• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW022: Hiun City! Fushide Panic!!

To those who wondered why Ash, Iris and Cilan were allowed to join Juniper to the Desert Resort, Pokemon is a series where kids under 18 years of age can catch wild creatures with great powers on their own to use in sports and recreational purposes and where certain trainers have even helped saved the world from various villainous organizations with their Pokemon. Juniper probably needs backup from Ash as she knows him well (Oak probably told her about Ash's previous escapades).

Let's face it, the Pokemon world may be similar to our world but it's very different because of Pokemon themselves and because of certain laws of their society. Hell, guns probably don't exist (as of now) because Pokemon can be much more effective weapons for criminals. The weapons used by criminal organizations are probably considered illegal. So it's really not worth comparing to our society as there's probably a good reason for most things in the series. I admit that somethings don't seem so plausible but hey, it's Pokemon.

Good Points
  • Mamepato evolves.
  • Tension arises between Shooti and Satoshi.
  • Professor Aragari reappears as the Rocket-dan plot begins to unfold.
  • Arti returns and displays his personality.
  • Iris and Cilan try to help with the problem.

Bad Points
  • I think Satoshi should have caught that Fushide instead of Kurumiru now.
  • Mamepato should have done more before evolving.

Overall this was a solid episode where Satoshi builds a bond with a Fushide, Mamepato shows some personality and evolves, and the Rocket-dan plot begins.

The whole city perspective and size vs. actual size really does put a damper on the scale.

The Goldenrod-Castelia picture is a good example. In the context of the games, Castelia is probably one of the grandest cities every constructed. It's also graphically the most unique and offers things in a new light, such as the skyscappers and the docks. Yet in the anime it looks rinky-dinky.

I think putting so much thought into making Castelia was the downfall. Because it was so well envisioned, constraints were put into place. In essence, it becomes less impactful in the anime, where we've had HUGE city after HUGE city show up in all manner of episodes and fillers. Things like portside towns and a grand metropolis built on harbors are already common place. When working with less, there's more freedom to add whatever the heart desires. The Goldenrod screenshot proves this -- it looks like modern-day Tokyo. If you ask me, the Skyarrow Bridge had more significance. Luckily, we've got about 4 more bridges to go.

I was also not a fan of the art in some places. I felt this way going into the anime, but unless you discount some really specific scenes amd one or two particular episodes, everything else looks too clean and too Play-Dohy. Too goey, flat, and no shading.

I'm glad Pidove evolved, Tranquill has a nice design :3
But I care more about Sewaddle, I'm waiting to see it evolving to Swadloon in the next episodes.

And... Trip is so shit. :Z

Good Points

Agreed. Venipede > Sewaddle and Scolipede > Super nanny Leavanny.

I don't think Kurumiru, when fully evolved, matches Satoshi at all. Neither does its second stage. The first stage goes pretty well with him though. But that's another topic...

Fushide is so cute! Really would've loved if Satoshi caught it. Mamepato's evolution was written in really nicely to me, and I really like the new evolution animation. Great ep, Arti's tune was cute.

Speaking of Shooty, we didn't see him use his camera at all in tonight's episode.
I assume somebody answered this earlier in the thread, but I don't feel like reading all of it so yes, we saw him using it when they first spotted him.
It would have been great to see the "TP steals Bell's Pokémon in Huin City" plot in the anime.
Come on dude. We should be past the "follow the game plot" desires by now.
Good Points
Haha. I guess I agree as well, but it wouldn't matter. I think the complaints against would have been the same

Oh yeah, great seeing everybody doing some awesome stuff in the episode today. It was a lot of fun to watch all those Fushide running around and that Quadruple Flamethrower.

Last edited:
For a second I thought the writing on the ice cream shop was Kanji. Why are they still doing this 4kids left a long long time ago?

Yeah Hatooboh was awesome nice music too BTW.

More IPAD products in Pokemon.

Last edited:
Holy crap, looks like Castelia is in a crisis... of adorableness. Was definitely not expecting the Venipede to be so cute, and the poisonous hugs would have made a great running gag. Oh well.

I don't think the episode revealed anything about Trip I hadn't already figured out. He's travelling to beat Gyms and catch pokemon, not to make (human) friends. I think we've still got a while before his defining episode comes along.

For a second I thought the writing on the ice cream shop was Kanji. Why are they still doing this 4kids left a long long time ago?

The made up language is for an international audience. It was never about 4Kids.

The made up language is for an international audience. It was never about 4Kids.

So your basically telling me the animators miraculously said "let's makeup a language" they didnt see 4kids' handiwork or anything?

Worst thing is this is happening in other dubs too cause' they think international people cant handle a little Japaneseness and using Pokemon as a example.

Who knew that centipedes can be so adorable? (Well, Pokémon has always made obscure and scary animals into amazing characters, so this isn't a surprise).

As for the way Castelia looked, isn't that screenshot of Goldenrod City from a movie? Those always have far higher production values and detail then the main anime. I'm not surprised that it didn't look as impressive as the game version.

The episode itself wasn't too bad, although it did cement Trip as a very smug character.

One bit I found amusing was that in the scene where Cilan brought Nurse Joy, there's a Venipede crawling up a lamp-post, only to fall off when it reached the top.

The ep itself was fairly generic, but it was all the characters roles that made it good.

Loved seeing Iris/Dento/Trip/Joy helping out. That made the ep for me.

nope, it was from an episode

and yeah, even though that, i truly liked Castelia's looks as they are pretty close to its game self

I assume somebody answered this earlier in the thread, but I don't feel like reading all of it so yes, we saw him using it when they first spotted him.

This amused me very much so. There is a crisis in Hiun City and what does Shooti do before sending out a Pokemon? Takes a picture for his scrapbook!!! XD

I BET MISTY/KASUMI-CHAN WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED!

What was up with the new Title Card Music?

They are not kids. No one in the anime treat them like kids before, why now?

Castelia was a let down for me. It's not big or spectacular like it should and reminds me filler towns or cities. They also change the geography around the city.

They're not kids? I don't care what anyone says when they announce that Ash is ten freaking years old, he's a kid, a little kid at that. 10 years old= little kid, a child no matter what world you live in.

I BET MISTY/KASUMI-CHAN WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED!
Wow, you're right. *totally forgot about that* I bet her head would blow up if we showed her a Surskit.

@ Lotty: What about a world inhabited by short-lived bug-people? Middle age could be 7.

BW 22: Castelia City! Venipeid Panic!!

Pros
+Ash's Pidove evolves into Tranquil
+Iris, Cilan, Trip, Burgh, and Nurse Joy all help out. Creative use of Pansage!
+Trip has a Lampent
+More personality from Burgh
+The Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma plot is unfolding.

Cons
-Axew's "Dragon Sneeze" is just getting annoying now! He's not Gible!
-No Oshawott
-Pidove didn't do a whole lot before evolving.

It's an alright episode, I just wish I knew what Trip was saying.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom