• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

Figured as much...

Again with Latios and Regice... basically, what you're saying is we should throw away Pikachu's power level in 650+ episodes just because in 2 (extremely badly written) episodes, it defeated/tied with a legendary pokemon (both times in totally unbelievable manner).

What makes the episode where Pikachu tied with Latios more representative of Pikachu's strenght than say Playing The Leveling Field where Pikachu lost to a gym leader's pokemon it also had a type advantage again. Oh yeah, it happened again 9 episodes later... Let's not even talk about his loses to Elekid, Onix, Magmortar, Luxray and all the matches where it couldn't do a whole lot but faint.

Also, it's really hypocritical to say on one hand that it's perfectly believable to have Pikachu defeat/tie with a Legendary pokemon despite being an unevolved pokemon and yet it's not ok for Hiyappu to do the same. Want to know what the difference between Pikachu tieing with Latios and Hiyappu defeating Pikachu is? In Hiyappu's case, its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.

It's not a question of not liking pikachu, it's a question of looking at this show in its entirety and realizing that Pikachu's normal level that's constant throughout the series is that it's strong, as strong or barely stronger than a Raichu, but not an invicible god that can kill things just by looking at them and is totally immune from losing.

Yes.

All of this,also,take into account that is not "pikachu tied against Latios",is Sceptile,Swellow AND pikachu took down a Latios.

Yes.

All of this,also,take into account that is not "pikachu tied against Latios",is Sceptile,Swellow AND pikachu took down a Latios.

Not really. Did Sceptile or Swellow even hit Latios? I'm pretty sure Latios basically demolished both of them without even taking a hit.

Anyway this happens at the beginning of every new region, why are people so surprised that it happened again? The writer's needed to showcase all three gym leaders and that meant that Ash had to lose to one of them. I would rather see Pikachu go down than Pokabu, Mijumaru or Mamepato

Tackle? that's it?

a new generation and none of Ash's Pokemon has shown a Gen V move yet

all we know is that Mijumaru knows Shell Blade and he hasn't officially used it yet..

and the same to you gym leaders! what I thought was boiling water was only Water gun (which makes Pikachu look even more pathetic)

so so far the only new move we've seen are Grass Mixer and Shell blade

great..

Actually, Tackle got quite a power up in the new generation, at least according to serebii.net

its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.

Jumping on Latios' back doesn't count as a strategy? (as if its any different than firing a water gun at someone's feet).

And I still don't know why you think it was crap writing. I can understand Regice even if I disagree with certain people's sentiments, but against Latios I'm not seeing how it was cheap. After all as I said, the only move that likely did direct damage to Pikachu was the final luster purge and even then that was probably only due to the explosion.

But really that argument aside, Pikachu legitimately lost to Hiyappu and it's previous wins/losses are rather moot. Corn just knows how to handle electric types, he wouldn't be a gym leader if he didn't have some strategy against them, he's not supposed to make it easy for the challenger.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom