all your other questions and I'd love to do do so, but this would be offtopic.

Ash gets new Pokemon every generation so he can keep moving forward. If Ash still had Bulbasaur, Charizard, and Squirtle, can you imagine how monotonous the series would get?! Ash captures new Pokemon so he can have new experiences each time. (And if Ash had always kept his Pokemon, he wouldn't have gotten Gible in the first place.)

OMG... So, Ash obviously behaved like a rookie once again at the beginning of an adventure and all he managed to catch was the compulsory standard Bird-Pokemon which he captures in every region and only uses for lame search-missions (" Mamepato, look for xyz. Good Mamepato, you found it! Return to your Pokeball" *yaaaawn*)
Not only does it have ugly evolutions, its movepool is pathetic compared to Ash's previous Bird-Pokemon's attacks and to make things worse it obviously is terribly weak.
Oh dear, everything is just as bad as I expected it to be.
I want my great and fantastic DP Anime back! After Sinnoh everything can just become worse... Damn you writers, for forcing Isshu on us

*me is frustrated*

Ahh but it was Zekrom's mighty powers which turned Ash back into a rookie and made Pikachu weak yet again (well in my head its the only explanation). I did let out a groan when that bird was captured though. I would really have preferred Ash to get the Koromori, apparently it evoles by happiness for soothe bell continuity (and i still want to see them used damn it!) and because Ash's secondary fliers (my term for the more unusual ones like Butterfree, Gliscor and Noctowl) can make great pokemon and interesting battlers.

So yeah so far unimpressed be the new series but I'm still hoping it'll start to suprise me soon.

I'm loving the new series, especially the new Pokedex. I really can't wait to see more. I loved how Team Rocket disappeared in the puff of smoke. It looks like my favorite villanous team is returning to its glory days.

For some reason, Ash reminds me of Naruto now. So much for mellowing with age. :*(

But in all seriousness, he's actually pretty cool. Him returning to newbie status was cool at time, but kind of frustrating at other times. Like the battle with Shuuti. Even though I couldn't understand the Japanese at all, I could tell that Shuuti was being a jerk. It kinda made me upset when Tsutaaja managed to beat Pikachu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Rocket-dan fan from way back, and I love how romantically goofy they always are, so naturally, their sudden "srs bsnss" mode in these first two episodes caught my attention. Putting it in the context of the events of DP191, however, it makes sense that they're just putting on the dramatic act to keep Sakaki fooled. Their appearance in these episodes was all about establishing that. My guess is that they're going to be taking their work a little more seriously from now on, but they'll continue to be the same lovable romanticizing Rocket-dan we've always known. Just with fewer giant mechas and explosions. And even if they do go back to that, I won't complain, so long as they remain fun. They spent most of their time reporting to Sakaki in these episodes, and once they're on their own again, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the dramatics. (I am going to miss Sonansu, though, but it had a good run - ten years is more than I would have expected.)

Everything else in this saga is shaping up to be great. Satoshi is such a tourist - his wide-eyed eagerness to see all the new Pokémon in Isshu is just what his character needed. Now he's experienced, but he's still a hyper little kid, which is a nice mix of his Kanto and Shinou character traits. It says "reboot", but it also makes sense considering how long he's been a trainer. (And I admit I shouted a fanboyish "YEAH!" when he turned his hat backwards right before capturing Mamepato.)

Iris seems like such a fun character, too. Seeing her smother Pikachu with hugs and then get zapped for her trouble was predictable but still really cute. And speaking of cute, Mijumaru officially steals the show. I'm surprised this has never been done before - a starter Pokémon who really wants to get picked by a new trainer, then gets all disappointed when it doesn't and seeks to prove its worthiness. Seeing Miju use its shell like a boomerang to take out the Rocket-dan balloon was purely epic.

Isshu really does feel like it's going to recapture the spirit of Kanto - fun and adventurous, with lots of laughs too. Bring it on!

Okay, saw the pics. They are good eps but... Can somebody tell me why a fresh starter pokemon knows a powerful leaf storm like that? At least it left a rather big carving in the ground. He should have gotten May's torchic, serves him right.

Okay, saw the pics. They are good eps but... Can somebody tell me why a fresh starter pokemon knows a powerful leaf storm like that? At least it left a rather big carving in the ground. He should have gotten May's torchic, serves him right.

That attack was Grass Mixer.

In my opinion it wasn't the best pair of episode ever but it was still good. I'm still angry they got rid of Team Rocket's pokemon. although this is probably because they got rid of the characters the voice actors (mainly Wobbuffet) mainly play, although Wobbuffet could have done with a goodbye episode.

I also do not like the fact Ash seems weaker - he may not be, but I don't want him to have to be mentored by two gym leaders anymore, especially when Brock realised he he growing up so didn't need his help. Though it is inevitable. Iris and Kibago are cute, and I always like Mamepato.

Though, eh. Nice episodes, but...
7/10

Well for me who watched this series from the beginning it was very dissappointing to see "this" Ash: rookie trainer who doesn't even know how to catch a pokemon.

Rival is disgusting. Even the fact that his main rival is the beginning trainer is upsetting. Really. This BW series you can watch only if you forget that Ash was indeed a good trainer who won Battle Frontier and had a good matches against strong trainers. Because otherwise it is very hard.

Well for me who watched this series from the beginning it was very dissappointing to see "this" Ash: rookie trainer who doesn't even know how to catch a pokemon.

Rival is disgusting. Even the fact that his main rival is the beginning trainer is upsetting. Really. This BW series you can watch only if you forget that Ash was indeed a good trainer who won Battle Frontier and had a good matches against strong trainers. Because otherwise it is very hard.

I dunno why people keep saying that Ash is a rookie trainer. That's not the point of the episode. The context of the episode is one where Ash is excited by being in a new region and new Pokemon and rushing into things as a result. He's not going to be a rookie trainer.

Ash is clearly just a little too-excited and he's having an off-day as a result. It's also done for the humor it brings - you have to admit that seeing Ash bean Iris with a Pokeball was pretty amusing. I'll guarantee you that by the time they hit Sanyou Gym at Episode 5, he'll be much more composed.

I like that they've made him like this because it builds on his character. We already know that Ash is basically a huge Pokemon nerd/geek that gets super excited over them and this builds on that. Anyway, yeah, they aren't depowering him/deskilling him/whatever, so don't get too upset and enjoy the episode.

After episode 2, just a few more (mostly general) things to add:
1. The music! <3 Brilliant. It made me so happy to hear so many tunes I recognised as well having been reincarnated.
2. Wooaaah. The TRio didn't blast off?!
3. Is it me or is Mijumaru resembling a Pochama#2?

HolyShoe pretty much said everything that needs to be said regarding, uhh, 'rookie' Ash.

This kid lives and breathes pokemon, and Isshu to Ash is like a (..different?) kid to a candy store. He got a little overzealous about the prospect of all the new 'mons up for capture and chucked a pokeball at the first things he saw in his excitement. This is Ash we're talking about. Something like that isn't exactly grossly out of character.

Also, it was all in good fun, so...yeah. Quit getting hung up on this kinda thing guys :p

I don't know if this should be put here since there must be a thread for that episode, but did anyone notice in the next episode preview, that one of the crocs wear glasses. Considering it was the lead of a group, this screams Squirtle shot out.

Back on the premier eps, how did I forgot to say this!? Araragi is hot. But she's hot AND cool. I hope she gets more screentime than Rowan, Birch and Elm. I think she will, since most likely Oak (as well as Delia) will return to PokéJapan within the few next episodes.

How is Ash still 10?!

Maybe Pokémon Leagues are held every two months and not every year as it's been speculated, thus it has happened less than one year in-anime time. Given that the regions are based off of areas in Japan that are not thaaat big, it is plausible. Or maybe just negative contonuity.

You know what? It's harder to believe Bart Simpson is still 10 after 21 years and like 10 Christmas episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom