• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW001: To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!! ・ BW002: Iris and Kibago!

A majority of those are because they just didn't fight Ash, but now they did.

Actually thinking about it, that probably is what Abaddon meant. Abaddon probably wasn't clear about that.

I mean this is the first time in a long time from what I remember, that they tried to steal a Pokemon but did not blast off (in some fashion). I can't remember the last time that happened.

The only time that Team Rocket really hasn't blasted off is when they aren't really fulfilling a antagonistic role in the episode.

The only time that Team Rocket really hasn't blasted off is when they aren't really fulfilling a antagonistic role in the episode.
Well, there was that one episode where James asked Ash to blast them off to escape from Jessiebelle. xD

I really liked these episodes, except for a few minor problems:
* The opening is absolutely horrible. Whoever came up with it should be fired.
* Prof. Araragi looks off-model in some scenes.
* Team Rocket didn't blast off.

Air slash forms a ball of air, that attack was probably air cutter.

Ash's Mamepato used Air Cutter (which resembles a X-shaped mass of air).
In the Diamond and Pearl anime, Air Cutter (mainly used by Team Galactic's Golbat) resembled what Air Slash looks like now.

Air Slash used to look like a giant ball of condensed air (way back in Diamond and Pearl).

Just to be clear, Mamepato used Air Cutter and Jessie's Koromori used Air Slash.

Ash's Mamepato used Air Cutter (which resembles a X-shaped mass of air).
In the Diamond and Pearl anime, Air Cutter (mainly used by Team Galactic's Golbat) resembled what Air Slash looks like now.

Air Slash used to look like a giant ball of condensed air (way back in Diamond and Pearl).

Just to be clear, Mamepato used Air Cutter and Jessie's Koromori used Air Slash.

That's the weird thing. Togekiss's was a ball of air. Koromori's is buzzsaws.

Digging the new Iron Tail animation, too. Not glowy anymore, but now a literal Iron tail.
we won't know Mamepato's gender until it fully evolves

We knew Staravia's before it evolved (remember the decoy?)

So... Giovanni wanted TR to not cause suspicion so they left their Pokemon behind AND he wants them to cause enough of a racket to alarm "them". Is that how it is?

Just watched it today... Yeah, I'm always late.
To be frank, I didn't get a word of what they said - right, I'm lying here. Of course I understood the few English words they use once in a while, as well as half a dozen Japanse words, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, overall I loved the episodes! The animation was pretty good, the humour hit the spot and there was a plot. I don't really know if they said anything about it, but I suppose Team Rocket is aiming for Pikachu to get Zekrom? Actually, I like that idea, at least they get a good reason to go after Satoshi.

Speaking of Team Rocket, hurray for their new competitive selves! Right, they lost due to Mijumaru, but it had the surprise element.. Satoshi better watch out next time! Smoke bomb is way cooler than blast off after all these years, even though I expect a blast off or two for nostalgia's sake.

I also loved Kibago. I don't like its evolutions much, but the "randomly popping out Iris' hair" gag will be a good one for me if it's not overdone. I wonder if it will evolve, especially since we get the evolution on the opening?

Can someone clear me something up, please? Who was that woman by Sakaki's side - his secretary or something?

Looking forward episode 3~

That settles it. All arguments about Ash's current age have just been ended

"Well, while canon is obviously the biggest decider in this sort of thing, I think that you can sort of ignore the canon sometimes...

Let me explain with a tangent: in Warhammer 40,000 (you don't need to know what that is), there is an official statement in the rule book that Space Marine Chapters comprise exactly 1,000 Marines. This has been rebuked by many members of the community, who upon making calculations realized it was not logistically possible given the other information about Chapter composition. It is a widely held belief that the "1,000 Marines Chapter" is a myth.

The same applies here. Even if canon says Ash is still ten, numerous sources point to his being older: the anniversary of him and Pikachu meeting, mentions of how long he's been traveling, and frankly, the fact that he's done all that he's done. You can't do all of it in one year.

Therefore, while canon states that his age is 10, indeed, it is probably not a widely held belief in the community of fans (I don't have any actual figures about his, just my educated guess).

Of course, for those who chose to adhere to canon, that's fine, I usually do for most things."

Credit for this goes to The Normish.

The strongest indicator we've ever seen in the anime of the passage of time may be yet to occur. If the seasonal gameplay from the games is reflected at all through Ash's journey in the show, it would prove the passing of at least a year.

I don't understand the confusion over which attacks were Air Slash and Air Cutter, since both have the exact same names in Japanese.

We really need Team rocket to come close to winning. As in, they get Pikachu and stay hidden with it for an episode or something, I would find that pretty awesome :lol:

I'm I the only one who played Miju's victory Dance over again and again? :-D
The opening is actually decent..

As a guy who likes consistency in his attacks, it's going to be hard for me to adjust right away to the new animation for certain moves. After seeing Thunderbolt come out as an abstract yellow lightning bolt for so long, having it fire off like a actual lightning strike is going to be weird. Quick Attack is now like a power aura of white instead of a white streak following behind the Pokemon. Iron Tail and Volt Tackle are changed but for the better in my opinion

And then we have all kinds of crazy with Air Cutter, which looks like an airborne X-Scissor now, and Air Slash, which becomes little buzzsaws. Someone want to explain that one to me? Gust continues with its ability to mystify me in how little I can differentiate it from Whirlwind. Damn birds.

And Water Gun... remains looking like Water Gun. Oh joy. Here's hoping we see Double Chop or even new abilities.

Well the new animation for Air Slash better fits the description of the move itself in the games: "The user attacks with a blade of air that slices the sky." Back in Diamond and Pearl, Air Slash was nothing more than a ball-shaped mass of air (which didn't make sense imo).

As for Air Cutter, they wanted to differentiate it from Air Slash (especially for the Mamepato/Koromori battle). Whirlwind is an attack that is not used often in the anime. Neither is Gust. To the animators, it doesn't matter if the attack animation is the same.

I think it was Air Cutter.

The first move that this particular Mamepato is shown using is Gust. It is followed by Quick Attack, and then Air Cutter.

Last edited:
Well, there's little difference between a gust of wind and a whirlwind.

Also, I think ash is so clumsy because of the new kids. A kiddy hero who makes the same mistakes as them is appealing.They need to drive the ''weaken before catching'' thing home. Still, he looks and acts younger then he did in late D/P. Although we do all remember the episode when Ash and Turtwig got lost in that stantler forest... Idiocy ahoy!

What worries me though, is that pikachu get's thrown around by fresh starters, the common bird, and getting wounded after ONE attack of a untrained cave bat! Come on, 4 episodes ago it was going up against a legendary pokemon!

Last edited:
Getting wounded after ONE attack of a untrained cave bat!

That air slash looked deadly, not to mention Koromori did knock out Mamepato with one hit, the bat must've been really powerful. But don't worry in a few episodes, Pikachu will one shot it like Pikachu "always" does.

I mean after the whole Zekrom thing, do you really thing it will recover full strength (legendary killer) after a few days? It's probably very likely that Zekrom did reset Pikachu's power. Pikachu may have gotten its electric attacks back but I doubt thunderbolt and Volt tackle can deal the same amount of damage it did in the league.

They already aired, and being one-off specials, they'll never be rerun, so... either invent a time machine or find someone who taped them.

Oh okay. Thanks. So I suppose you don't know where I can post about the Best Wishes site? I have a question about the videos on it.
I forgot to add that I liked the music during the battle in the first episode. Also is this the place to ask if anyone thinks Team Rocket acting so serious is out of character for them? My appoligies if it not.

Last edited:
I don't see why the way a move looks needs to be preformed exactly in that way regardless of who's using the move. To be honest, I'm not really convinced that the move was Air Slash.

To be fair, Air Slash is a powerful attack and Mamepato was just caught a few minutes ago and it was weakened by Pikachu as well. It isn't exactly fair to call Mamepato weak or Koromori strong.

So I guess no one is going to mention how cute Iris and Kibago is.

People HAVE mentioned that, it's just that we still don't have much to go on yet. We're not even certain when Iris will actually agree to travel with Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom