• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW038: Zorua The Movie! The Legend of the Pokémon Knight!!

Luke. I thought the premisse of a movie maker was interesting and I liked that he seemed passioante about it, but... I don't feel I really got a sense of who he was and what his personality was. He wasn't really entertaining, but he definitely wasn't dragging the episode down. I just wish we'd have seen more sides to him.

Luke mentioned in the episode that he loved producing films.

Not every recurring character needs to have a boisterous personality or "multiple interactions" to be intersting and/or to prove a point. Luke was introduced as a director to film, and this occupation helped to bring out Zorua's true highlight (its ability to change into another person). It couldn't be helped that the character just so happened to "merely" give orders to the actors on set instead of being a part of the picture himself. We've had a great deal of movie directors in the past, but Luke was the first example of a director who happened to be a child and a pokemon trainer at the same time.

Furthermore, Luke dressed up in old-fashioned European style clothing. This sets the character far apart from either the old Japanese style of clothing or bland, "modern" dresswear that a great deal of COTDs wore in the past.

Luke may be a bland person overall, but he is a unique character as well. At the same time, this episode's premise was well within Luke's comfort zone. Luke's caretaker insisted that he participate in the tournament in order to truly understand the feel of being involved in a battle. His participation in the Don Battle may help to bring a few sparks to Luke's personality and exposition as a recurring character.

Oh wow, two of Satoshi's reserves appears in the same episode. Oh wow, neither has show even a freaking hint of personality, or brought any humour or entertainment value. So nice of the writers to keep giving me those nice little reminders that their choice to give Satoshi too many pokémon was a bad one, and that Kurumayu should be released.

1. Swadloon was seen assisting Luke's Leavanny in sewing together the costumes. Without the costumes, certain characters such as Ash and Cilan would have been unable to act on set. Whether you like the pokemon or not in battle, Swadloon's presence overall was necessary in producing the film. In his own way, Swadloon was focused on completing an important task, and that was conveyed on-screen.

2. Ash sent out his Tranquill only because Zorua was blown back in to the air by Jessie's Woobat's Gust attack. Tranquill was the first pokemon Ash had in mind to send Zorua out to prevent the pokemon from getting injured and falling to the ground.

It is important to remember that not every time a pokemon is sent out that it needs to have a personality or to express anything comical and maintain the flow of an episode. Swadloon and Tranquill were both sent out as a result of necessity, not out of sheer reminder that some viewers may hate the way that both pokemon will be treated. Due to their individual characteristics (i.e. Tranquill's ability to fly and carry a small pokemon on her back, Swadloon sewing clothing using a special liquid from his mouth), the pokemon were sent out to simplify a task or to address an obstacle. Ash could have sent out Snivy to save Zorua instead, but alas, Snivy's Vine Whip may not have been long enough to grab Zorua at that height.

Just as Pikachu, Axew, and Pansage were sent out to serve as the "weapons" to each of the main characters when they were working together on the film, the other pokemon were also used in that same fashion. Human characters simply lack the ability to perform many of the great tasks that the pokemon are able to with relative ease. Are we to assume that just because they are shown far too much for their own good that Pikachu and Axew should not have been used in the film? This debate can go both ways.

This is the difference between sending a pokemon out of necessity, and sending a pokemon out just to include it in some form in the episode. I agree on one point: Snivy and Emolga's fighting was completely irrelevant to the actual plotline, regardless of whether or not you liked or disliked the way this feud had been handled in the past. It was included primarily to keep the younger viewers entertained with the episode.

I think they should slow down, neglect him a little bit and then make him shine, but really shine in later episodes when people will stop getting used to seeing him as often.

I agree. It would be nice for the writers to find ways to occupy Cilan for a while, but if this is being done in almost every single episode, we will not care for the least bit about his character in time.

Think about it. Just last week, Cilan was expressing his love towards fishing. Two weeks prior to this, Cilan remarked about how he was intelligent and observant enough to make a great detective. A few weeks before this, Cilan preached about his love towards science. It also seems to me that the writers simply want Cilan to act as a mentor to the younger and less experienced members of the group. Last week, Cilan lectured Bianca and Ash on how to properly use a fishing rod. This week, the writers decided to give Ash stage fright just so Cilan can lecture the young trainer on how to play a role in a film.

In two of these cases, Cilan had hardly made any other contributions to the overall plot. He was simply there to attract the attention of the viewer, just to prove that he was the breakout character.

As much as people love Cilan, too much of a good thing will turn bad quickly. Hopefully we won't see too much of Cilan in the next few episodes so the viewers can get back on track and focus on what is really important. Whatever Cilan may do in an episode will not make or break an episode. There are other important and interesting characters on the main and supporting cast as well.

Last edited:
It looks like my assumption of the sketches on Sunyshore of Mijumaru eating an apple being from this episode turned out to be wrong; the little otter didn't even appear in this episode.

As for the episode itself: even though Nyarth getting lovestruck by a disguised Zorua was kind of a redeeming factor, I've gotten rather tired of the TRio after seeing them meddling in four episodes (five counting the Hiun fishing tournament) in a row. The Don Battle tournament can't come soon enough.

Ash has never been on stage before, so I think it's understandable we see his stage fright. Since you know, it is his first time.

I thought this episode was amazing by the way. Great animation, music, and everyone participated. One of the better episodes we had in the last few weeks. Reminded me a lot of the original series.

And just because a character is bland doesn't mean they don't have a personality, that is their personality. Even though I don't think Luke is bland, not every character has to be outgoing and wacky to be "interesting".

Last edited:
Wasn't he a bit afraid to talk on the Goldenrod City Radio Show back in Johto? Though, that's not the same as stage fright.

Luke may be a bland person overall, but he is a unique character as well.

But was he entertaining? No. End of story in my book. I'm not saying I disliked the character, but I can't say I really liked him either. He was just there, and for someone who's gonna remain with the main cast for a few episodes, he really didn't make an impression.

1. Swadloon was seen assisting Luke's Leavanny in sewing together the costumes. Without the costumes, certain characters such as Ash and Cilan would have been unable to act on set. Whether you like the pokemon or not in battle, Swadloon's presence overall was necessary in producing the film. In his own way, Swadloon was focused on completing an important task, and that was conveyed on-screen.

But was he entertaining? No. End of story in my book.

2. Ash sent out his Tranquill only because Zorua was blown back in to the air by Jessie's Woobat's Gust attack. Tranquill was the first pokemon Ash had in mind to send Zorua out to prevent the pokemon from getting injured and falling to the ground.

But was she entertaining? No. End of story in my book.

It is important to remember that not every time a pokemon is sent out that it needs to have a personality or to express anything comical and maintain the flow of an episode.

Not every time, no, but sometimes it's important because it connects the audience to the pokémon, which neither has done since evolving, and in Kurumiru's case... ever, so that when they do show up just to battle, I might actually care to see them.

I agree on one point: Snivy and Emolga's fighting was completely irrelevant to the actual plotline, regardless of whether or not you liked or disliked the way this feud had been handled in the past. It was included primarily to keep the younger viewers entertained with the episode.

But was it entertaining? No. End of story in my book.

Ash has never been on stage before, so I think it's understandable we see his stage fright. Since you know, it is his first time.

Except for you... know... that it's not his first time being in a movie. He's been so in the past, or other acting jobs and was fine with it. And hey... all those Leagues... he's sorta use to the big stages. XD

The only time he was shown to be nervous about something was when Mary interviewed him all the way back in Johto and she showed him how to get past that, and he was fine when it was time to replace the cast of a radio show afterwards.

But was he/she entertaining? No. End of story in my book.
This is a rather lousy argument, how can you expect a Pokémon to be entertaining even in scenes which aren't meant for that?

This is a rather lousy argument, how can you expect a Pokémon to be entertaining even in scenes which aren't meant for that?

Because the mission statement for a television show is pretty much to entertain. If the characters don't do that, then there's no real point for there to be on screen. There was no real need for us to see Satoshi & co making costumes and decors, since they could have easily implied it, but they deliberately chose to show it. Why? Entertainment. Did they succeed in that mission by having Kurumayu there being blander than bland doing jack? No.

I'm getting tired of Dento

I'm mainly getting tired of that bad BGM that they keep playing EVERY time Cilan is doing something... seriously, this BGM is annoying me more than Cilan himself... give him a better BGM or just stop trying to give him a BGM "of his own"...

the little otter didn't even appear in this episode.

Actually, Oshawott DID appear in this ep! In that scene where we also saw Snivy and Emolga killing each other, before/after them, we also saw Oshawott, and also Ash's Swadloon
It was really short and quick, so that's easy to miss... but it appeared and I enjoyed seeing it even if only for a second <3

Lolz it looks like some people are getting "Dented-out" XD I'm positive he'll be toned down in the next few episodes for the Don Tourney, I don't know about the Meowth episode, and then I'm pretty sure a Gym Battle will come up (soon) after that. Also hopefully some TP stuff (and N). ^^; I just want to enjoy Dento while he lasts, he won't be there forever.

I'm mainly getting tired of that bad BGM that they keep playing EVERY time Cilan is doing something... seriously, this BGM is annoying me more than Cilan himself... give him a better BGM or just stop trying to give him a BGM "of his own"...

I personally love that music. It sounds so devious yet happy and dance like XD =D I KNOW! That should be his RING TONE!!! I want him to get his own theme that he sings already.

Because the mission statement for a television show is pretty much to entertain. If the characters don't do that, then there's no real point for there to be on screen. There was no real need for us to see Satoshi & co making costumes and decors, since they could have easily implied it, but they deliberately chose to show it. Why? Entertainment. Did they succeed in that mission by having Kurumayu there being blander than bland doing jack? No.
It's obvious that Dento was the one meant for entertainment, Pokémon were just bonuses. Whether they displayed personalities or not, I enjoyed seeing them again.

Whether they displayed personalities or not, I enjoyed seeing them again.

That's good for you, I actually like to be entertained by Pokémon when they appeared as opposed to be bored stiff. Kurumayu, Hatoboh, Pikachu and Kibago bored me to tears in this episode, as they have in most of the episodes they appeared in so far in Best Wishes, which was ridiculous as this was A- an episode that was meant to be comedic in nature, and B- in that there was nothing about what they did in this episode that actually prohibited them from showing more personality. Kurumayu could have been crap at sewing and gotten angry, or been extremely competitive in sewing against Hahakomori, but it was just there, blander than something that's really bland. Same goes for the other three I've listed.

There's just no excuse to have pokémon in there just be boring and not interacting.

There's just no excuse to have pokémon in there just be boring and not interacting.
I think the excuse would be the fact that this episode focused more on the human interactions, their "acting skills" and filming the movie in entirety rather than having Pokémon interact with each other.

I think the excuse would be the fact that this episode focused more on the human interactions, their "acting skills" and filming the movie in entirety rather than having Pokémon interact with each other.

But there's nothing preventing one from the other. In the same amount of time they wasted on Kurumayu being boring, they could have had, Kurumayu working on the movie while being entertaining without taking anything away from the other stuff, and that's my point. There's no excuse for having pokémon in an episode, and having them be boring. All in all, the writers chose to include Kurumayu and Hatoboh in the episode, and therefore, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to discuss whether their presences were actually entertaining. To me, it wasn't. If they rocked your world, good for you. I fail to see how they could, but good for you.

Swadloons's expression juxtaposed alongside Leavanny's smile entertained me.

End of story in my book.

It was ok, I guess.

Zorua is one of my favorite new Pokes, it was good to see "her" in this ep. Kinda funny all the masculine Pokemon are turning out to be girls. I love that trickster fox Poke and her Illusion Ability. I liked the way she would jump and transform into the Pokemon or person. Random ass fox, why turn into Iris when Satoshi is right there? Oh, yeah I forgot you hate turning into boys xD But, then why did she turn into Pikachu and Kibago who are both boy Pokemon? Pikachu, he zaps the heck outta anybody these days.

Seeing Luke crawl through Iris's hair, lol. Kinda cute how she watched those movies. Why did they make her sound like a puppy? Kurumayu and Hahakomori, xD hilarious I know Kurumayu are naturally quiet and Hahakomori are like that, that made me smile. Mijumaru's the hotachi fighter so Satoshi was right having him make the swords.

The Squirrel and the Snake fight again. They overdid it with Dento's little theme song this episode, seriously how many times did that dang song play? The theme that plays whenever he talks with his eyes closed.

Satoshi having stage fright is kinda outta no where, the only time I remember him having stage fright was at the Goldenrod City Radio Show and that wasn't really stage fright.

Iris's voice actor, is voicing Iris's character, voicing Iris's character xD

Elecball was really showed off. Good to see Charizard DR though. I'm gonna bust a gut with hilariousness if Kibago uses DR on "Charizard Bridge" a.k.a Driftveil Bridge. Dento's Yanappu's Solar Beam is as awesome as ever. Pikachu backing up Elecball with Thunderbolt is something I wanna see in the Don Battle.

Kinda want to see this movie now. LUKE. IS MY FREAKING HERO! FINALLY A PERSON WHO ACTUALLY ATTACKS TEAM ROCKET WHEN THERE ESCAPING! They actually made the movie better. And Superhero Dento, lol. Legendary Dragon Master Iris lol. Team Rocket were looking at them like they were crazy. Hatooboh being used! Yes!

Zorua being a little trickster and turning into a girl Nyasu. When she could have knocked Nyasu out easy. Nyasu going crazy for her. Night Burst one of the best moves I like and seeing Zorua launch it. In the end the Dragon Master is the Princess, Princess Iris. Not sure what to think of Iris in a dress, so used to her being a more wild jungle girl with mad skills then a Prom and Prim Dento-ish, Hikari-sh Princess.

Last edited:
Great episode today!! I absolutely loved seeing Dento in his pirate costume. It was great how he helped calm Satoshi down. (It surprised me to see Satoshi so nervous) And honestly, I thought Iris looked cute as a princess. Maybe it's not her style, but I still liked the dress on her. I just really like when characters wear something different than what they usually wear.

And Zorua is so adorable! As someone mentioned earlier, I would love to see the movie in full, just because it looks so amusing. A predictable plot, of course, but that's what just makes it even more funny.

TBH, I hardly paid attention to any of Satoshi's pokemon. I was more focused on the human characters. I always find the human characters to be more entertaining than the pokemon, so they really have to do something interesting to stick out for me. So, I wasn't exactly entertained by them. But, it doesn't bother me not to be entertained by them, as long as the humans get focus.

However, the most interesting pokemon in today's episode was Nyasu <3

bash me if you want, but i thought Iris was rather cute in the princess outfit for the brief period she wore it, sure I know it doesn't fit her character but that's what makes it more intresting, with May and Dawn you'd obviously expect them to wear outfits like that, Misty and Iris on the other hand when they dress up they stand out like crazy.

Announcer: Miracle Fighter the movie Part 24: Miracle Shooter no Nazo. (Wonder Fighter the movie part 24: Wonder Launcher of Mystery)

....24....parts?...why so many?
It's popular, just like all the Potter movies and Lord of the Rings movies. Personally I've seen neither.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom