• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

Let's outline jsut how similar to Brock Dent is.

1. He's the first gym leader.
2. Ash beats him not only with a type that is at a disadvantage, but also with water.
3. He also has a brother that's a gym leader.
4. He can cook.
5. And of course, he's Ash's traveling companion.

All in all though, a wonderful episode.

And another thing, he can judge battles.

He's not similar to Brock, he IS Brock.

The Brock/Misty thing could be explained by the fact that Misty's sisters were the main Gym Leaders of Cerulean City.

Yeah, except he he didn't know them either. Nor did he give the impression he knew anything about any of the other Kanto leaders.

That was epic :O

Dento is my favorite anime charecter, ever. His two brothers are awesome as well. The way they walk into the spotlights at the begining was awesome;and Dento's constant spinning is great. The battling had me on the edge of my seat and I love pokabu even more now.

Mijumaru's cowardness is sooo adorable :S I really love the way Yanappu showed miju up with his jumping around.
If I hear any more remarks about Pikachu loosing because its level 100 I will cry. Get over it! Pikachu starts at level five every region -_-

Looks like team rocket will have a large role next episode. I look froward to it; I think they did a good job of seting us up for it in this episode.

I bet this has been said a million times during this thread but what was ash thinking.
First battle vs the fire monkey.
Ash's thought : hmm he sent out a fire pokemon, i have mijumaru which is water and pokubu which is fire, pikachu which is eletric and that bird i forgot i had. hmm i got it pokubu is the best option.

i mean really fire vs fire ugh

and during the water monkey vs pikachu how did he loose? its ridiculous ever factor was in his favor and he lost

and then at the end with vs the grass monkey. 1st off why did ash send out mijumaru instead of the bird (ash logic brought to you by japan). second off how did the monkey know solar beam . For a first gym leader having that move is insane, he must have got a TM or something XD

but overall still a good episode, can't wait to see what team rocket has up there sleeves.

I didn't like this episode one bit, sorry guys. Pod was cool, but thats all I liked about this episode.

If the writers wanted to go for diversity they could have atleast tried to differentiate Dento from Brock. Relation to Women, referee, can cook, is the first gym leader, episode 5... will probably be the smart one.. I'm hardly pleased about this in the slightest.

He's a Brock clone and there's no denying that.

If the writers wanted to go for diversity they could have atleast tried to differentiate Dento from Brock. Relation to Women, referee, can cook, is the first gym leader, episode 5... will probably be the smart one.. I'm hardly pleased about this in the slightest.

Really? Aside from cooking/referee, I don't see any similarities.

Dento isn't going after girls, and most importantly girls actually like him unlike Brock. Secondly he is a grass type Gym leader and seems nothing like Brock.

And lastly he's more flamboyant. I think Dento will be much more successful than Tracey was.

I think all the Gym Leaders need to have a meet up...seriously, they all work for the Pokémon League and don't know each other...

I didn't like this episode one bit, sorry guys. Pod was cool, but thats all I liked about this episode.

He's a clone in the same way Dawn is a clone of May, in that they're not. They're two separate characters with similarities.

He doesn't give a crap about girls. So he can cook and referred this one match and all of a sudden he's a clone?

Dento isn't going after girls, and most importantly girls actually like him unlike Brock.
But don't you get the feeling a new gag will be girls going after him? It doesn't matter if it's the other way round - it's a parody of Brock on itself by having the girls like Dento instead.

But don't you get the feeling a new gag will be girls going after him? It doesn't matter if it's the other way round - it's a parody of Brock on itself byn having the girls like Dento instead.

If we start seeing that in every episode, then maybe so. As of right now its just that the Gym has cheerleaders. We didn't see Iris fawn over Dento.

And lastly, Tracey also refereed matches back in Orange Islands. And Tracey was also, "smart." What is the big deal?

Your Brock faness is showing, comparing Dento to Brock really? We are only just having him appear, to me he doesn't seem to like girls like the others said. He seems a bit like Harley if any thing, without the evil, I think the writers will write him right.

Dent is even cooking that much? Only thing we know is, he made some cakes in some future episode...

Lol I just finished seeing the episode. Everytime I see Dento come on view, I think Tamaki-sempai! Lol... If you don't get the reference then... Whatever... He's a lot like I imagined him which mostly came due to the fact of his seiyuu being already in the role of Suoh Tamaki.

Anyhow, onto the episode review, it's quite excellent for a gym battle episode. Dento and his brothers are very entertaining characters...

I dunno if it's just me or does it seem Iris has a crush on Dento? the music that came on when he first was talking to her about her Kibago and the way she looked at him... Well, it was wishfulshipping.

Satoshi's reaction to being taken to a restaurant when it was obvious to him before coming in that Dento was taking him to a gym was priceless.

Speaking of which, somebody said earlier that Iris seemed shocked that there's a gym there...

She was the one to tell Satoshi to ask about the gym... But she was shocked that the gym was connected to a restaurant.

Is it just me or does Dento look like a monkey??

Ash's strategy with Pokabu was awesome, and I liked the pig's reaction to winning, wanting Ash's approval. So far, each pokemon has a very distinct personality that just makes them lovable.

It was funny how on each part, Iris was hoping to see Pikachu battle...

Doesn't anyone think it's strange that Ash hadn't even tried for the most part to get a type advantage against each one? Only Pikachu and that's the one that lost.

I have a feeling that team rocket set a bomb underneath the gym...

Can't wait for the next episode.

Why are people comparing two different characters to one another?

Other than the fact that Dent is a gym leader, he is nothing like Brock. Speaking of Dent, we still don't know why he would want to suddenly quit his profession as a gym leader to follow one of his challengers around.

Does anybody know what move Hiyappu uses at the end of the match against Pikachu?

So? I have characters I like and I can be disappointed with an episode if I don't feel the writers executed it correctly. I never said Dento would like the girls, just have a relationship with girls, as in, they'll like him. Actually having that which is the opposite of Brock makes it just a stab in the back to Brock fans.

Does anybody know what move Hiyappu uses at the end of the match against Pikachu?

Water Gun
---------
Team Rocket didn't do much this episode. Climb down a sewer and call the boss for something.
And Dento is just as epic as his voice implied. All the ladies love him.

I'll just skip to the part everyone cares about. My ideas are mine. I may sound like an idiot, but whatever.

Round 1: Pokabu vs. Baoppu
Ash must get reset every generation like Pikachu does. I refuse to believe any other possibilities to his stupidity. And the fight was pure crap. The sad monkey continued to dominate Pokabu until he got the monkey's tail and flung it to a wall. The battle turned completely around and Pokabu walked out seemingly unharmed.

While that could have earned him the badge right there, Ash chose to take on all three and we have 11 minutes, so Commercial Break time

Round 2: Pikachu vs. Hiyappu
"Type advantage? What type adbantage? I'm a level 14 blind kappa-monkey that can spit water and slash faster than a level 5000 mouse can charge Thunderbolt. Volt Tackle, you say? I inherited Mud Sport from my father, so I have no fear."

Didn't land a single blow. They didn't have BS battles in DP like they do now, that's for sure.

Round 3: Mijumaru vs. Yanappu
Mijumaru acts tough, but once more chickens out to a foe bigger than itself. And with every right to be afraid. Of course monkeys like that are agile, but this one made the otter look like a total fool.

Oh, and that last move by Yanappu. Totally original idea (sarcasm)

And we're going into extra innings.

Final thought: This episode borders on painful. I hope the next one wraps the fight up in a better way.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom